1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what breweries are you willing to blindly try anything from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nanobrew, Nov 29, 2012.

1. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Hill Farmstead, I guess . . . that is the only one I can think of. I am, admittedly, maybe overcautious with my money. Some beer styles are hard for me to like, and every brewer is capable of making something shitty—you just hope they're smart enough not to release it.

Oh, and the Alchemist—but I'm not sure that counts ;-)

2. GPLanciano

GPLanciano Aspirant (25) Oct 22, 2012

I may be too plebeian for this thread (only started drinking beer 3 months ago) but here it goes:

Rochefort (dear God, it's all awesome) Stone, Dogfish Head, Weihenstephan and Mayflower.

Lantern likes this.
  3. I am not going to state the obvious but Bell's(since now I live in PA I can buy, will buy) Founders, and Weyerbacher because they are local and do product decent brews.

4. Three Floyds
    Summit
    Bells . . . with more to surely follow:)

5. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Also, my local spot Pizza Port OB. Always try whatever new beer they have on tap (so I guess the bottle store example doesn't work).

6. +1
    I'll try any beer once.

7. celtic33

celtic33 Disciple (70) Minnesota Oct 22, 2012

Surly and New Glarus have never disappointed.

8. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Dogfish Head, Stone, Lagunitas, Founders, Oskar Blues

Sazz9 likes this.
  9. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

For the most part I'll shy away from styles that I've never enjoyed.

But if Pretty Things puts out something that I don't think I'll like, I'll try it anyway and if I don't like it I'll chalk it up to my own narrow and petty sensibility.

This is all hypothetical, though, as I've never tried something by Pretty Things I didn't like.

10. Used to be Oskar Blues before I tried Gubna... Didn't like that onion bomb so now I'm a little weary before trying some of their offerings. Sierra Nevada is a pretty safe go-to.

11. Jack's Abby

12. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Stone, Founders, Firestone Walker, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Hill Farmstead, Jack's Abby, Grey Sail, Lawson's Finest Liquids, Russian River, Bells, Cantillon, Goose Island, Troegs, New England Brewing Co, Maine Beer Company, Three Floyds, Pretty Things, ..........Ahh, it's a good beer life!!

13. jdklks

jdklks Savant (375) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, and that's about it, unless you go more specific. For example, I will blindly try any sour or ipa from Russian River, etc.

14. Boulevard, Smuttynose, Straight to Ale, Terrapin

15. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

There's more than a few. People like to rip on breweries but there's quite a lot of them producing quality offerings in every style they try their hand at even if they're not a whale factory.

Some of mine: Sierra Nevada, Stone, Lagunitas, Founders, GI, 3F, FFF, Cantillon, CCB, HF, Green Flash, FW, RR, Funky Buddha, Alpine, Deschutes. There's probably more I'm forgetting.

16. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

New Glarus, Founders, 3F, Sierra Nevada... maybe a few others but those are the obvious ones. Granted, if you hand me a hefe when it's ten degrees out and I'm eating spare ribs, or a RIS when it's 85 and humid and I'm probably going to get something more appropriate for conditions, so there's that to take into account.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  17. I don't enjoy bourbon barrel aged beers, so not Founders. Really. Do like many of their beers, but all of those in barrels, not so much. The last several times in the Grand Rapids area have not bothered to stop.

Most all of the Firestone Walker for sure. Maybe not the bourbon barrel beers, but those weren't on tap when we were there. Did have a little from a barrel that Matt was tasting that day. :)

18. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

Avery, Deschutes, Cigar City, Hoppin Frog and (I'll get flamed on this) Rogue...not because they're consistently good, but I like the novelty. Then I like to bitch about it on BA (seems almost cliche).

AnotherImperial likes this.
  19. Stone, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Alesmith, DogFish Head

20. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

Sierra Nevada

Hair of the Dog

Nøgne Ø

Founders

Samuel Smith's

I once would have said Cigar City but I keep finding unexpected things on tap and they keep being sub par. Looking especially at you, Table Saison. Hotter than Helles and Cracker were both meh. Other stuff is great.

21. Sante Adairius!

22. slconnol

slconnol Disciple (60) New Jersey Dec 2, 2010

New England Brewing Company, Maine Beer Company, Nightshift

masterob8 likes this.
  23. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

CCB
    Founders
    Stone

24. Brewsed

Brewsed Savant (305) North Carolina Oct 29, 2010

Russian River, Founders, Bells, CCB, and my buddy Joe :).

Sterlingbeerguy likes this.
  25. Mic-Lee

Mic-Lee Zealot (95) Oct 30, 2012

Russian River
    Sierra Nevada
    Alpine
    Port Brewing

All of these have a very strong pedigree and I have yet to be left completely flat with any of their offerings.

26. second.
    [​IMG]

IcemanCometh likes this.
  27. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (425) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Kane brewing and Lost Abbey. Love everything I have tried from them.

28. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I would have to say Surly. They have never made a below average beer, and most of their beers are downright delicious.

29. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (805) Texas Jun 14, 2012

New Glarus
    Capital
    Lakefront
    Ale Asylum
    Great Dane

My favorite Wisconsin breweries. Haven't had a disappointment from any of them. Wish I could get them in Texas.....

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  30. Not going to repeat breweries mentioned many times above.
    I'll just add Terrapin, Troegs and Victory

31. Great Avatar.

Go Brew Crew!!!!!!!!!!

32. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Abita
    Shipyard
    Terrapin...

Wait, what? wrong thread. Sorry.

33. O'so, Surly, Hinterland, Ommegang, and New Belgium.

34. New Glarus, Three Floyds, Dogfish Head, Cigar City, Founders, Firestone Walker, Deschutes, Elysian, and Odell.

35. I haven't tried O'so; are they good?

36. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Founders, Hill Farmstead, and Short's -- I know plenty disagree on Short's, but I'm a fan.

37. They're fantastic. I love everything they make. I could make a few suggestions depending on what you like.

38. Olde Hickory, Foothills, and Fullsteam. Ill try anything our local breweries put out!

Also partial to Founders, Rogue, and just recently Boulevard.

39. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

Town Hall and New Glarus