1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer were you excited to try, but wouldn't trade for again?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by withoutlimits, Apr 14, 2014.

1. I've had this happen a couple of times. Where I give up something I really enjoy and end up disappointed with the bottle I receive.

I just finished a bottle of 2013 Abyss (first time having it), and while I find it to be an outstanding beer, I will never put forth effort to get one again. I would be ecstatic if it was on the shelf locally, but I can't help but feel a little let down after making the trade.

To anyone who loves Abyss, this is not an attack on that beer... again, it was very good. It just didn't live up to my personal hype.
    marleyr likes this.
  2. I think we can all relate bro,in general that is. (not about the abyss persay)
  3. What'd you give up to get it?

Not from a trade, but after a lot of buildup, I felt pretty let down by both Supplication and PtY. In Supplication's case, I just didn't enjoy it all that much. For PtY, i'd just as soon have a PtE or Blind Pig.

Like your experience with Abyss; don't get me wrong, I thought PtY was a great beer, just not at all worth the drama to get some. This is not at all a bash on RR, I love a lot of their beers and can't wait to have another chance to visit the brewpub, I just won't go out of my way for those two in particular.
  4. Hard to say exactly. It was a very large trade.
  5. Heady Topper, while very tasty, does benefit from some of the hype.
  6. I've had several bottles of KBS through generous traders that weren't intent on "winning trades". Good beer but I wouldn't wanna give up what I'd probably have to in order to get some more, especially considering what a pain in the ass it seems to be to obtain for those of you in Founders' distribution footprint.
    DashFaster likes this.
  7. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

2012 Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord a month ago. It's probably fallen off from fresh based on my experiences with fresh Murda'd Out and BVDL. Still, I'm glad to have tried it since it was my final white whale and now I can happily move on with my beer drinking life without having to "have this latest whale".
  8. marleyr

marleyr Initiate (0) South Carolina Feb 25, 2014

The Abyss '13, Boulevard BBQ and Love Child No. 3
  9. Creme Brulee, never again.
  10. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Savant (370) New York Dec 31, 2012

Pappy's Remy was the biggest letdown of the year for me.
    bluewolf17, chardlogic and Jshari223 like this.
  11. Sleeper hit was Rye-on-Rye, which was thrown in last minute by my trading partner for something shelf on my end. Wow, was that beer amazing (especially fresh).

I can agree about The Abyss, it was a let down.
    davesway10 and TheJermis like this.
  12. on the wings of armageddon and
    surly abrasive.
    not that these were bad but not in the same realm as gandhi bot or HT.
    Phil_H likes this.
  13. Huna
    Don't get me wrong, it was a great beer. Complex in ways I had not yet experienced and oh so good.
    But between all the hype and what I've seen on the threads as far as "trade value" I wouldn't even try for it.
    @st9647v3 didn't bend me over at all to get it but at what he was dinged for to obtain it via trade, plus the above reasons: never again
  14. I think I have a bottle of 2013 abyss and it has a "Best After Date" of 8/xx/2014. I heard the beer is great with age so maybe if you let it sit it might have been better IMHO. I haven't had mine because I only have one, but I agree with your post pertaining to Darklord '13, I traded a huna and while DL was a great beer I would have rather kept my Huna.
  15. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Heady Topper.
    Hunahpu's.

Good beers, but not worth the work it takes to get them.
  16. Kayn169

Kayn169 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Kate the Great. Completely underwhelming
  17. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (385) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Jai Alai, While a solid beer, not worth the shipping costs when I can walk a block to my local store and pick up an IPA of same quality
    nc41, nrs207, jrnyc and 1 other person like this.
  18. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (470) New York May 14, 2013

Thusfar I've pretty much had the luxury of cellaring my whalez. From what I've decided to have so far, probably the biggest letdown was Surly Abrasive Ale, Westvleteren 12, or Wisconsin Belgian Red. Abrasive was fine, but I'm cool with Sucks or Captain's Reserve. Westy 12 was very nice, but I don't think it was any better than Chimay Blue or Rochefort 10. The New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red was decent, but I was expecting a huge blast of cherry, and that just didn't happen.

Meanwhile, Zombie Dust and Bomb! absolutely lived up to expectations, and in the case of Bomb! far exceeded them. Bomb! might be the best beer I've ever had, even better than BCBCS. Glad I saved one.

