1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer would you compare to Heady Topper?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheNoodleIncident, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

Came here to day this. This years Abrasive is retarded good, possibly better than HT. I set up a trade just to go side by side, as this years Abrasive immediately made me think of HT...
  2. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Hm. Never had Abrasive . . . maybe this is the year to try it.
  3. Kiwi Rising. Try it side by side, I dare you.
  4. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

Hop Stoopid.
  5. Stone Enjoy By has similar characteristics. It certainly doesnt have quite the same profile, but its similar.(Maybe because of freshness)
    CWinchell likes this.
  6. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

Is it just me, or are more and more people pulling a Goose Island/ Hill Farmstead on these naming-of-their-beers.

nicely carbonated though. :)
  7. Yes. They do it right and I am an unoriginal unartistic bastard.
  8. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I think it compares well to Heady Topp....er......wait.

I have not had a beer that compares.
  9. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Savant (400) New York Oct 18, 2009

HF Abner reminded me of Heady Topper
  10. Ghandi bot is the closest I've tasted
    Pelican5 likes this.
  11. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Disciple (65) Minnesota Apr 17, 2012

I'd have to say Abrasive is right up there with HT. Both amazing beers!
  12. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

If you ever find yourself in such an unfortunate position, send them on down this way!!
  13. I've only shared bottles with friends but I'd say Lunch (suprised nobody mentioned this) or Double Sunshine.
  14. I'm on LI, so I certainly COULD drive to VT, but it's still pretty far and not something I'm going to do unless I'm headed that way anyway.

Also, I just remembered Ruination 10th Anniversary, which was awesome and reminded me of HT. Doesn't help much, since you can't buy it anymore.
  15. Hop Stoopid is always availabe by me for a good price, but it is NEVER fresh. Very frustrating. I'm talking dust on the bottles kind of old.
  16. well I find the LA CUMBRE "ELEVATED IPA" to be similar although
    i am waiting on some fresh heady topper and will do a side by side comparison to find out for sure
    but i think it has a lot of the same hop profiles and both are canned lol it is just hard to find something that lip smacking good
    What are these people tasting in Hop Stoopid that they think it taste like HEADY it isnt in the same ballpark or League Hop stoopid is playground and Heady Topper is the World Series as steven a smith would say "CMON MAN!!!"
    anyway if you like heady topper you must try ELEVATED IPA it wont disappoint
  17. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

See, I found Lunch to be very good and very fruity, but much, much less bitter than Heady Topper. I really liked Lunch, but what stuck out about it for me was the surprising LACK of real bitterness. Plenty of hops, don't get me wrong, just very concentrated on the late hop / hop bursting kind of fruitiness rather than bitterness.
  18. Double Sunshine is definitely amazing and very close to heady!
    Since I don't have any DS around :)() I this this weekend calls for a taste test with HT, Pure Hoppiness and Enjoy by.....
  19. Two parts hoptimum one part grapefruit juice one part Edward one dash of weyerbacher double simcoe
    CWinchell and fmccormi like this.
  20. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Kern River Citra is actually better, but its only brewed a couple of times each year. :(
  21. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

Finally, had my first Heady at the 4Elf party at DH! Thanks to the fellow BA that gave one to me to try!
    founder26 likes this.
  22. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

see the title is misleading, is the op asking what beers are as good as heady topper, or that taste almost the same? imho there is no other double ipa as good as topper, but there are quite a few that are close.
  23. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I must say, I've seen a lot of comparisons of Elevated to HT. While elevated is good, I don't really see it being that similar to HT.

That said, both are in the fridge. ;)
    Rochefort10nh likes this.
  24. Kiwi Rising from Jack's Abby or a Hillfarmstead IPA
  25. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

I just had nerd flight from Tired Hands yesterday.

I feel embarrassed about how much I gushed about it at the bar. Very, VERY close!!
  26. I'd say go with Bud Light Platinum ...the only difference is drink-ability.
  27. HT is definately much more brightly flavored and agressive than Lake Erie Monster, and IMO, more balanced and less bitter than Abrasive. But some combination of the two may be close.
  28. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (330) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

Agreed. Also, their DIPA (Bodhi) seems like its aspiring to Heady. A lucky few have also had Creeper:)

But my final answer to your question OP: Heady Topper
  29. Surly Abrasive fo sho
    Auror likes this.
  30. I drank a anchor liberty ale last night, and all i could think of the whole time was that it tasted like a slightly more malty HT
  31. Only thing I've ever had close was the latest batch of El Segundo IPA. It mirrored Heady and I can't wait for more!
  32. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Nothing I've had compares.
  33. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Happened for me last night for the first time(thank you jcrandall!!!). Id say it's pretty unique. Damn freaking good.
  34. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Pineapple juice.

Well, the smell anyways. So glorious.
  35. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Not to be "that guy", but no way. Not even close.
    Horbar and LambicKing like this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

The only brew mentioned in this thread that's close is Abrasive. Some brews like Sucks is closer to PTE than HT. But IMO Abrasive is right there with HT as far as being top dog. If your in a ship to state france44 has Abrasive for sale. I've had them back to back, and I might have a hard time separating them, but the nose of Abrasive is more grapefruit, and a little more bitter.
  37. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

a home brew where you add way to many hops and leave hop chunks in the finished product.
  38. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

HF Abner came close for me.
  39. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (550) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

Have 't had Abrasive, but of the ones I've had PtE is probably the only one I find almost as enjoyable. At the end of the day I still prefer HT.