1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer are you drinking now? It's 8 O'Clock Somewhere: #17

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davey101, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Hey guys, hopefully a lot of us went out and voted today. I had a rare Tuesday off so its a Tandoori Chicken Panini from a local place plus some Widmer Nelson. Thinking of what to open later in the day. So BA, what are you enjoying on this Election Tuesday?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bstyle, gtermi, Maction and 23 others like this.
  2. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

That looks delicious. I was supposed to be off today but decided to volunteer since i missed Sunday and want the extra hours.

Hopefully a Backwoods Bastard when i get home depending on how i feel

Zaphog, LiquidDegenerate and davey101 like this.
  3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

What are your thoughts on Nelson? I've seen it a few times but I always seem to pass it up. That panini is making me damn hungry.....

4. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I'm trying to bring Summer back by drinking one of these:
    [​IMG]

Did it work? Starting to feel warmer here anyway... :)

5. davey101

I'm a fan. Its tough to find fresh bottles but when its within a month or two its very solid. Nothing too amazing but I've found myself drinking a lot of this beer lately. Just a hint of that exotic Nelson Sauvin hops.

Love that beer! Cheers!

Zaphog and MichPaul like this.
  6. MichPaul

By a stroke of luck, a buddy of mine still had 5 left out of a sixer of this and he hated it! Lucky me!!! :) Enjoy your day off, I usually work at 2:30, but work at 7 tonight, so I though I could sneak in a good lunch time beer.

Zaphog, robinsmv and davey101 like this.
  7. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

How's the 78 holding up? One of the nicest surprises for me this year.

8. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Savant (340) Indiana Aug 5, 2012

SN Estate Ale

Zaphog likes this.
  9. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I might indulge in a SN Celebration, but sadly I do not vote. This of course is a very deep subject in which we can discuss over many ales!

larryi86, Zaphog and JxExM like this.
  10. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

After a day of fall yard work and clean-up, my gf and I are enjoying HF Everett...

robinsmv, funhog, jzeilinger and 2 others like this.
  11. MichPaul

I'm still liking it man! Still good carbonation, and tastes good. That's all I care about! It would be interesting to have a fresh one to compare it to though... Wonder if we'll ever see these fresh again.

12. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Couple of Short's Ale la Reverends while waiting for barbecue takeout. Chowing down on barbecue and drinking Two Hearted tonight while watching election returns (Yep...total dork here).

Cheers

powpig2002, yamar68, Zaphog and 5 others like this.
  13. Had one of these two weeks ago and it was AWESOME. Totally shocked me, it was a grapefruit/guava bomb. Would have loved to try this fresh, great beer.

MichPaul likes this.
  14. I bought this year's Backwoods on Sunday, then immediately got a terrible head cold. Haven't been able to taste anything since. Today is the first day I've been sort of better. Might open one tonight, might wait another day. Seeing Backwoods sitting there in the fridge, eyeing me as my sick ass goes for another vitamin water...it's been tough.

I'll get you, you old Bastard. Soon. Soon.

15. About to indulge in LeFreak .

fmccormi and MrHolland10 like this.
  16. davey101

I had the first batch back in early 2011. I was shocked to see it return this year, so hopefully it is a somewhat annual release.

MichPaul likes this.
  17. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Maction, buddha5050, yamar68 and 6 others like this.
  18. MichPaul

Yeah, I had it only this year. Honestly it took me a couple to grow on me since it was first "Tart" type of beer ever, but after probably the second, I was hooked! Did the same thing with DFH Aprihop. Didn't like the first one, but now I love it!

davey101 likes this.
  19. Hey folks! No classes on Tuesdays for me so I'm sipping on this while doing some studying:
    [​IMG]

This is one of the better Saranac brews in my opinion...Pretty solid, in fact.

And listening to the new Enslaved. It's so impressive that this band has been around since the early 90's and they still put out fucking amazing music on every single album:

Cheers!

JxExM, Giovannilucano and HeyJim like this.
  20. Shilt

Shilt Savant (395) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

SN celebration to start, and a very fitting growler of Avery's Ale to the Chief later this evening. Cheers!

Ptomaine likes this.
  21. Ptomaine

Ptomaine Zealot (95) Kentucky Sep 20, 2012

Just about ready to break open a bomber of FFF Dreadnaught. Was able to score a couple this year and was anxious to see what all the hype is. CHEERS...

dsal89, BB1313 and deadonhisfeet like this.
  22. Had a very strange day. Happened to be in the Harrisburg/Hershey area so I stopped by Troegs for some Mad Elf, Flying Mouflan, and Perpetual (that was bottled just last week - Fist pump!). Have a glass of fresh Perpetual sitting in front of me right now, one for the road before heading home.

