1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What breweries are using 32oz swing tops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leedorham, Jan 2, 2013.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I am in love with this packaging choice.

[​IMG]

There are a few WA breweries (Howe Sound, Schooner Exact) using these and I hope more breweries join in. It's returnable, reusable, repurposable, and a much better size to drink through quickly than a 64oz growler. They typically come crown-capped then can be re-closed with the swing top.

Who else is using these?

docrates and audioserf like this.
  2. No idea, but I like it. I have a 32oz growler from Relic brewing in Connecticut. its a screw cap, really nice, but other places wont fill it for me. Kind of a bummer.

3. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

CCB is using them.

4. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

tronto and leedorham like this.
  5. East End Brewing in Pittsburgh
    [​IMG]

docrates, ChanChan and leedorham like this.
  6. Night Shift in MA use them.

tehzachatak likes this.
  7. Two Roads Brewing, who just opened in Stratford, CT, offer the flip-top 32oz as the Growlito. I think it's awesome.

leedorham likes this.
  8. I moved out of CT shortly before they opened :( I want to pick up a growler on one of my trips up

9. nulledge

nulledge Aficionado (170) Florida Jul 14, 2008

Along with every other brewery in FL because the stupid state only allows breweries to fill 32 oz or 128 oz growlers.

10. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Tired Hands in PA just started using them. I'm really into it as well, especially since I rarely want 64oz of a particular beer.

11. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

Peg's Cantina/Cycle Brewing is using them (Gulfport, FL).

12. voxomkid

voxomkid Aficionado (135) Florida Jun 28, 2010

Not every brewery in FL uses swing-tops though, most of the other breweries use the growlers with the screw-on caps.

13. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

New England brewing will fill it. Sometimes its nice to get an extra half fill for half price.

I got one from Throwback Brewery in NH. Great size for sure, much beter than the 750 ml ones that HF uses.

14. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Wheeping Radish in NC.

15. Throwback Brewery in North Hampton, NH offers both 32 and 64 in a swing top.

16. MegC

MegC Zealot (80) Virginia Nov 26, 2012

Hardywood Park in Richmond

mcaulifww likes this.
  17. I just wish the places that did would charge reasonable prices for them... When I see $10 and up for a 32 that's not like an uber-rare limited release shelfwale yaddah yaddah, I get pretty pissed. Combined with the fact I don't have these sitting around at home like my other growlers, AND that at least one brewery I love charges $5 for the glass alone, I'm looking at well-above bar prices for a single pour of beer in my own home if I want to try something from a new brewery in a small amount.

18. leedorham

The intention of the typical $4 - $5 charge is that it is a deposit. You bring back the growler and either refill or exchange. That means you get 32oz of beer for $5 - $6.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

19. The $10+ is the fill price I see for a lot of these. i.e., I'm laying out $10 for a fill and then another $5 for a deposit.

But yes, you do bring up the good point that I can, I guess, just return the growler instead of keeping it for the next time I get a fill.

20. leedorham

Ah, I see. I probably wouldn't pay $10 for the fill unless it were an imperial or something special.

21. Yeah. NEBCO has it right, I think - just charge half price for a half fill. Not sure why some breweries insist on charging a premium for the 32's. Understood you'd like to make it look like you're giving people a discount on the 64s, but even a dollar when you're talking about a growler ends up being a pretty big percentage difference.

22. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

We were just discussing this the other day at CCB, silly, stupid law IMO...........

23. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I have one labeled from Whole foods. I got it from Mjtiernan in Rochester, NY.
    I know that not all whole foods will fill it. I took it to Vegas with me on vacation and they dont fill them.

Cheers!

24. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

Good Nature Brewing in Hamilton NY has those as an option or the standard 64oz growler. The 32oz are more expensive though. Due to deposit. But yes they are certainly easier to drink through than a 64oz on your own.

25. Grolsch has used them for a long time. I remember drinking from them in the eighties when I was about five years old.

26. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

27. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Anyone know where to get these on the Internet, never seen this style before?

tronto likes this.
  28. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Dave's BrewFarm in Wilson, WI.

29. Enegren Brewing Company in Moorpark, CA. It's the only growler I own.

GlassHound likes this.
  30. Rogue uses them, now. Pennichuck did when they were still open. Grölsh uses swing-top 16oz bottles. Alot of home brewers use the Grölsh bottles. They're great. Last for years. I probably have four cases of them. Altenmünster uses them.

31. Highland's cold mountain comes in this format among others.

32. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Premium Draught in Houston has 32 and 64 swing top growlers. You pay a six dollar deposit for either size on your first one, and then they switch it out for a new one every time you return, or you can bring it back for your money back.

You can also get the 32 and bring it back and then get a fill on a 64 and the deposit is still covered.

You can see a partial pic of the growlers on the first page of the website.

33. I live in northern Virginia and all of the Whole Foods around here fill 32 and 64 oz growlers, and I agree the 32 ones are great.

34. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Olde burnside in CT also uses them. They are blue for their Christmas beer

35. Seems to me that the question should be broken down into which brewers bottle their beers in those bottles, and which will sell them, or will accept them for 1 quart/1 liter growler fills.

I have two I used for growler fills which were purchased as regular bottled beers from NJ's long gone Blue Collar Brewing Co. (blue glass, too) and from Yards in Phila. (I think it contained Trubbel de Yards). From what I've seen, I paid less for those full bottles than some places charge for them empty.

36. Exactly.

It would be cool if someone started using 40's though.
    Then I could pour one out for my homies like back in the day :eek:

RobertColianni likes this.
  37. leedorham

Yeah, my original question was more about who uses them as their bottles instead of 12's, 22's etc. I would have tried issuing a correction but it's my fault for not splaining well enough anyway.