1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What Beer Name Butchering Have You Seen on Menus?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerNDoggerel, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

At Kulminator last year, I saw Drie Fonteinen Framboos on the menu. But it ended up being Hommage.
    luwak likes this.
  2. Is it pronounced cant e on ?
  3. That is basically it. It's hard to give a the pronunciation of a French name with just text :)
  4. St Bernardus
    I have heard as St Bern A doo ?
    no clue how that can be right
    GrindFatherBob likes this.
  5. Another commonly mispronounced word: Hefeweizen. I usually giggle when a bartender/waitress says "Hefer-wise-in"
    dieBlume likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Hah! "Yingling" is my personal favorite, and I've read it listed after "Yanjing" under Chinese Beers on more than one menu. :D
    dieBlume likes this.
  7. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

I've seen Fat Tire listed under the country of Belgium...I mean, really?
    luwak likes this.
  8. Again, not a misspelling, but c'mon.

[​IMG]

This was at a bar in Los Angeles. The establishment had a pretty decent beer list and broke the menu down by State. Somehow, Illinois' offering of craft beer was Smirnoff Ice.

And, yes, one was ordered because I have asshole friends who think they're funny.
  9. Actually, now that I think of it, there was one more.

This was taken at a dueling piano bar in Fort Lauderdale.

Am I missing something here?

[​IMG]
  10. Snake River was written on two boards as being "Snake Chaser"
  11. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (300) New York Aug 6, 2002

Not quite beer name butchering, but a couple of years ago while skiing at Alyeska in Girdwood, AK I saw a beer menu that included Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde brewed in "Attica, NY." Having spent most of my life in Upstate NY I know that the only thing in Attica is the maximum security Attica Correctional Facility. WTF I thought, then it dawned on me, Utica, NY not Attica, NY.
    luwak likes this.
  12. South Hampton
  13. A Chinese restaurant opened near my work and dropped off menus to the local businesses. They did offer "Draft Deer" along with many other mis-spellings of food they offered.
  14. Coldsnack

Coldsnack Advocate (500) Florida Oct 29, 2012

Had a waiter tell me about this new beer they had called Jai Alai with big emphasis on the J and A. Pretty funny.
    smutty33 likes this.
  15. I can make a soundcloud clip of how to say it...
  16. Tough word! It is of course a Basque word and boy do I love my Basque people! :D
    pixieskid likes this.
  17. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

What bothers me the most is that few people can pronounce Cantillon properly...even after I subtly correct them.
  18. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

My french friends are always pronouncing the J, too funny considering they rarely pronounce words with all of their letters...
  19. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Not a menu issue:

I don't know what's in the water in Massachusetts, but the two bottle shops (well-known ones I might add) I visited in the last two days pronounce 3F as "Dree Fon-TEEN".

Somewhere in Beersel, Armand just stubbed his toe.
  20. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Haven't read through the entire thread but immediately thought of Anchor Brewing Co. So many people think the name of the brewery is Anchor Steam, seen it many places. Ex: Anchor Steam Porter or Anchor Steam Old Foghorn
  21. The first time I saw their brews at a bar, I though it was spelled this way so I asked for a la-GWIN-tas. The hipster bartender snarkily informed me of the correct pronunciation.

Question: when referring to German breweries or beer styles, do you pronounce the W as a V? I haven't decided whether or not I sound pretentious when I do this.
  22. When beers are listed or referred to as Belgiums.

Belgium Pale Ale?
    or I love this one.."I'm not a fan of Belgium beers"
    Converge likes this.
  23. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (470) New York Dec 17, 2010

I see "Dogfish IPA " listed frequently....um thanks but there is at least 4 different Dogfish Head IPA s
  24. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (630) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

North Coast Voodoo instead of Lost Coast Voodoo at a prestigious craft bar in Denver, when I pointed it out (nicely mind you) dude was like "cool"
  25. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

New Castle Ale.

It's Newcastle. One word.
    Dave1999 likes this.
  26. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

Not a butchering, but a menu faux pas...

On the Amtrack Capitol Limited, outbound from Chicago, heading to D.C., the dining car menu offers "Regional Craft Beer," directing the diner to ask the server about selections.

The answer? "Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, and Sierra Nevada."

Love SN beer, never so happy to hear it's name, and that Pale Ale never tasted so good. But "regional"?
  27. I received a 'Blackbeard' shirt in a BIF a few years ago and tried to look it up on here to no avail; mainly because I was searching for the wrong thing. It even has a picture of a black heart. Place face to palm. It's a pretty metal shirt, as most things are with FFF.
    mcrago likes this.
  28. Rizdac

Rizdac Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

From Revolution's taproom release of Straight Jacket:

[​IMG]

Another beer (E Norma Gene, I believe) they had was aged in Wodford Reserve barrels.
  29. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I pronounce the W as a V, but I hold back on dropping full out German accent on them. I pretty much just use American dialect and replace the W with a V sound. I only think it sounds pretentious when people switch accents for an entire word in a sentence and then go back to speaking in the original accent.
    mcrago likes this.
  30. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I have to come clean, I've been calling Jai Alai "Jye Uh-Lye". Then my friend who doesn't even drink beer corrected me. I feel like an ass.

Almost as bad as when I was a kid and thought I really liked the music of "Fred-Rick Chop-in". >__>
    Lantern likes this.
  31. I was at an Oktoberfest in my local area last October. They had Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss which they spelled the Franziskaner right but underneath the "Franziskaner" they had written real big "Dark Beer". And all these locals were ordering it that way, "can I have a dark beer", or "two dark beers please." I went up and ordered a Dunkel Weiss and they said they didn't have that...Priceless!!!
  32. Amerikon

Amerikon Savant (285) California Apr 17, 2008

This isn't really a menu thing (since I never see these beers on menus) but I have no damn clue how to pronounce Nogne O. I just call it "Noggin-Oh".
  33. New Holland Mad Hater
  34. ^nerg neh uh

or just say naked island
    Dennoman likes this.
  35. Hmm that's what I thought it was. Whoops. How do you pronounce it? Also, what language is it/what does it mean?

Not that we get it up around Philadelphia anyway...
  36. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

"Hye Lye". Apparently it's a basque sport played in Florida.
  37. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I see Rouge Dead Guy all over the place, even in our hometown of Newport Oregon. Rogue!
  38. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

As a long time (former) NY resident i find this to be one of the funniest mistakes I've ever heard of .

Did they make it during a riot?

Can't wait to have the Yuengling from Sing Sing....
  39. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

Bell's Black Nose Stout