1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer would you compare to Heady Topper?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheNoodleIncident, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Inspired by the Zombie Dust thread - what's the best replacement for HT? That stuff is too hard to come by.

I don't really have an answer in mind. Personally, the smell of Laguntias Day Time IPA reminds me of HT, but the flavor is no where close.

EDIT: I'm in NY, so would specifically appreciate suggestions available to me. Though I bet those from strange lands would appreciate other suggestions as well.

2. hopmopped

hopmopped Zealot (90) New Hampshire Aug 24, 2010

My vote would be Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA. The beer is a bit drier in taste compared to HT.

3. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Cant think of anything. Maybe take some candied peaches and drop it into an already tasty ipa lol

4. I am anxiously awaiting the answer as well. Nothing comes to mind that is in the same galaxy (sorry Double Jack, I still love you...)

5. I've only had Double Jack once, but HT didn't even cross my mind.

6. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

I think columbus IPA is like a smaller version of heady. Its cloudy and has a good hop bite and a little bit of the citrus hop taste/smell. Just my opinion.

DStoked and itsthepleats like this.
  7. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

The closest I can think of was a Double Simcoe IPA by Haymarket and it was definitely not Heady. Heady probably has a bunch of Simcoe in it along with at least 5 other hop varieties.

Rimbimhoot likes this.
  8. Artic Panzer Wolf by 3 Floyds or Lake Erie Monster by Great Lakes. Both are unfiltered monster IPA's like Heady. On the record, nothing compares to Heady, but these two offerings are d*mn close!

Lantern, DStoked, TallSaint and 2 others like this.
  9. It's pretty unique, can't say there is even a "replacement" to speak of.

jglowe77 likes this.
  10. mackeyse

mackeyse Aficionado (245) New York Aug 21, 2012

I had suggested SN Hoptimum in a prior thread like this (HT comparison) but in retrospect it's not comparable (I think I may have had a super fresh one that may have slightly reminded me of HT and I jumped the gun on the comparison). I haven't had anything close though I've read the Hill Farmstead DIPA's might be similar (if even less accessible to NY'ers)

11. It's like saying you like one of your children better than the other, my kids:

Heady Topper, Double Sunshine & Ephram

12. Having had both Artic Panzer and Lake Erie Monster and having both those in my top favorites...I really need to try HT now >.<

BryanK and franklinn like this.
  13. ::touches index finger to nose::

14. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Laganitias hop stoopid

15. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Gash likes this.
  16. Double Sunshine is the closest I can think of. Still not sure which of the two is my favorite.

17. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

honestly I don't think theres anything thats bottled/canned that comes close to heady, the only beers I have had that have some simalarities to heady are some hill farm beers.

Horbar and jglowe77 like this.
  18. fmccormi

Hm. Y'know, Lake Erie Monster is an interesting suggestion. I also agree that nothing is really a Heady replacement, if that's what you're looking for. But Lake Erie Monster is a) another well-balanced, well-hopped, citrusy-and-a-bunch-of-other-stuff DIPA that is ALSO unfiltered, which I love about it, b) definitely a unique DIPA in terms of flavor profile, in my opinion, and c) also in my opinion, vastly underappreciated, at least on this site.

19. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

NONE...PERIOD...however, knowing that HT is hard to obtain, I would say Double Sunshine, Head Hunter, White Rajah, and Deviant Dale's are also good choices if they are fresh.

jglowe77 and Extravadanza like this.
  20. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Fresh HT right from the can will blow your socks off.

Extravadanza likes this.
  21. someday i hope to have this happen

22. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Ahh...just received a 4-pack of HT canned on Friday. Cheers!!

CWinchell and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  23. They are too old at this point! Drain pour! :rolleyes:

Extravadanza likes this.
  24. Nothing is close but I always enjoy Sculpin that is now distributed in NJ/PA, not sure about NY though.

Wegman's even sells for $10 a 6 pack.

25. Sculpin has come up a few times. I recently bought a six-pack, and was really excited based on the reviews. The "Best BY Date" was 2/13/13, so assuming a 90-day window, this was about 30-days old (right?). Honestly, I was dissappointed - it was a good IPA (some citrus/fruit, and plenty of bitter), but not the fruity/citrusy/tropical fruit-y bomb I was hoping for.

fmccormi likes this.
  26. You ain't getting anything like HT then....

Where are you in NY? I make trips to VT every 2 or 3 months..

fmccormi likes this.
  27. PS...My homebrew "Jon" is my HT clone and is damn good!! See the WBAYDN #52 later on to see that photo as I got a bomber chillin'.

28. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (435) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

I love Columbus IPA but....:eek:o_O

Dannywhitewash likes this.
  29. This is the only thing that is just as good.

[​IMG]

30. fmccormi

No worries man, I had a very similar incident. It was not the dynamic mango juice bottle of hop oils I was expecting. To be fair, I believe they actually have a four month freshness period, so it was probably about a month older than you realized.

TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  31. Society & Solitude 5 was very close .... hop bite with a proper amount of malt sweetness. I've yet to have anything closer ...

BillyCannon and Miamilice like this.
  32. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

33. fmccormi

Two things: yes, there is a tendency for repeat threads, because some people get lazy about searching forums before creating a thread (can't say I'm not guilty), but also "Heady Topper is good" / "Wish I could get more Heady" / "Comparisons to HT" is a very popular theme on this site. And, y'know. Not without reason.

34. Abrasive

/thread

nc41 and jawzman like this.
  35. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Might even be better than HT.

It depends on my mood.

When all is said and done. I'm happy as hell to be drinking either one!!!

fmccormi likes this.
  36. except HT is $4 less per 4 pack and year round, so yea, HT wins :)

37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I could hi five that!

I'm always on the hunt for either. :)

38. My goodness. I did it!! HT clone!!

[​IMG]

CWinchell and mackeyse like this.
  39. ilovermont

ilovermont Aficionado (150) Vermont Jul 18, 2012

Think it's more than a 90-day window, as there were Sculpin's with a 4/xx/13 'best by date' on the shelf last week (on the east coast).

40. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

This, I find some fresh Hop Stoopid to be pretty comparable.

checktherhyme and jaIsPoAn like this.