1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danoeltico, Jan 15, 2013.

1. For certified cicerone?

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Yep.

3. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

brewed awakening. so far so good.

4. Oxford companion

5. Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calagione. Part beer book, part business book, part motivational book. a good and interesting read so far.

6. Reading BJCP guidelines for class during the day.
    At bedtime I read old Fabio novels, 50 shades of Grey and a random Dr. Seuss masterpiece. (Preparing for Gang Bang BIF Round 3)

7. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

Finally finished the Oxford Companion a few days ago - waiting for The Lagunitas Story by Tony Magee to be delivered.

8. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. About to try my first batch. Fingers crossed...

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  9. Craft Beer Bar Mitzvah. The story about Shmaltz Brewing. Interesting, funny and a good story about the problems and milestones of starting a business.

10. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Savant (400) New York Oct 13, 2010

I'm going with tasting beer, brewing up a small business, the home brewers companion, Oxford, and brewmasters table while studying for the certified cicerone exam and the BJCP exams

11. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Ashville Beer by Anne Fitten Glenn. Pretty decent thusfar, and explains the Ashville boom as of late.

12. Just finished The Lagunitas Story, by Tony Magee. Very enjoyable read. Substantial parts of it are more like a primer on how to manage and grow a small business. The Lagunitas anecdotes are well worth it.

I got Tasting Beer, by Mosher last Christmas. Excellent work, and one I refer back to frequently.

13. I might have to check this one out next! The Asheville area is awesome!

14. Drinking with George is a great book, it is by George Wendt who played Norm on Cheers. I met him at a local craft beer night a year or so ago and got a signed copy while he was promoting his book. I do not think I have ever read a book faster. Great read an highly recommended!

zekeman17 and njhopspop like this.
  15. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewery. Great book on Beer/Food pairing.

RyanLigeia likes this.
  16. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

I agree that was a good read. Great stories about his early career.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  17. stig

stig Aficionado (165) Minnesota Jan 21, 2007

Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow

18. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (715) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Re-reading 'Great Beers of Belgium' and ' Good Beer Guide to Belgium' in preparation for my trip in April.

19. Working on "The World Atlas of Beer" by Tim Webb and Stephen Beaumont. Awesome gift from my brother! I should be done with it by tomorrow. I grabbed "The Beer Book" by Tim Hampson and "Barley Wine: History, Brewing Techniques and Recipes" by Dick Cantwell from the library, and I am waiting on Michael Jackson's "Great Beers of Belgium" to come in the mail. I am also thinking of buying "IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale" by Mitch Steele since from what I have heard it is suppose to be very well written and packed with information. I love beer books.

20. Me too. I have a history degree. Besides beer books I am reading two books on the crusades and one on medieval society. I took a cultural history class in college that focused on the eating and drinking habits of Europeans in the middle ages through the Renaissance, and I found that subject so interesting. I also took a British empire class that focused heavily on British control of India. That was my favorite class throughout college. I watched Chris from Beer Geek Nation's review of the IPA book, and the history aspect of the book is why I want to buy it. From what I have read the Brit's were huge hop-heads.

21. North Carolina Craft Beer and Breweries by Erik Lars Myers. Awesome book if you are a carolinian

Rion likes this.
  22. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Plug 19th-century British recipes into Beersmith and nothing comes out under 50 IBU's. That's even when knocking down the hopping rate to acocunt for some older hops. And tht's just the Milds. Pale Ales and Strong Ales are mostly over 100 IBU's.

23. "Amber, Gold & Black" by Martyn Cornell. Subtitle says it all: "The History of Britain's Great Beers." A must read.

Loved the chapter on West County White Ale (Britain's lost beer style).

24. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski.

25. The Brewmaster's Bible

26. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

Not a "Beer" book, per se, but "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" is the funniest shit I have ever read!

27. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Pennsylvania Breweries by Lew Bryson

HeyJim likes this.
  28. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

CBlack85, herrburgess and marine1975 like this.
  29. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (330) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Saw this book mentioned a couple of times in this thread, here is the full name and author if someone wants to find it. "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" 3rd Edition (2003) is what I am reading, by Charlie Papazian

30. Lost Beers and Breweries of Britain by Brian Glover.

on deck-
    The Craft of Stone Brewing by Koch, Wagoner and Clemens
    Shakespeare's Local by Pete Brown

31. I am also reading The Brewmasters Table 'discovering the pleasures of real beer with real food' by Garrett Oliver (brewmaster of the brooklyn brewery). AWESOME book loaded with all kinds of info on every major beer style, not just pairing.

32. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (480) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

The Brewmasters Table

33. randal

randal Savant (315) Texas Apr 21, 2004

Brew Like A Monk by Stan Hieronymus, although "The Drawing of the Dark" by Tim Powers may be the best beer story book ever.

34. Beer Quest West by Jon C. Scott (2011)
    the craft brewers of Alberta and BC , so far an interesting read also a steal at $6

35. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

I picked this up in the bargain section a few weeks ago - it is actually a rather good read so far.

[​IMG]

JonnyGT20 and ditch like this.
  36. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

Beer and Philosophy: The Unexamined Beer is not Worth Drinking, is a fantastic book that is not totally beer centric, but enlightening.

37. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

"Designing Great Beers" was just delivered to my place this week. I've barely touched it so far though