Man, I have a long list of beers waiting in the cellar/fridge that make me very nervous about living up to the hype. These include, but are not limited to: Schaerbeekse Kriek ($43 bottle), BA Blackout, Raspberry Tart, Abyss, Darkness, and Hunahpu.
    dsigmon and concealed like this.
  19. I sacrificed a ton of my cellar to get BCBVS and was really, really bummed.
    Shilt and Coirm like this.
  20. Treebute

Treebute Aficionado (145) Ohio Jul 13, 2011

Terrapin's Cinnamon Roll Wake n Bake and White Chocolate Moo Hoo. My imagination exceeded what these beers delivered in taste. I gave up a Jackie O's Rum Barrel Oil of Aphrodite but I got a great trading partner out of it. So I'll mark that as the big win.
    fiedler84 likes this.
  21. C20Percent

C20Percent Savant (325) Virginia Aug 24, 2011

Pliny the Elder, obviously.
  22. Two beers that I was let down by were Dark Lord (2012) and WC Moo Hoo. WC Moo Hoo was okay, but wasn't worth what I had to go through to get it (truck chasing rather than trade). I just didn't like Dark Lord. Had a very fair trade for it, so not upset, but that beer is just not for me. If I get again, it will be as an extra.
  23. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Pliny the Younger.

Such disappoint. Much sadness.
  24. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

I am sure there are others that i have traded for and did not really like it much....but the one that stands out to me is the proprietors bourbon county. maybe it was because i had to drink it rather quickly b/c the bottle was a little sticky from some leakage,but i was not impressed with this beer. it was not overy different than regular IMO. Yes, there was cocunut but not enough to really completely change the beer for me. when i drink a backyard or cherry rye from goose island, it is a complete transformation of the beer...

not to mention, i can make a toasted cocunut bourbon county and it resembles proprietors enough to where i would never trade for it again.
    bluewolf17 and mhenson42 like this.
  25. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (370) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

Darklord, Proprietors.

Izzy, although awesome, wouldn't trade for it again.
  26. Dark Watered Down Soy Sauce Diabetes Lord
  27. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

BVDL. It's a really tasty beer but not worth what it takes to land a bottle.
  28. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

29. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony Savant (265) California May 22, 2006

1. Dreadnaught
    2. All new glarus fruits
    3. Prop
  30. I would have to say Proprietors. While it was a great beer I really didn't get much coconut out of it and it tasted more like regular BCBS than a variant. Don't get me wrong, it was a great beer (BCBS is one of my top favorites) but just not what I expected after trying other coconut beers like Three Hour Tour from Town Hall, etc.
    LopeJuice likes this.
  31. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (310) Illinois Jul 30, 2013

These are my two choices, although technically I only traded for Heady. Both are excellent beers, but there is so much good stuff out there that I wouldn't worry about grabbing either again, unless they were sitting around.
  32. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (310) Illinois Jul 30, 2013

While Proprietor's is currently my favorite beer, I definitely get what you're saying. To me it tastes like BCBS with a smoother, creamier finish, so I'd probably be a little disappointed too, if I had traded for it expecting a coconut bomb.
  33. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Whaaaat?! :eek::eek::eek:

Whaaaaaaaaat?! :eek::eek::eek:
  34. Multiple years of Dark Lord. Never again!
    FatsBelvadere and Sarge3130 like this.
  35. I haven't seen Bomb! mentioned yet...hmmmmmmm
    bluewolf17 and mythaeus like this.
  36. Thank you for reminding me of this! I had very high expectation of it and was disappointed as well. I still trade for it as a part of bigger trade or if the other trader doesn't have anything else because they trade well and can make great extras.
  37. Bomb is almost like an IPA. Fresh Bomb is incredible. Older Bomb is meh... It really seems to fall off quick.
    landhoney and boogercrack like this.
  38. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (470) New York May 14, 2013

Phew! For a second there I thought you were the one who traded them to me! How come you didn't quote the part where I said that Bomb! might be the best beer I've ever had? Thanks, btw.

Should I not cellar the other Bomb!?
  39. I'm Asian, grew up on coconut, now eat a lot of coconut flavored desserts, and drink a lot of coconut juice so I have high sensitivity to coconut. People complained that the Stone R&R Coconut IPA had no coconut in it. I tasted A TON of coconut. People complained that there's not enough or barely any in Proprietor's, I tasted a great and perfect amount. If people wanted a coconut bomb, go to the bar and order a pina colada or just buy canned coconut juice. The amount of coconut in Prop was perfect for mind-blowing enhancement and addition to the flavor and texture of BCBS. Prop is my favorite of the BC line, hands down. Took a lot for me to acquire and I keep on trading for more ever since my first.
    nc41 and nrs207 like this.
  40. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

I just noticed that part of your earlier post! No problem man - I'm glad you enjoyed the Bomb and Zombie Dust so much! :D

As for cellaring the other Bomb, it's not like it's going to suck with age, but I doubt it'll improve. Some of the adjuncts used will fade with time. So if you've got a special occasion to save it for in the next few months, you're fine. If you're planning on aging it for a year or two, I don't think the beer will benefit much from that.