1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer were you excited to try, but wouldn't trade for again?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by withoutlimits, Apr 14, 2014.

1. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (310) Illinois Jul 30, 2013

Well, let me put it this way, then: Like I said, Proprietor's is my favorite beer, so I'm really not complaining. With that being said, I didn't get an overwhelming, very superficial coconut flavor from it the way you would a coconut macaroon, coconut paleta (mexican popsicle), etc. So I guess that's what I went in expecting, and probably what a lot of others expected, given the reviews the beer gets.

The other thing I'll say is that my perception of these types of beers really changes depending on the pairing. I didn't pair Proprietor's with anything, so it's possible that had I, I'd change my tune. For example, I had Pipeworks Pineapple Bling, and didn't taste much pineapple for much of the bottle. Then at the end, I ate some...I think spicy taquitos or something? Then suddenly the beer was bursting with pineapple. Same thing with Goose Island's Juliet; I've read that the Vintage Sisters were meant to be paired with food, and I certainly thought Juliet was better when I had crackers with it.

Either way, it all comes down to expectations and an individual's palate, so I get both sides when people love Proprietor's or are disappointed by it.

mythaeus likes this.
  2. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (470) New York May 14, 2013

Understood. I'll probably save it for another couple of months, but I'm not going to actually "cellar" it.

3. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i think it was more perception for me....when I drink a coffee bcs, bramble, backyard bramble, or cherry rye, it is such a hit you in your mouth taste of whatever they put in it (raspberries, cherries etc). I could taste the coconut in in the prop, but it was not an entirely different beer for me. I think b/c the others do have a hit you in your mouth flavor of the variant, I thought prop would be the same thing. don't get me wrong, I loved it like every other bourbon county beer but I would not chase it or trade away a lot of the beers it is requiring to get via trade.

4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I don't plan to ever trade for a Bruery beer again, nor do I plan to purchase any of their products when in markets they are distributed

5. Something about the Bruery rubs me the wrong way. It is completely illogical, and frankly, somewhat unprovoked, but I just have very little interest in supporting or seeking out the Bruery offerings. Weird I know.

6. Just wanted to address this portion briefly...
    I have virtually stopped pairing when I drink a while back, especially first time drinking a particular beer and especially if it's a BA stout. I do snack a little on tasting snacks like cheese, cured meat, and crackers. I feel that I get much more "pure" beer this way instead of pairing with food. I usually drink with another friend. We split 2 bottles of something special, with some small fillers in between, over the course of a couple of hours. This was what we did with the Prop.

7. C20Percent

C20Percent Savant (325) Virginia Aug 24, 2011

Oh, yes -- agree with Dreadnaught. And, would throw Live a Rich Life in the pot, too. And, Alpha King while we're at it. Arctic Panzer Wolf and Zombie Dust both worth trades, though.

wuntrikpony and sandman3479 like this.
  8. Black tuesday

FatsBelvadere, DashFaster and pmoney like this.
  9. Very much this.

10. Hopslam

afi4lifer likes this.
  11. bsnone

bsnone Aficionado (245) Arizona Nov 22, 2012

Creme Brulee and Dark Lord. Glad to cross them off but never again.

12. Yes... Alpha King was just so mediore... not bad... but mediocre... ZD and PF are freaking outstanding though

jrnyc likes this.
  13. itracy63

itracy63 Savant (350) Alaska Apr 20, 2013

This. Abyss has never been that great fresh, IMO.

14. itracy63

itracy63 Savant (350) Alaska Apr 20, 2013

The first one to pop in my head was KBS, followed by the Noirs from Prairie.

15. Monkeypuker

Monkeypuker Savant (250) Texas Sep 4, 2013

KBS for me for sure

16. TG Assassin. Had it a couple of times and wish I traded both bottles after opening them.

17. I have had a few beers that I was particularly excited for but didn't live up to the "hype". They include; HF Genealogy of Morals, JK Atrial, RR Framboise for a Cure, pretty much every Alpine IPA, Alchemist Petit Mutant, Parabola and '11 Abyss. I've been pleasantly surprised by way more beers though, and drinking those beers helped me to figure out what I do like as I went into them having little to no expectations.

