1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery are you still waiting to be impressed by?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

The hype machine generates a lot of good for a lot of breweries.
    But what brewery were excited to try their stuff, have had more than 1 beer from, yet has't grabbed you?

I'm NOT calling for OVERHYPED breweries. Just ones you want to like, for whatever reason, but just can't get behind yet. Call it ones you still have hope for and reservations about.

Me:
    - Boulevard: have had the Long Strange Tripel and Sixth Glass. LST was just ok, Sixth was quite good but didn't wow me.
    - Arcadia: multiple pours of a lot of their stuff. Just not for me.

This is for breweries AS A WHOLE. There are a bunch of other threads about specific beers over and underwhelming. :)

2. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

Mine would have to be Rogue. They have so many brews that sound great, that just don't transfer over in the taste. IMO their Pumpkin Patch Ale was a huge disappointment for me, and the majority of their stuff is mediocre at best.

I wanna like them, I really do. Just haven't found more than 1 or 2 that I love.

3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

ANYTHING special release by Boulevard is incredible. Rye on Rye, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Chocolate Ale, Harvest Dance, Saison Brett, etc etc. All wicked awesome.

4. FEUO

Thats why I started this thread. I have a Rye on Rye at home and have a little trepidation about opening it fearing it will disappoint like the other two.

5. YogiBeer

Sweet lord man, drink the beer. Is it this years? I bought a whole case!

FUNKPhD and dsal89 like this.
  6. YogiBeer

Like literally, call off work, go home, and crack it

7. m100

m100 Aficionado (150) New Jersey Feb 13, 2011

Mikkeller.

8. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

For me, that brewery is Lagunitas. My girlfriend's brother-in-law is obsessed with Lagunitas and thinks its the best out there, however I have failed to see what he finds so amazing about them. I was over at his house for the Super Bowl and had Lagunitas Sucks, Hopstoopid, and A Lil' Sumpin', Sumpin', all of which were decent brews, however I was not impressed enough to rush off and buy some like he does religiously. I want to like Lagunitas more as they are a favorite of many, but I have yet to have anything from them that knocks me off my feet.

9. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Atwater. I sense I may be waiting a long, long time.

ETA: I would really just like a good Detroit proper brewery.

10. jtdolla911 and DelMontiac like this.
  11. YogiBeer

Red, brown shugga, hairy eyeball will all knock your socks off... but they wont be making any more brown shugga till next year, and didnt make red this year BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID AND I HATE THEM.

crytion, gpawned, MisterGrizz and 2 others like this.
  12. Hazelnut Nectar, Shakespeare Stout, Chocolate Stout, and fresh Yellow Snow IPA. Have you had them?

I think the first 3 were all in the top 100 before this site became overran with barrel aged this and sour that. Really top notch brews.

13. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

And they suck

FUNKPhD and YogiBeer like this.
  14. Breckenridge. Had a few of their beers including the Vanilla Porter and wasnt too impressed.

15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I would have to double down on Rogue - something just doesn't click with me and I have tried a bunch. I stopped reviewing 'em (before I stopped buying them) because I apparently have some sort of disconnect going on. Kept trying different brews because I felt I was missing something, but finally concluded there's something I genuinely don't like about their beer.

One I "want" to like is Ommegang - did NOT like their Witte (neither did the missus and wittes are her thing) and was underwhelmed by Scythe and Sickle, but that is not a broad enough sampling of their portfolio. Just the two misses makes me reluctant to buy more - want to like them because I just think they do some cool stuff and I dig their philosophy.

To tie in to OP and Boulevard - Tank 7 is one of my go-to beers. To me it is just dee-lightful.

YogiBeer likes this.
  16. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,105) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

SanTan
    Lumberyard
    Grand Canyon
    Phoenix Ale Brewery
    Fate
    Sonoran
    Sun Up
    Sleepy Dog

17. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Those are their two worst "regular" release beers, IMO. Wait until you've tried Abbey Ale, Three Philosophers and Rare Vos at least until you pass judgement. They make some really excellent stuff.

18. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Market Garden. They built their brewpub right across from Great Lakes, and that's a tough standard to live up to.

19. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Great minds think alike - Three Phils is the next "target".

Shagator and Mgm54 like this.
  20. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

I second Lagunitas...have tried about everything and don't care for any of it.

21. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

New Holland. I love The Poet. Dragons Milk is decent. Everything is else kind of "meh".

gpawned, fredmugs, mecummins and 3 others like this.
  22. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Basically anything from Jester King and Mikkeller

otrejo and FUNKPhD like this.
  23. -Troegs (everything except Nugget Nectar is nothing special)
    -Rogue (I'm just never really impressed, and they are WAY overpriced)

mackeyse and SenorHops like this.
  24. I really like Night Tripper, but yes, they're meh for me too.

Rogue and Green Flash. Hoping the Palate Wrecker I bought today changes my opinion of them.

Andygirl likes this.
  25. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Oh, speaking of, I have a Night Tripper in my basement. Haven't cracked it yet, but I have heard good things about it. So hopefully this is the big one that "wows" me.

26. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

anything brewed by founders after 2011...Was my fav brewery, now its just a big letdown imo.

27. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Buy some Night Tripper and sit on for a few years. I don't like anything else they make though.

28. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

Devil's Canyon
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4950

they are my local brewery (i literally work across the street!). they make good beer, particularly really good scotch ale Full Boar thats pretty tasty and now comes in 16oz cans, i send out as extras probably more than anything else. its also a fun place to hang out with friends and grab a growler or 2 for the weekend.

however they still havnt been able to break the threshhold into being a "good brewery"

i had their BA Full boar (scotch ale) and while it was still pretty tasty i was hugely dissappointed in the lack of berrel character. still waiting for that one beer that absolutely blows me away.

29. There isn't one single beer I go to the store and buy that's brewed in AZ. If I'm paying for it, I'm paying for what I like.

Southern Tier hasn't impressed me.

yemenmocha and Jeremy6566 like this.
  30. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

One of my favorite go to beers. My father doesn't know beer as much as I do (More of a whiskey and gin guy), but thanks to our trip to Duvel last summer (Duvel owns Ommegang), he can't get enough of Hennepin and 3 Phils. Anytime I open one will him, he replaces it the next day. I don't know why he doesn't just buy them buy the case

31. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

White Birch, Troegs, Southern Tier, Shityard.

32. Dogfish Head: I really want to love this brewery. I like that they push the envelope and that Sam Calagione is a great advocate for the craft beer industry. But I just don't love the styles they brew, especially their year-round beers - nothing has ever blown me away or become a regular go-to.

teal, Pelican5 and Deltoro like this.
  33. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I don't get this. Has the quality of the beers decreased? Has FBS, Dirty and Backwoods Bastard, the Porter, and so on, changed in the past year and a half?

34. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Victory.

lokieman and jmgrub like this.
  35. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I agree. Everything is good but nothing is great to me. Tough to beat the price though.

DHS1029 likes this.
  36. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

The Vanilla Porter was horrendous. Tasted like watered down cola.

37. FEUO

Well shiiiiiiit... ok!

Ah yes, I knew there was at least another MI brew or two I hadn't thought of.
    And another vote for Atwater.

38. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

For me, probably Stone... I actually like most of their beers, and their RIS was my go-to for a long time, but nothing is outstanding/world class IMO.

Rogue is a "Not-only-doesn't-wow-me-but-i-just-don't-get-it" for me... i've really tried to like them, their beers always sound really good, but they are all (to me) above average on price and below average on awesome. i did really enjoy a dead guy on tap once, but i thing the waitress bought be a dirty bastard by accident haha.

Shagator and mrelizabeth like this.
  39. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Agreed. I had the 2XIPA around Thanksgiving at a restaurant in the Chicago burbs called The Yardhouse and thought it was great on draft. Later that weekend I went to the store and picked up a 6 pack, but it wasn't quite the same. There are currently 3 bottles still sitting in the back of my fridge...

40. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Three Floyds. I've only had a couple (Zombie Dust and a collaboration or two), and neither was great, but I still have high expectations and hopes. Especially for their Mikkeller collaborations.

Scalzo and draheim like this.