1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what breweries are you willing to blindly try anything from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nanobrew, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Stone, Terrapin, DFH, Allagash, Ommegang, Unibroue, Shmaltz, Bell's, Founders, Duck Rabbit, Mother Earth, Heavy Seas

2. MudDrinker

MudDrinker Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 16, 2012

Great Lakes
    Founders
    Bell's
    Dogfish Head

3. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I agree with you about ripping on a beer before trying, I think that is a snob reaction. My point is with all of the new breweries and vast amount of new beer there is no way my wallet or liver can handle them all. So when faced with unheard of beers there are certain brewers I am more willing to try. I wish I could try them all

4. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Oh hah, yeah, of course. You have to limit yourself to what you think is interesting and I don't go 'round tasting every beer I can get my hands on. That being said, I'm the totally smashed guy at the beer festival :p (no I'm not :D)

The thing is, if someone offers you a sip, would you go: "ugh, no, I had a beer by that brewery once and hated it" or would you still give it a fair go? There's always a fine line to be drawn between these things, especially when it comes to finances. If you've disliked pretty much every beer a brewery has done up to that point (which to me is purely hypothetical with all these styles around, they're bound to be at least half decent at something), it's unlikely that you'll buy a $30 bottle from them.

Then again, there's a difference between healthy consumer apprehension and simply slamming a beer because it's been brewed by a certain brewery. With all the style varieties out there that's just nonsensical.

For example: I disliked Dark Lord, but I love the IPA's that 3 Floyds do.

nanobrew likes this.
  5. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (260) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

three floyds
    stone
    founders
    great lakes
    firestone walker

6. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (525) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Central Waters, I've never had a bad beer from them. Maybe not always to my taste but always a well crafted, top notch beer.

7. FlyingKelly

FlyingKelly Savant (250) Texas Nov 28, 2012

Russian River - although I've only had their brew twice, I'm ready and willing to try again and again.
    Dogfish Head - I don't always like it (usually I do), but I'll try anything from them.
    Allagash - Always ready to try it!

8. Im gonna go ahead and throw in Olde Mecklenburg in Charlotte--they make fantastic German lagers (at least from what Ive had so far), and ive starting to trust everything they do.

Uwftke26 likes this.
  9. FFF
    Surly

10. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

stone surly three floyds cantillon drie fontienen captain lawrence hill farmstead russian river sierra nevada lost abbey green flash pizza port (any location) dark horse founders bells jolly pumpkin cigar city firestone walker alesmith hair of the dog hollister lagunitas bear republic pelican cascade squatters red rock ballast point alpine jackie o's alaskan kuhnhenn hopping frog

11. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

Founders and FFF

12. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (215) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Surly and Founders

13. Any brewery. I like beer, so I would never turn down beer, or not try a beer.

14. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

not even with their chocolate ale this past year? \=

15. Founders and Stone.

16. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Dogfish Head is my wild card. I don't care what they put out. I will buy it.

17. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Savant (405) Ohio Mar 19, 2011

Great Lakes, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, and Fat Heads

18. aside from many already mentioned, and particularly those within the great beer state, i've gotta add:

PETRUS - liquid fucking gold

19. jawneyt

jawneyt Aficionado (235) Wisconsin Mar 14, 2012

Hill Farmstead, Toppling Goliath

20. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 23, 2010

Three Floyds all day. Anything, unless it resembles Bull Guppy, will be really tasty.

21. Sierra Nevada, in fact I usually make it a point to pickup whatever new releases or collaborations.

22. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

805 is all hype for us locals to buy tshirts, hats and bumper stickers.

On topic firestone walker, russian river, 3 floyds, founders and deschutes.

23. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Great Lakes Brewing, Founders, Bell's, Weyerbacher, North Coast, & Anchor all come immediately to mind

24. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

Maine, Jack's Abby, and the obligatory mention of Stone

25. TnBeer_Diva

TnBeer_Diva Aspirant (35) Dec 1, 2012

Yazoo, Terrapin, and New Belgium - Rarely disappointed with anything they release.

26. Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada, Victory and Cricket Hill (a NJ local)

27. Chug-A-Lugger

Chug-A-Lugger Initiate (20) Dec 2, 2012

Sierra Nevada brewery in Chico CA, never a bad brew & the seasonal Celebration is a "can't wait for"..

28. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Stone
    Dogfish Head
    Deep Ellum
    Jester King
    Southern Star
    Sierra Nevada
    New Belgium (Lips of Faith series)
    Deschutes
    Austin Beerworks

I would also totally buy FFF, Firestone Walker, Russian River, Bell's, Founders, Jolly Pumpkin, Alpine, & Cigar City all willy nilly if they distributed here. The Firestone Walker issue is about to be solved in 2013 as they're going to start distributing in Austin/DFW (yay!)

I need a Bell's Amber like you wouldn't believe...

29. Dogfish Head. Some of the releases are stronger than others, but they're always interesting (and high quality).

30. Founders as well.

31. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Russian River, Alesmith, Firestone Walker, Three Floyds, Bell's, and Founders.

32. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

Founders, 3F & Stone.

33. pipeworks

34. Unibroue and Lagunitas. Out of all the beer I've had from these two, I can only think of 1 each that I didn't absolutely enjoy. And they weren't even that bad.

35. Great Lakes
    Thirsty Dog
    Founders
    Hoppin' Frog
    Stone
    3Floyds
    Sierra Nevada

Never had a bad experience with any of them

36. Three Floyds is my #1

37. Sierra
    Deschutes
    Stone
    Speakeasy

38. Founders, hardywood, and recently trying to get through all the pipeworks stuff and I'm rather pleased.

39. scottpeeling

scottpeeling Zealot (75) New York Sep 16, 2012

ommegang. everything i've tried by them is not just good, but amazing.

40. Founders, Stone, and East End Brewing