what breweries are you willing to blindly try anything from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nanobrew, Nov 29, 2012.

1. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Alpine
    Russian River
    Hill Farmstead
    HotD
    AleSmith
    Bell's
    Founders
    Cantillon
    3F
    Fantome

2. Firestone Walker, especially anything from the Proprietor's Reserve.
    Hair of the Dog.

3. Hill Farmstead
    FFF's
    Alpine

4. Alesmith, Brasserie d'Achouffe & Founders...

5. "Czech" Pils?

My answer (naturally): Heller-Trum.

6. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Bruery
    Founders
    Boulevard
    Russian River
    Hill Farmstead
    Bear Republic
    3 Floyds

Cantillon
    3F
    Fantome. . . . .

You know, there's probably many more. There are a lot of good breweries!! (and I forgot to list any of the amazing traditional German and Belgian places!)

jmgrub likes this.
  7. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Sierra Nevada, easily. I've yet to have bad Victory, but I still need to explore their offerings a bit. Troegs is close, but I wasn't a fan of Troegenator.

Loved every SN brew I've had. I've bought plenty of full cases of Sierra Nevada that I've never had. Driving home with a case of Tumbler I started getting worried. Popped the cap and felt stupid for worrying.

Edit : Excluding Troegs for Troegenator is kinda dickish though, because I'm not a fan of bocks to begin with.

8. Bernerdawg

Bernerdawg Aficionado (155) Georgia Jul 18, 2011

Bell's
    Founders
    Sierra Nevada

9. Bells' Lager of the Lakes? Founders Noble Lager?

10. If this is theoretical then from what others say , Hill Farmstead.

ISO: HF

11. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Sierra Nevada
    Boulevard

12. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (550) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Founders. I even loved the hated FMB. Everything they brew is top notch in my book.

13. These guys kill it. Good to see them getting a bit of love.

14. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I don't see how The Bruery makes this list for anyone. If anything, that's the one brewery I always second guess purchasing from; 90% of the time I get overpriced mediocrity.

I'll always try Russian River, Lost Abbey, and (cheating) Westvleteren beers.

I'm quite the Mikkeller fan, but a fair amount of disappointment accompanies that. But when he's great, he's great.

15. Hill Farmstead, Lawson's, Mystic if it didn't cost so much, Jack's Abby, Maine Beer Co, HOTD, RR, Founders (even after FMB)

16. De Dolle is all good.

herrburgess likes this.
  17. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Schlafly and Specher are consistently good

callmeishmALE likes this.
  18. I will drink any DFH just cause Im a " fanboy". Russian River, Cantillon

19. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Weyerbacher. Love everything they do besides Double Simcoe, and only because I'm not a hophead.
    The Bruery. Only been left down (a bit) by Mischief. It was still very good though.
    Russian River. Of course.
    Alesmith. Haven't had anything yet from them I didn't love.
    Harviestoun. Everything they do is awesome.
    Innis & Gunn. Ditto. Love it all.
    Fuller's. Not a bad beer yet.
    La Trappe, St. Bernardus, and most anything Belgian.

20. Schlafly is definitely my second along with Sierra Nevada. I love schlafly so damn much.

21. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Southern Tier. Troegs and Harpoon are close. I live in Boston and have pretty much have had all of Harpoon's offerings and 100 Barrel Series. Every time I see a new one at the store I always pick it up. Usually not the best beer ever, but I almost always enjoy it.

I would've thrown DFH on here, but I've struck out a bit with them lately. I feel like they favor weirdness over taste

22. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (400) California Feb 15, 2011

What's wrong with their Czech Pils? I'm not a fan of pilsners and even I thought that beer was decent

23. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

The Bruery can do no wrong.

24. Minneapolis Town Hall, Cantillon

25. BGdad

BGdad Aficionado (135) Iowa Oct 9, 2012

Coopersmiths, New Belgium and Samuel Smith... i sound like a fort collins homer

26. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I forgot to mention Victory. Haven't had a bad beer yet. There's a few others that I'm sure would make the list but I haven't been able to get my hands on enough

27. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Avery. Even if it happened to be terrible, which doesn't happen, I'd be glad I supported them. Not only do I love their beer, but I love their "let's just make great beer for the hell of it" style.

Also, I'll try anything Founder's especially since we don't get it here and everything I've had is incredible. Who else makes a mix pack with ALL world class beers.

Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  28. I dont see beers that i have no idea about.

29. Airyk12

Airyk12 Aficionado (155) Oregon Jan 1, 2011

The Commons, Deschutes, Upright, Hitachino, and Cascade, for sure. Hell I try lots of things from Cascade blind. Also Elysian and Widmer. Sure, those two don't always make amazing beers, but they rarely make terrible ones (pale beet bock not withstanding).

30. Airyk12

Airyk12 Aficionado (155) Oregon Jan 1, 2011

Also forgot about Anchorage. Holy hell these guys know how to make a beer...

31. I find it extremely harsh and jarring, in a style that is supposed to be extremely soft and smooth. If I had to guess why this is -- and to be constructive in my criticism -- I'd say it's owing to the use of inferior U.S. 2-row pale malt, which typically imparts a much more sharp graininess than Bohemian or German pilsner malt. I'd also guess that little or no attempt to approximate Czech water profile(s) was made, which is an extremely important component to any beer wanting to call itself a "Czech (style) pils." Both of these things just scream "shortcuts"; and taking shortcuts in such a subtle style should get you dinged by anyone who's ever had more than a handful of examples of the style.

32. Russian River, Hill Farmstead, Night Shift, Cigar City

masterob8 likes this.
  33. jeffthepony

jeffthepony Savant (365) Georgia Jan 24, 2009

Probably Founders and Lagunitas

34. Town Hall
    Russian River
    Cigar City

or

Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan

35. Hill Farmstead
    Three Floyds
    Lawson's
    Firestone Walker
    Founders

36. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Avery has had a couple that I can remember that I thought was pretty raw on my palate, and really didn't enjoy. (Depelceluse and Avery 16th anniversery) but, their beers arent' designed to please everyone's palates, and they brew artistically and aggressively on purpose. I love every single other beer that they brew, and also reallly appreciate their attitude towards beer and brewing. They've done a lot to push style boundaries and perception.

37. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Besides Avery, I'd try anything from Lost Abbey, Ommegang, Unibroue, Firestone, Boulevard, Sierra Nevada, Cigar City, Deschuttes, and many others. Not counting some of my Belgian favorites like the trappist breweries, D'achouffe, Fantome... I guess I am a big fan of many different styles and breweries and I think a lot of us would try almost anything blindly from a well known brewery, because we like to try a wide variety of beers and styles.

38. BrettMcCal23

BrettMcCal23 Zealot (75) Minnesota Nov 23, 2010

Founders, Bell's, Odell, Great Lakes, Mad River, and way too many others!

39. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Definitly Alpine....CHEERS