1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer that is no longer produced do you wish would be?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Troegs Oatmeal Stout, cause java head just dont cut it.
  2. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

Dornbusch Alt and Pete's Wicked Lager.
  3. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

James Page Northern Lights Bock
  4. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Falstaff. From the St Louis brewery.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
    jnoble likes this.
  6. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (295) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Dozens of beers in this thread I have never had, thanks for the tease. Here is my all-time want to have again one off beer from a major brewery. Avery - 10th Anniversary which was 10 malts, 10 hops, 10 % baby and nectar of the Gods!
  7. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

a Catch 22. if all the whalez that people alluded to were brewed often then no one would want them because there would be other "rare" beers to covet
  8. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Yorkshire Clubs Dark Mild, Wem Bitter, Wem Mild, Bass Red Triangle, Wethered's Bitter, Plymouth Heavy, Dunkirk Pale Ale, Simpkiss Mild and many others.
  9. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Broken record time for me...Young's Oatmeal Stout, Ramrod, & Old Nick. Before the merger w/Well's I'd buy Young's over Sam Smith's all day everyday...Taddy Caster not with standing of course. A couple old school BMC staples from my early days of looking for better beer and settling for these @ most places the original Michelob & the Miller contract brewed Lowenbrau. :rolleyes:
    sirtomtom likes this.
  10. p90beer

p90beer Aficionado (105) Delaware Jan 10, 2011

Calgary AMBER beer - the beer that started my immersion into craft in 1986 - when IPAs were not existent, when people sought "amber ales".
  11. Bert Grants Scottish Ale. Miss that beer.
  12. Used to play poker with Pete's brother. The name was sold long ago. As I recall, Pete got into chocolate. Next time I run into his brother, I'll have to ask him what Pete's up to these days.
    19etz55 likes this.
  13. Ballantine IPA. This was the first "weird" (i.e. not light lager) beer I had, back in the 1960's. I loved it at first taste and it's probably what started my lifelong quest for interesting beers.
  14. Gambrinus (at the time one of two US importers of Corona, which also owned Spoetzl (Shiner) and a few other breweries) bought the brand in 1998. They discontinued it a couple of years ago now.

Slosberg still gets involved in the brewing industry occasionally - usually in one-off "charity" brews. Here's a recent example -16 Mile and Pete Slosberg create third in charity beer series (although calling him the "father of the craft beer revolution" is laughable). And before that there was a beer called Reunion .
    joltingjoe likes this.
  15. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Was just going to say Yokel. It was just a damn solid beer. I wish they would at least put it in the seasonal rotation once in a while.
  16. DanielNicholson

DanielNicholson Disciple (60) Texas Aug 17, 2012

Rye on Rye :( Sad it's the last year
  17. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (545) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

Robin Hood Cream Ale -- for the adventure...!!
  18. Bridgeport ESB.
  19. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Anything from DeGroen
  20. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. What a beer.
  21. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

BALLANTINES....... "INDIA PALE ALE"............ how many remember that stuff.............
    Hopportunistic likes this.
  22. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

oh and youngs OLD NICK..................... great barleywine...............
  23. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

joltingjoe likes this.
  24. I think I saw a few bottles on a shelf the other day.
  25. Heavyweight Perkunos Hammer was just incredible. Also, before the craft beer movement began, Pabst brewed a barley, hops and yeast beer named Andecher. (no corn) It was good stuff back in the day.
  26. bump8628

bump8628 Savant (485) Oklahoma Feb 21, 2008

Crystal Pepsi...
    JohnSnowNW, Hopportunistic and zestd like this.
  27. I'm not surprised. It had a pretty hefty price tag, but it was so worth it.
  28. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

The Stone Green Tea IPA was excellent.. wish it was still around
  29. The Bruery's. oui oui. Sour blond in Chardonnay barrels
  30. [​IMG]Pabst's super-premium was named Andeker (I only remember because I used to spell it wrong, too, and always wondered why I couldn't find any info on it). Pabst was always messing with it - they dropped it during WWII and it didn't come back for a decade and then as a draught-only product.

For a time, it was apparently only available regionally (and probably only brewed in Milwaukee, rather than the other Pabst breweries). And when they decided to make it their national Michelob-fighter (right down to a look-alike bottle/label) super-premium entry ('60-'70's) they also changed the recipe from being an all-malt beer. It converted back to all-malt before disappearing again after Pabst went through a number of ownership/management changes in the 80's.
  31. IPA's were never "not existent" in the US market, Falstaff continued to brew and market Ballantine India Pale Ale into and after the start of the craft era and the first new IPA's hit the shelves (Bert Grant's generally considered the first so-named ale, other credit Anchor Liberty or SN Celebration but neither was labeled as such). Granted, by the '80's it wasn't as widely distributed as it once was, but was still well-known and often discussed in the emerging beer appreciation culture.

IIRC Calgary Amber Beer was a Canadian product from Carling-O'Keefe, but even Canada still had a few IPA's into the '80's Labatt's IPA (in name at least) probably the most widely distributed.
  32. I used to be able to get it in Virginia in the early to mid 80's. It was a decent alternative to imports.
  33. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (285) New York Feb 15, 2008

perkuno's hammer
  34. zestd

zestd Savant (320) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

New Coke.
  35. Beamish dry stout. Brings back good memories of traveling through Ireland.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  36. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Zealot (90) Ohio Jul 19, 2010

It was the third post on this thread...but bourbon county brand vanilla stout would also be my choice...just killed my last bottle.
  37. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Jester King Black Metal Imperial Stout. I can't believe they retired it, and are making a Farmhouse version of it. o_O
  38. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Bud Dry... MMMM it was always sooo dry.
  39. I will echo others with Squall. Much, much better than what replaced it (75 Minute IPA?).
    thousandfoldthought likes this.
  40. Yeah, as I noted, they took it national a few times, or at least, it had a broader distribution area at times. All the big brewers of the era wanted a super-premium beer that could compete with Michelob back in that era. (As the Andeker bottle below clearly shows). Schlitz tried Erlanger and Encore, Stroh had Signature, a revamped Erlanger (after buy Schlitz) and eventually bought Huber's Augsburger. Coors tried with Herman Joseph and Master III. Miller went the simple way and was probably the most successful for a time, by licensing the rights for Lowenbrau brand in the US.

I've got references to Andeker being all-malt in the '50's and again in the 80's, but other ads and Pabst material in between note "malt" and "selected cereal grains" - probably corn grits, which Pabst used for Blue Ribbon at the time. In one promotional piece, even boasting that they were "... the only brewer in the US to ensure quality of product by buying and milling much of its own corn".

[​IMG]

It was tasty stuff but I didn't see it often and I lived only 30 miles from their Newark brewery (and even went out with a young woman whose father worked there--- but, that's another story...no free beer involved, either).