1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer do you have "waiting" that is so hard to wait for?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by FATC1TY, Jun 19, 2013.

1. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Anyone got something aging away that you KNOW will probably be so damn good, but you just struggle with the idea of leaving it the hell alone?

I've not gotten into making lambics and sours, which I plan to in the next couple of months..

But I do have a big ol' RIS that I did a while back that came out close to what I wanted, maybe a bit high on the FG.. 1.128 to 1.030.

I have it sitting around, aging on some Hungarian Oak that I soaked for about 2 months in some 15 year Pappy Van Winkle. I did about 3-4 ounces of the oak, and tossed it all in the secondary, and flushed it out with co2.

I have it sitting in my fermentation chamber right now, and decided to take a look and taste a while ago while I checked on 2 beers I had in there fermenting.

Wow.. The beer tosses a motor oil like leg on the side of the tasting glass, and even hold a dark mocha head around the rim.. I only took about half a glass thief full, but the nose on it is already a wonderful caramel vanilla nose, that honestly tells you it's been bourbon aged. My first thought was KBS on the nose. The body is there, reminds me of Imperial Biscotti Break if it was barrel aged.. Slight heat, which should subside and then a clean roast..

God... why did I taste it... It needs time on the oak still I think.. Not MUCH more, but shit... I want that shit on tap NOW.
    jlpred55 likes this.
  2. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I'm waiting to be in a place in my life where I can brew beers to wait for. I want to be a homeowner before I start brewing sours and lagers. So far as big ales, I brew 2-3 batches every winter, and they last beyond when the next batches are ready.
    sjverla and inchrisin like this.
  3. nedvalton

nedvalton Aficionado (150) Alabama Dec 29, 2012

I am waiting in a 14%abv RIS aged on Madagascar vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, and chipotle chilies
    Plus a barley wine that's 2.5 years old. Not to mention countless 3+ yr old meads
    I gotta get some pappy to age on
  4. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

After I spend all my money on faucets, I'm going to look into oaking my next big beer. That'll be by about September and will have to wait until next winter.
  5. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Yea it can be hard to wait. I bottle all my big beers so it is easy to sneek a bottle every 2-3 months till ready. I brewed a Barly Wine last Nov. and have drank 3 bottles knowing full well that it's time has not come.
  6. Waiting for my 2 biggies to "ripen". Have a 11.3% Saison waiting to take the burn off in a secondary and a 10.7% IIPA in the bottle that just seems so stressed it's having trouble carbing. Luckily I have 6 or so other cases that are drinkable.... but I want an IIPA AND a Saison!!!
  7. I have 5 gallons of a pseudo lambic brewed with ECY20 Bug County that I will be adding aprict puree to. The lambic is about 5 months old but tastes amazing, very impressed with how quickly that yeast became so complex! Not sure of my timeline here but I would almost feel comfortable taking care of this guy sooner rather than later based on my tasting of it.

My other one is 2.5 gallons of a 10.5% English Barleywine that I just transferred to a secondary to bulk age. The taste is absolutely spot on for what I was going for, its just very hot at this point. It is maybe 2 months old and I will be kegging and bottling in October/November to have ready for Christmas.
  8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

A 14% English Barleywine that picked up some banana and bready esters during fermentation with S-04. Its been hard to wait for, as I've had to resist the urge to drain pour it for going on 7 months now. As a safe guard against a total lost batch I blended it with a Mild that went sour (infected yeast from manufacturer and pitched some Roselare and Flanders Blends and dregs, which is coming around very nicely as a brown sour. The banana esters in the non-soured portion have cleared up at this point, but the beer finished way too dry (F.G. 1.016) so not sure how age will treat it, guess I'll find out in a couple months.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Our Dopplesticke Alt gets racked for lagering next week. Gonna be a hard couple of months waiting.
  10. FATC1TY

I hear ya on the big batches gone off track.

I have a keg of RIS that I used a base porter recipe I liked and ramped it up. Ended up around 12% ABV and was fermented with Irish Ale.. Used 2 packs and a starter, and it went ape shit. Ended up getting too hot during the fermentation, blew out the air lock, and lost some beer.

I let it sit.. and it was WAY too thin for my taste, but had a decent flavor, albeit hot as hell, thin and had a cherry fruity note that I wasn't crazy about.

Tried to fix it, and added a pound of lactose and it's so fucking sweet I can't drink it now. It's been in a keg, carbed and gassed for.. almost a year now.. I haven't brought myself to even care to try it.. It's just not the roast bitter bomb I wanted.. Trying to think what I can do with it.. thought about dry hopping it with a shit load of magnum, or making a 1 gallon extract batch of something super bitter like 3 ounces of magnum for 60 minutes, and blending.
  11. Since your on the track of adding stuff to it and are looking for a roasty flavor, have you considered adding coffee to it? It could help balance out the sweetness while adding some roasty flavors.
  12. FATC1TY

I thought about it.. I think I actually added coffee to the recipe, but in the boil I think at flameout.

