1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What beer book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danoeltico, Jan 15, 2013.

1. danoeltico

danoeltico Member

For certified cicerone?
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

Yep.
  3. tronto

tronto Member

brewed awakening. so far so good.
  4. portersdad71

portersdad71 Member

Oxford companion
  5. jonmacklin

jonmacklin Member

Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calagione. Part beer book, part business book, part motivational book. a good and interesting read so far.
  6. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Member

Reading BJCP guidelines for class during the day.
    At bedtime I read old Fabio novels, 50 shades of Grey and a random Dr. Seuss masterpiece. (Preparing for Gang Bang BIF Round 3)
  7. rob133

rob133 Member

Finally finished the Oxford Companion a few days ago - waiting for The Lagunitas Story by Tony Magee to be delivered.
  8. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Member

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. About to try my first batch. Fingers crossed...
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  9. jageraholic

jageraholic Member

Craft Beer Bar Mitzvah. The story about Shmaltz Brewing. Interesting, funny and a good story about the problems and milestones of starting a business.
  10. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Member

I'm going with tasting beer, brewing up a small business, the home brewers companion, Oxford, and brewmasters table while studying for the certified cicerone exam and the BJCP exams
  11. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Member

Ashville Beer by Anne Fitten Glenn. Pretty decent thusfar, and explains the Ashville boom as of late.
  12. InfernoBoss

InfernoBoss Member

Just finished The Lagunitas Story, by Tony Magee. Very enjoyable read. Substantial parts of it are more like a primer on how to manage and grow a small business. The Lagunitas anecdotes are well worth it.

I got Tasting Beer, by Mosher last Christmas. Excellent work, and one I refer back to frequently.
  13. danoeltico

danoeltico Member

I might have to check this one out next! The Asheville area is awesome!
  14. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Member

Drinking with George is a great book, it is by George Wendt who played Norm on Cheers. I met him at a local craft beer night a year or so ago and got a signed copy while he was promoting his book. I do not think I have ever read a book faster. Great read an highly recommended!
    zekeman17 and njhopspop like this.
  15. njhopspop

njhopspop Member

The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewery. Great book on Beer/Food pairing.
    RyanLigeia likes this.
  16. njhopspop

njhopspop Member

I agree that was a good read. Great stories about his early career.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  17. stig

stig Member

Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow
  18. Jwale73

Jwale73 Member

Re-reading 'Great Beers of Belgium' and ' Good Beer Guide to Belgium' in preparation for my trip in April.
  19. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Member

Working on "The World Atlas of Beer" by Tim Webb and Stephen Beaumont. Awesome gift from my brother! I should be done with it by tomorrow. I grabbed "The Beer Book" by Tim Hampson and "Barley Wine: History, Brewing Techniques and Recipes" by Dick Cantwell from the library, and I am waiting on Michael Jackson's "Great Beers of Belgium" to come in the mail. I am also thinking of buying "IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale" by Mitch Steele since from what I have heard it is suppose to be very well written and packed with information. I love beer books.
  20. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Member

Me too. I have a history degree. Besides beer books I am reading two books on the crusades and one on medieval society. I took a cultural history class in college that focused on the eating and drinking habits of Europeans in the middle ages through the Renaissance, and I found that subject so interesting. I also took a British empire class that focused heavily on British control of India. That was my favorite class throughout college. I watched Chris from Beer Geek Nation's review of the IPA book, and the history aspect of the book is why I want to buy it. From what I have read the Brit's were huge hop-heads.
  21. Savage1005

Savage1005 Member

North Carolina Craft Beer and Breweries by Erik Lars Myers. Awesome book if you are a carolinian
    Rion likes this.
  22. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

Plug 19th-century British recipes into Beersmith and nothing comes out under 50 IBU's. That's even when knocking down the hopping rate to acocunt for some older hops. And tht's just the Milds. Pale Ales and Strong Ales are mostly over 100 IBU's.
  23. Puttenham

Puttenham Member

"Amber, Gold & Black" by Martyn Cornell. Subtitle says it all: "The History of Britain's Great Beers." A must read.

Loved the chapter on West County White Ale (Britain's lost beer style).
  24. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski.
  25. Hotmetal1

Hotmetal1 Member

The Brewmaster's Bible
  26. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Member

Not a "Beer" book, per se, but "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" is the funniest shit I have ever read!
  27. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

Pennsylvania Breweries by Lew Bryson
    HeyJim likes this.
  28. Handle

Handle Member

CBlack85, herrburgess and marine1975 like this.
  29. RockAZ

RockAZ Member

Saw this book mentioned a couple of times in this thread, here is the full name and author if someone wants to find it. "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" 3rd Edition (2003) is what I am reading, by Charlie Papazian
  30. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

31. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

Lost Beers and Breweries of Britain by Brian Glover.

on deck-
    The Craft of Stone Brewing by Koch, Wagoner and Clemens
    Shakespeare's Local by Pete Brown
  32. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

33. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Member

34. RyanLigeia

RyanLigeia Member

I am also reading The Brewmasters Table 'discovering the pleasures of real beer with real food' by Garrett Oliver (brewmaster of the brooklyn brewery). AWESOME book loaded with all kinds of info on every major beer style, not just pairing.
  35. bismarksays

bismarksays Member

The Brewmasters Table
  36. randal

randal Member

Brew Like A Monk by Stan Hieronymus, although "The Drawing of the Dark" by Tim Powers may be the best beer story book ever.
  37. Beer Quest West by Jon C. Scott (2011)
    the craft brewers of Alberta and BC , so far an interesting read also a steal at $6
  38. rob133

rob133 Member

I picked this up in the bargain section a few weeks ago - it is actually a rather good read so far.

[​IMG]
    JonnyGT20 and ditch like this.
  39. Rosty

Rosty Member

Beer and Philosophy: The Unexamined Beer is not Worth Drinking, is a fantastic book that is not totally beer centric, but enlightening.
  40. mporter13

mporter13 Member

"Designing Great Beers" was just delivered to my place this week. I've barely touched it so far though