What brewery are you still waiting to be impressed by?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

I can't say I've been unimpressed by any brewery I've visited. However, there are a lot of breweries I'd like to visit still. That being said, I'd like to enjoy Flying Dog and Lagunitas more. Other than 1 or maybe 2 beers from each, I've been quite unimpressed.

2. Upright.
    Minneapolis Town Hall.
    Ninkasi.
    Sweetwater.
    Terrapin.

Naming a few...

3. Mojo

Mojo Savant (385) Alabama Jul 21, 2012

Abita. I want to like them, but so far everything I've had by them is the definition of mediocrity.

4. Bourbon Barrel Quad is AMAZING indeed

Ricelikesbeer and FUNKPhD like this.
  5. It's funny cuz it's true.

6. Throwback. Has all the makings of a great brewery: apprenticed at Smuttynose, committed to using local ingredients, willing to experiment. But their best beer is a brown ale, my least favorite style. Always a let down and overpriced for what it is.

RoninTK3 likes this.
  7. Put me down as another vote for Rogue. I thought the Chocolate Stout was decent and the Chipotle Ale was interesting but nothing I got excited about. Dead Guy, Yellow Snow, Hazelnut Brown, none did anything for me. I appreciate what they are but I just don't care for them. I think part of it for me is their penchant for coming up with (in my mind) wacky recipes. The Voodoo Doughnut series I think is best served staying local to where people are familiar with the bakery. The Beer-d and now the White Whale? It feels like they're right on the edge of being fun and silly or saying "we can throw any horrible thing into a beer and people will drink it."
    Flying Dog is another brewery that just hasn't done it for me. I like the Gonzo but not necessarily over other, more accessible beers. I've had probably half a dozen different brews from them and none have done anything for me.

8. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

the Bruery. I haven't hated their beers, but Tart of Darkness was the only beer I ever felt was worth the money I spent on it, and it was good, not great.

9. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

Left Hand
    Brooklyn Brewery

Though I'm always willing to be proven wrong about any brewery. I bought a bottle of Black Ops recently and I'm eager to crack it open.

10. I'm not going to disagree but their Monkeyfist IPA isn't too bad.

RPH2327 likes this.
  11. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

I Absolutly Agree! Time to STEP UP AZ !!!

EyePeeAyBryan and yemenmocha like this.
  12. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Another for Atwater. I love their Vanilla Java Porter but everything else has been too watery and bland. Another for Arcadia as well. Again, too bland. Although to be fair, I haven't tried as much of their stuff.

CubsJedi likes this.
  13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'd go with Magic Hat and Widmer. They brew... ok stuff but nothing that I'd really seek out so far.

BeerKangaroo and DarkDragon999 like this.
  14. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

I can't wait until Sam Calagione sees this thread and gives you all a quick boxing of the ears.

mkurylko, Radome and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  15. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I think both breweries are great. I'm not saying everything they do is great, but Stone's collaberations are always great, like Mint chocolate stout and the different versions of it's imperial stout and barleywine are great.

Rogue makes a ton of different beers, and some of them underimpress, but overall I'd say they are a very quality brewery with tons of new and great ideas. Plus old standbys like Old Crustacean and Dead guy and Double Dead Guy are fantastic.

16. Mikkeller

17. tronto

tronto Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Yes IMO greatly decreased.

18. frickprick

frickprick Disciple (65) Washington May 11, 2011

Maine Beer Co. - All of the beers I've had from them have had a very thin mouthfeel to them and are underhopped.

19. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Brewdog. Just not great to me

PerdidoKeyBum and kojevergas like this.
  20. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

So you don't support the whole "buy local" philosophy? ;)

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  21. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Savant (325) Georgia Mar 21, 2012

For some reason, I don't have an itch to buy any Terrapin when I'm at the store...Wake N Bake was too much coffee for me, and Hopsecutioner was missing something...and Golden Rye is meh

Same with Brooklyn Brewery (haven't had Black Ops though)

22. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

What I was going to say. So far I've had Zombie Dust, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Dreadnaught, and Gumballhead. Only ZD came anywhere close to living up to the acclaim heaped upon it. Everything else was just, well, fine. Nothing special. Gumballhead was downright disappointing. When I hear about people waiting in lines to buy beer at the brewery, most of all I'm just perplexed and maybe even a little sad. I still have a Dark Lord I keep thinking about opening, I should just get it over with.

arniepnminne likes this.
  23. KelsoSaaz

KelsoSaaz Savant (255) Maine Jan 24, 2013

Couldn't agree more. I want to like them, but none of their brews have done it for me.

24. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I soooo agree with you about Atwater...Even their "top" beer Vanilla Java Porter is mediocre at best...With that said, I disagree with you about a good Detroit proper brewery...I personally really like Motor City Brewing Company..

CubsJedi likes this.
  25. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

The VJ Black isn't bad, other then that I totally agree

26. tommyz

I dont even know where to go with this post as I find it absurd...Not that you dont like the place..But to say the quality has gone down and the beers are not the same is just wrong

27. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

75% of them....:confused: Really, do some of these breweries even taste their swill??? There is a lot of breweries that put out beers for sale that I would be embarrassed to have home brewed. No names, but wow!!, a lot of crap out there.

28. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I have never had MCBC, hope to be proven wrong about Detroit breweries.

29. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (480) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Surly. While I enjoy Furious, there are at least 5 or 6 other IPAs I can get every single day without having to go to Minnesota. I will keep trying beers from them in hopes that something does in fact really make me stand up and take notice. For instance, I have not had Abrasive or Wet.
    (I have only had Furious, Tea-bagged Furious, Bender, Moe's Bender, Coffee Bender, and CynicAle so far.)

30. Sly Fox, I really want to like them, but their beer in general is just average

31. tommyz

They are not a "big" beer type of brewing co. fyi..They make good drinking beers...Their Winter Ale is fantastic..I enjoy their pale ale and their Ghettoblaster...When you go, order a pizza...Their pizza's are phenomenal

Kerrie likes this.
  32. Alesmith.

I liked Their Wee Heavy but their Speedway was overrated and their Hoppy stuff has been hugely non hoppy. BOTTLE DATE'S HELP ALESMITH!

frankthetank86 likes this.
  33. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Ommegang. I've had a decent amount of their beers yet every time I expect something great I come away disappointed.

Flying Dog. I like Gonzo, and had Pearl Necklace this weekend which wasn't too bad, but other than that I haven't cared much for what I've tried.

vince4953529 likes this.
  34. Mikkeller, Lagunitas, Rogue, DFH. Just don't get the love for these brewers but I realize some people have different tastes.

35. alex021224

alex021224 Savant (320) Michigan Nov 3, 2012

For me it is New Holland and Arcadia. They both have a couple of good selections, but overall none really blew me away. I though the same thing about Short's until I tried Publican and Goodnight Bodaious.

CubsJedi likes this.
  36. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Jolly Pumpkin. I have yet to be really impressed by a beer they make.

37. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

The growlers and bottles are super cheap, the beer looks interesting. Did I see this at Henry Ford Museum, maybe I have had it?!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  38. In Los Angeles:

1. The Strand
    2. Monkish- Almost there
    3. Angel City
    4. BJ's- LOL!

blguillen likes this.
  39. jeffdill

jeffdill Aficionado (145) Ohio Apr 26, 2012

Sam Adams, Rogue, Southern Tier, Flying Dog. I want to like them, but I'm consistently underwhelmed.

I don't care for Abita at all, Jockamo IPA was pretty awful the one time i had it.

Not sure why the hate for Lagunitas, I really enjoy their beers. New Holland has some awesome brews too, I loved the different variants of Mad Hatter (Farmhouse Hatter, Black Hatter, Rye Hatter).

40. lilsmizzul1225

lilsmizzul1225 Savant (425) Indiana Dec 27, 2012

I recently tried their Robert the Bruce and I thought it was pretty amazing. So if you see it, give it a try.