I just think the bitterness is off.. I get that thick cloying sweetness to the beer and it just taste like a hot mess last time. I might pull a sample today come to think of it.. It's on top of my fermentation freezer because the lid doesn't seal well, to add weight to the lid to keep the sweating down. I sling the keg around daily, and never try it!

I think thats why I'm so careful with my big beers now. My PVW RIS is my baby right now, and I plan to keep the oak in there and rack a huge Scotch Ale into the PVW wood next, when I get a recipe laid out.

I'm hesitant to keep adding, as thats what messed me up to begin with. I'd like to think I'm a better brewer than when I made that beer. First attempt at a big one.
    OddNotion likes this.
  13. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Lower alcohol lagers are the ones I have a hard time waiting on. They take longer than it seems they should if you lager.
  14. I've got 10 gallons of berliner that I'm dying to rack on top of peaches (5 gallons) & blackberries (5 gallons). I brewed the berliner in February and purchased the fruit a few weeks ago (now ripened, pitted, chopped & frozen).

I'm waiting for the berliners to 'tart up' a bit but it's taking sooooo long (this first foray with brett and/or bacteria). Running out of patience!
  15. I have a case of my first all-grain attempt that I am dying to get into... damn I want to check it out! But It's in reserve for our annual lobsterfest... so it's hands-off till then. :mad:

16. Hell, I'm just waiting for my next paycheck so I can buy more ingredients. And really hoping for a burner/bigger pot for my birthday...
  17. I've got a 12% RIS that I aged on vanilla beans in a bourbon barrel. It tastes amazing, but it is taking forever to bottle condition. I want to try one every couple of weeks, but I have to just say no.

I'm also trying my hand at a Flemish Red that I started in November of last year. It is no where near done yet.
  18. jono0101

jono0101 Savant (335) Missouri Aug 1, 2011

i have a imperial stout that i really wish i could just turn the clock ahead on, but its only been two weeks since i brewed. this is my first attempt at a bigger beer (OG 1.084), as well as my first recipe all on my own with no kit (i've done two batches before, one completly by the book, and the second making some tweaks and additions to the recipe). ive tasted it a few times while taking gravity readings, and its pretty damn good at this point, but i also have oak chips soaking in jameson that i have yet to add.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I just bottled up my wild saison last weekend, I know it needs to sit for a grip before opening... I want to pop one this weekend sooooo bad, but am going to let them sit at least 4 weeks before trying one out. Yeah, 4 weeks ain't shit compared to most of you guys, but right now it may as well be 4 years.
  20. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

I've got a 5 gallon batch of Belgian pale ale with brett B (Orval clone-ish) that is oh so close to being ready. Brewed 6 months ago, spent 1 month in primary, 3 months in secondary, and has been bottle-conditioning for 2 months. It's starting to taste great... only 1 or 2 more months and it will be delicious. It's already pretty damn good now, so it is SO hard not to dig into the bottles now.
  21. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I've got 10 different sours going. Earliest batch will be ready to bottle in maybe 3 months, I'm sure others are still a year out. Most were smelling pretty good when I had a drunken bung sniffing binge a few weeks ago. Waiting on beers that need bottle time is way harder! I've got a Galaxy White IPA clone attempt that I'm trying to quit sampling every few weeks. I enjoyed the original aged more and would like to age at least a case of my clone at least that long. Really need to start brewing 10 gallon batches.
  22. FATC1TY

[quote="TNGabe, post: 1436167, member: 658558" Most were smelling pretty good when I had a drunken bung sniffing binge a few weeks ago.[/quote]

Only in homebrewing is getting drunk and sniffing bungs not seen as... really odd.
    Smokebox_79, barfdiggs and OddNotion like this.
  23. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I actually got impatient before leaving on a trip and bottled my Passion Fruit Berliner. It might have been a little early, but damnit I wanted it for summer. I plan on trying one this weekend, and then who knows long it will have to sit.
  24. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

Definitely a RIS I have brewed once before. It was easy to hide in the back of the basement for 18 months when I didn't know how it would turn out.

This time around I can hardly wait 12 months since I KNOW how amazing it turns out.
  25. For me it's definitely the lambic/gueuze project I started last fall. Basically I'm going to brew five gallons of lambic every October, let it sit for a year, and then split it, with half going into a solera method gueuze blend and half going on some kind of fruit for a couple months.