18. Do you not like IPA/DIPAs? Alpine absolutely kills it IMO.

Beer4B, nc41, Marco_Gtz and 2 others like this.
  19. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

About half of what I've tried from the white whale list. Izzy, Deviation, Brandy Vanilla DL, Roze and the Reed Guezes come to mind. Glad I tried them, and happy to stumble on a pour in the future, but nothing I'd go after now.

20. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

You're doing it wrong, whales aren't for drinking.

BTW, while I haven't had those specifically I have found that most of the hyped up beers I have tried don't live up to the hype.

jshusc and Theortiz01 like this.
  21. TDavis

TDavis Aficionado (230) Ohio Jun 29, 2013

I think for me it was Bomb. It was not bad or anything, I thought it was pretty good. I think I hyped it up too much in my head before. However, I would buy another if I ran across them in their distribution area.

IowaBiertrinker likes this.
  22. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

The Mocha Wednesday I just got in the mall today. Usually I wouldn't go high volume on something but it just looked too good. Even though I haven't cracked it yet I know I probably wouldn't want to give what I did to get another. Grey Monday on the other hand...

23. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Savant (465) Texas Jun 7, 2013

Prolly gonna get some slack for this, but VSB is waaaaayyyy overhyped. It is absurd that that beer trades the way it does. It is a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it, but no way am I trading half my cellar to get one.

24. I love IPA's, APA's, DIPA's. I just don't like Alpine's, I prefer Toppling Goliath, HF, RR, FFF for hoppy beers.

pest likes this.
  25. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

This. A guy in our tasting group opened one at a tasting maybe a week after it was released and it was good, not great. There were 2 or 3 fruited American Sours I had that night that were better than VSB. Little did he know that a month later it was going to be a whale.

Theortiz01 likes this.
  26. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Reported.

nrs207, Brew33 and Theortiz01 like this.
  27. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Except for Wooden Hell. Dat was fantastic - thanks again!

I'd probably list just about every GI variant except Prop here. They might have been decent beers, but I walked away from them all disappointed.

cfh64 likes this.
  28. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

I was excited for Pipeworks Careful theres a beverage here, since I'm a big lebowski fan. Poured it fresh and was sorely dissapointed. Pipeworks is really hit or miss. I've had some stuff that I thought was amazing like chai dog, but then you get some garbage in there too.

Biggest surprise probably against the grain kentucky ryed chiquen

jshusc likes this.
  29. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (390) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

Jai Alai - decent enough/unique beer but I don't feel the need to trade for more. Flower Power on the other hand - got it as an extra (in the same box) with zero expectations and was kinda blown away.

pdmoore714 likes this.
  30. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Blaeber and everything from the Bruery.

Tony412 likes this.
  31. Atrial Rubicite ranks high on my list, too. Never understood the hype for this one.

anticipation23 likes this.
  32. Agreed on the Atrial. I had a B1 about 3 months ago and we drainpoured it.

33. I actually never traded for it. I had it at the What the Funk? event at GABF. I'm glad I got to try it there. I would have been really disappointed to have given up what b1 was commanding and been that disappointed.

34. I have traded for both B1 and B2, albeit I don't feel like I necessarily "lost" either trade I would not do them again. The love for Atrial will forever be a mystery to me, and it kind of turned me off to trying other JK beers.

35. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

This is kind of a tangent, but that's pretty much the reason I love Prop, and all of the BC variants--the adjunct is not artificial tasting, at all--it tastes like real coconut, subtle and integrated. BCBCS is the same way, with the coffee perfectly melded with the base beer. They pretty much blow away the Prairie Noir variants--those are enjoyable beers, for sure, but the coffee and vanilla are noticeably artificial and feel "separate" from the base beer.

SeanBond likes this.
  36. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (310) Illinois Jul 30, 2013

No, that makes sense. They are all awesomely balanced beers in that manner, you're right.

37. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

i will say Huna, Bomb, and Mexican Cake. it is now evident that i don't like stouts with chilis or peppers. Cali Brandy Huna was fucking great, as was Pirate Bomb. maybe i need to try a BA MC sometime.

38. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (275) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

This one is easy for me...HF Damon! Thought it was average at best.

39. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Amazing the craziness still around Dark Lord and the mass # of people who don't't like or care for it. Definitley the biggest trade let down early in my trading career. I will take my local Grandfather Raven over it everyday

lordofthelambics likes this.
  40. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

:(