23. scud

scud Savant (325) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

24. davey101

Mystic Vinland One B1. Saison brewed with a wild yeast strain isolated from local MA plums.
    [​IMG]

bstyle, yamar68, larryi86 and 5 others like this.
  25. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Whoa, nice! How is that one? I have one of the Sauv Blanc saisons in my fridge right now, might get down on that one tonight. I've been very impressed with all of their saison offerings (especially an dreolin) but didn't really care for the dark ale

26. I'm starting with an Artic Panzer Wolf... Mmmm

dsal89 likes this.
  27. davey101

I actually really like it. Drinks like a saison with some dubbel like flavors. Lots of plums and bready caramel malt over hay, funk and lemons. I've been after one of the Sauv Blanc bottles for a while now. Where did you find it? Open it up! It sounds amazing!

28. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

damn i need to stay off this site till Thanksgiving

29. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I grew up in MA and that's where most of my family lives. I have a cousin who helps out with their bottling, I guess. I saw him at my brother's graduation party this summer and gave him some Heady that the lady and I brought down. He loved it and told me to meet him near his house on the way back up to VT. I hadn't even heard of Mystic and he gave us an awesome box full of their stuff. Last time I went down I brought him a couple 4 packs because the Mystic stuff was so damn good! We just started getting their stuff in VT, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that Vinland One :D

davey101 likes this.
  30. Founders Tap Takeover at my local bar.....Backwoods Bastard, KBS, Imperial Stout, and Backwoods Bastard. Put it on the Underhill's tab.

31. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

Day 8 no power...as a dispalced NY resident, I can still vote, but only for president and senate and not the local elections which matter most...oh well...sipping on a Black Butte XXIV porter now that I'm done working (remotely) and while I wait for my in-laws to come over so we can rock the vote and then go out for some dinner.

Was really hoping to pick up a bottle or a few of the blue point election day brew and head over to captain lawrence for the pilot batch tasting, but alas with the gas and power situation as it is, I'm firmly planted where I am. Stopped by the house earlier today and saw LIPA trucks in the area for the first time since the hurricane which is promising...but no power yet.

Here's to hoping all those affected by the storm and keeping their sanity.

[​IMG]

32. MichPaul

Sounds awesome man! Hopefully all that is flowing at the "Breakfast Stout Breakfast" this weekend. Enjoy!

33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I had a couple of pint...glasses of Hobgoblin at the Old Chicago. Now I'm sipping on a Sierra Nevada Celebration.

[​IMG]

34. freewill35

freewill35 Advocate (615) Indiana Oct 27, 2007

Great Divide Hibernation Ale

dsal89 and BB1313 like this.
  35. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

That sounds awesome. We need more saisons, and unique ones like that, in the beer world.

36. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

[​IMG]
    Pipeworks Koval Whiskey Barrel Aged Smoked Porter A+

37. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Question: I have an older Cigar City snifter (ca. January, 2011), and I've noticed the ones I've seen on the shelf recently appear to be less globular than the one I have. Is that accurate, or am I making this up in my head? The newer ones (and that one there) seem more "boxy" than the one I have. Am I just an idiot, or is that true?

38. Giovannilucano

We send you all the good vibes your way, beer wise and spirit wise. As I have mentioned in other posts, we were not hit here like the shores and where you are at. To me this is bitter sweet, as I do not like to see people suffering.

Take one day at a time! :D

cosmicevan and jzeilinger like this.
  39. Giovannilucano

*coughs* Piccolo Birrificios' Sesonette *coughs

Seson, rated Italian's best Saison-style interpretation in 2006, is spiced with, among others, Chinotto (a small bitter citrus fruit, which is now under the protection of SLOW FOOD organization) and matured in Chardonnay wooden barrels.

Spices: Juniper, Chinotto peel, coriander
    Hops: Hallertauer
    Style: Saison
    Malts: Pale malt, Vienna malt, wheat malt

Appearance: Big yellowish foam, orange-golden color
    Aroma: Citrusy, touch of lemon and lime , grainy
    Flavor: Pronounced citrusy notes, turning bitter (chinotto influence!) and tart , very well balanced against its malt sweetness
    Finish: Blend of citrusy, bitter-tart character lingers forever

Chinotto: small bitter citrus fruit from the chinotte (myrtle-leaved orange tree). It grows in the regions of Liguria, Tuscany, Sicily and Calabria. It is of bitter and sweet taste and often served as aperitif to open the palate

fmccormi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.