1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What Beer Name Butchering Have You Seen on Menus?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerNDoggerel, Dec 23, 2012.

1. I can't remember any specifics, but I remember a few mistakes on the Rattle N Hum menu in NYC last time I was there. On another note, I remember being in the Pony Bar HK once while they had Maine's Peeper on tap. This woman next to me would not stop saying PEPPER. And I don't just mean while she was ordering, continuously to her table for some reason. Maybe a few too many Peppers.
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

A local pizza place around me always messes up the Sierra Nevada Seasonals on the menus. They had Sierra Nevada Tumbler as the winter and the Ruthless Rye as the summer beer. I said something once to the owner and he told me that the Tumbler is the winter and that Celebration was just a limited release during the winter.
  3. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I see bad mistakes on draft lists constantly, but the funniest butchering I've seen was on here when someone repeatedly referred to Lazy Magnolia as Lazy Mongolia.
    Bluecane likes this.
  4. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I'm curious as to how do people miss pronounce Cantillon? I've always said "Can-tee-yon" but I guess I never thought to check if that's right or not.
  5. chixdighops

chixdighops Zealot (95) Minnesota Feb 26, 2009

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat. Because of the logo, I typically get people asking for "Buffalo Sweet" or "Buffalo Wheat".
  6. I have seen beer as bier. Seriously, WTF???
  7. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I used to get those tremors after drinking too much Colt 45 malt liquor.
  8. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Amazed how many people have a hard time saying and spelling this one.
    I worked w/ a guy who religiously said Laguntas....lol.

Cheers
  9. Yeah, I commonly see the same thing with "Anchor Steam Humming Ale" or "Anchor Steam Old Foghorn." I guess that happens when a breweries flagship beers get to be more well known than the brewery itself sometimes.
  10. You mean like this official Anchor table tent design (jpeg from Anchor's website at the time):

[​IMG]
  11. JUST like that! Man, even they can't get it right...;)
  12. Yeah, Fritz Maytag and Anchor have always been kinda casual about such things, in- house (although don't try to call YOUR beer "steam beer"), at least more than beer geeks are.

Some insist the name of their winter seasonal is "Our Special Ale" yet Maytag and their current website will call it "Christmas Ale'.

Maytag claimed that he was not thinking of an India Pale Ale when he developed the Liberty Ale recipe but some consider it the first "modern" (i.e., craft era) US IPA.

And some also cringe at calling the brewery "Steam Brewery" or "Anchor Steam Brewery" but that was the official legal name when Anchor Steam was first bottled in the early '70's with the familiar label design that is still used.

[​IMG]
    airforbes1 and MusicaleMike like this.
  13. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (385) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

Not a name butchering but this sports bar TD Homers lists Long Trail Double Bag as an IPA. Altbier is not even similar to IPA IMHO.
    pixieskid likes this.
  14. Many people, myself included, get antsy when things (branding and marketing) are loose like that. But I realize that in the world of beer, history is littered with examples of things having double meanings or being named twice (or even three times). One example, English Strong Ales could be called Stingo, Humming Ale, Huffcap, etc. and people would know what that meant.
  15. The total misrepresentation of Belgian beer on beer lists, I have seen:
    Belgium as a style
    Belgym & Belgin as spellings

And don't get me started about servers that want to share their beer knowledge and mispronounce absolutely everything on the draft list. I aint perfect, but I aint ingnant .
  16. The fact that they still use the same label today is awesome.
  17. *kookier ;) (unless you meant he's a sweeter and crunchier baked treat)
    BlindSalimander likes this.
  18. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Flying Dog Snack Dog IPA.
  19. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Can-till-ion (similar to the southern pageant shit, whatever it is) or can-ti-lawn are the ones I normally hear. Not sure how exactly how it would be written out phonetically but the closest would be con-tee-y-own (I guess).
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  20. i believe you mean a cotillion pageant/ball, which is pronounced in american english more like "koe-till-yunn". i read your spelling of "can-till-ion" more like "can-till-eye-awn". the proper french pronunciation is probably more closely transcribed (but only as best as possible given that english doesn't have the nasal sounds of french) as "cahn-tee-yaw(n)", as the final "-n" is practically silent.
    j47paco, jRocco2021 and pixieskid like this.
  21. pixieskid

You nailed it, like i said, not sure on the phonetics for the proper pronunciation but yours certainly is better than my example.
  22. "Lindemans Creek"
  23. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Pilny the Elder:D
  24. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

This is helpful seems like I was saying it right except I do pronounce the "n" but at least I'm way closer than the other pronunciations described. Now theres a thought, Cantillon should make a brew and call it "Cotillion" just to confuse the shit out of people lol.
    pixieskid likes this.
  25. 2beerdogs

Maybe "rouge" is the next pink version Rogue will come up with... Hell they keep slathering lipstick on that pig, why not call it rouge.:eek:
  26. 2beerdogs

German?:)
  27. Not seen on a menu but heard on sports raido. A host on WFAN in NYC read an ad for a bar,did not call a beer an IPA. He called it an eye-pa!
  28. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

And continuing w/ the German pronounciations I ALWAYS pronounce Spaten "SH-PAHT-in". No one else in America says it that way. No one.
  29. pixieskid

I do (my soon to be wife grew up in Germany and I have visited the motherland over a dozen times in the last couple years)...it off-sets my American upbringing for sure...
  30. Not on a menu, but my favorite was when my wife and I were offered 'Sahara' Nevada Pale Ale while on vacation in Florida. It was better than having a properly pronounced Bud Light.
    Duff27 likes this.
  31. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

love this brewery, but i have my own mental block on this one.
  32. Noochie

Noochie Zealot (80) New York Nov 27, 2012

33. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Pronouncing Jai Alai...it can be comical
  34. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

ISO: Yugoslavia
  35. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Not a butchering, but I've seen Lagunitas Sucks listed simply as Lagunitas Holiday because they didn't think the beer would sell. I actually asked the bartender before ordering if he knew which Lagunitas beer they had (Sucks or Brown Shugga), and he pulled a piece of tape off the tap handle that had "Holiday" written on it to reveal that it was Sucks.
    BlindSalimander likes this.
  36. rrski198

rrski198 Savant (305) Georgia Mar 7, 2010

Schlafly Brewery in STL.... People who live in St. Louis can't even say it correctly. It's always called shoe fly. I've seen it misspelled on so many menus i can't even count
  37. Bakker

Bakker Savant (275) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

I had a waitress tell me they had Three Floyds Batch 19. She was so confused I took her to the bar and consulted the bar tender and ended up straightening them both out. It was obviously neither one of them who placed the order to stock the bar!
  38. For Christmas the in-laws gave me a book titled Craft Brews by Robert Zollweg. The book is about pairing different glasses with different styles of beers. They also give examples of what they say are the top selling beers of each respective style. They had Great Lakes Edward Fitzgerald for a porter and no shit, for Imperial Stouts, had Three Floyd's Dark Load...brilliant.
    seakayak and Bluecane like this.
  39. Oh, and Surley Beender for a brown ale...
  40. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Latent racism ftw!