What beer would you compare to Heady Topper?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheNoodleIncident, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Maine Beer Company Lunch is up their.

2. Never had HT yet , but looking forward to comparing this to the Heady on it's way - Thanks Brian!
    The Abrasive is amazing! :D

[​IMG]

3. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Same here

4. mcrago

mcrago Savant (395) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Still waiting for my first taste of Heady Topper...

5. Very Fresh Lagunitas Sucks from the BOTTLE (dissapointed with it on tap) is the closest beer to Heady I've had.

6. Sir, you and I like the same beer. Yep & Yep... I'll be scanning your reviews... (if you review) for suggestions...

7. Being in Southern California, I've never had Heady :*( But I usually get my fill of Pliny :)

8. Boneyard Hop Venom

9. Nothing compares to Heady Topper. This stuff ruined me... nothing even comes close.

10. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Sculpin is a shadow of its former self at this point.

11. I said the same thing to someone at an IP trade two days ago who has had pretty much every renowned hoppy beer except Heady. Sure fresh ZD is amazing and beers like Alpine's lineup, Elder and Younger that are fantastic, but there is only one Heady Topper. Alpine beers (Nelson, Duet) have that unique profile that let's you know it's from Alpine in a blind taste test but very few other beers have that unique, pow!, wtf did I just drink-must drink more now and fast like Heady does. It just begs to be chugged and re-opened and popped like tic tacs. It's tits.

Dannywhitewash likes this.
  12. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

never had it............. POOR PITY ME!

13. nh2032

nh2032 Advocate (565) New York Oct 15, 2009

Abner and Abrasive for me.

14. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Every other beer I can't get.

15. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I'd really like to try Abrasive... seems more likely to find than Heady Topper

16. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (435) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Agreed, I about forgot about Elevated its up there with HT.

17. its not overly close but one i would not "replace" but substitute as an easy option would be Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

18. Dunno if Green Flash has made it there yet, but GF Palate Wrecker is kinda similar in intensity if not exactly the flavor.

19. NOTHING IS LIKE HEADY!!

JxExM and Thickfreakness like this.
  20. On the record, nothing compares to Heady

I have yet to taste anything like it! Lots of KILLER IPA/IIPA's out there, I don't wanna say "In a league of it's own", but it's pretty damn special!

soulkeeper1369 likes this.
  21. Russell Brewing's Hop Therapy

22. potteryboy

potteryboy Aficionado (140) Alabama Jul 17, 2009

While HT is not my favorite I've yet to taste it's equal.

23. that sounds like some kinky flashlight shizz right thar.....

24. prodigo

prodigo Zealot (85) Massachusetts Mar 4, 2011

I found Stone's Enjoy By 12-21-12 to be comparable. It was a tad bit juicier, less dry, less carbonated. Different style of IIPA, but a similar flavor profile for me.

25. ISO Heady Topper, CCB White oak aged Jia Alia FT

26. Dude!! I had no power at that point for a week due to Sandy.:mad:

27. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

The closest I've had was a batch of a local (tiny) NH brew "Lotus Eater" - it was the first batch they did and when fresh it had a very similar "fill the room" hop perfume thing to it when first opened. Like HT it wasn't much to look at (hence "drink from the can") but the taste was out of this world. Batches 2-5 were very hit or miss (like with Lunch they were dialing in equipment, recipe and process) but word on the street is that the upcoming batch (#6?) due to hit in the next week or so is supposed to be phenomenal.

Disclaimer - I have no connection with the brewery at all aside from buying their beer. I was just floored when I had this beer and immediately thought HT when I first had it (I actually cleaned my bottle shop out of it.)

28. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

I have to agree that nothing compares to Heady, certainly not Sculpin.

A couple of Shaun Hill's beers, namely Ephraim and Abner remind me a bit of Heady, but still not the same. For locally available stuff, Flower Power is pretty tasty.

This may be blasphemy, but Double Galaxy actually blew me away as a tropical fruit and citrus bomb, and I actually think it's better than Heady.

EnronCFO likes this.
  29. I hear ya. We lost power for almost a week in each of the 3 major storms these past two years. In fact, my first Headys were the week of last October's halloween snow storm...and subsequent weeklong outtage.

30. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Aficionado (100) New York Dec 13, 2012

Anyone know the realistic shelf life for HT? I am holding on to some but don't want it to push it to far.

31. Double Galaxy is definitely better than Heady Topper, at least in my opinion.

32. I honestly bought a 6-pack of Anchor Liberty tonight after reading this post. And I am 100% confident in stating that you're insane if you think this is anywhere near Heady Topper. I hope you were joking.

Jwale73 and mackeyse like this.
  33. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Nothing; it's perfect.

34. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Double Sunshine has to be as difficult to obtain as Heady, no?

35. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

....ass?

Jk, I love Lunch.

j47paco likes this.
  36. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Probably 5x as much more difficult.

Horbar likes this.
  37. DevilsCups

Drive up to Peekskill Brewery. Their Amazeballs Pale, Eastern and Double Standard IPA's are all in the same vein as Heady.

38. I was just in that area last week! Figures....

39. DevilsCups

Yeah, go back. Make a day of it. You can hit Captain Lawrence and Peekskill in one trip.

40. Always glad to help man.

Extravadanza and Lordkrystic like this.