1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery are you still waiting to be impressed by?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Abita for me. Sometimes I think I missed the memo that says they try to be under flavored. Nothing I've had from them had much flavor in it at all.
    njhopspop likes this.
  2. Everything I have tried from St Arnold I found to be meh.
    Lagunitas SUCKS on the other hand lol I could live my life with that beer
  3. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Actually love the place, my first post on ba was how I don't think they can be beat. 2012 was not a good year for them imo...fbs, and backwoods, and d.t. (cant really fairly judge cuz the earliest bottle dates we had were already 5 weeks old) were not up to par with 09,10,11. I've had many people agree with me and many disagree to each his own, just my opinion.
    tommyz likes this.
  4. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Savant (345) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

Sixpoint. I hear nothing but good things about their stuff, but to date I've tried Resin, Bengali Tiger, Diesel, and 3Beans, and most fall into the "Meh" category. Even 3Beans, which is my favorite of the four, has a weird metallic flavor. The Resin and Bengali Tiger I tried were both very light on the hops, so I thought maybe I'd gotten old cans, but I tried Bengali Tiger on draft last week and it was more of the same. I keep thinking/hoping I'm getting unlucky, but I'm starting to lose hope.
  5. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

Mikkeller
    Three Floyds
    Sixpoint
    Never will buy anything from those three ever again.

as much as I hate to talk bad about breweries in the state in which I currently reside:
    Blue Mountain
    Devils Backbone
    I'm rooting for the success of last two and still try every new beer they put out even though I haven't had something from them I would consider exceptional. Although they have obviously impressed others, as both have medaled at the GABF.
  6. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

7. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Dogfish Head- my favorite of theirs is 45-minute, everything else just tastes funny.

Stone- Favorite is Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Beans. Everything else, somebody else in the area does it better.

Rogue- Shakes Oatmeal Stout is a solid example of the style, but almost everything else disappoints. Single hop ales are good, but hard to find outside of NorCal/Oregon. The Voodoo doughnut beers are SO bad that they should lose their liquor license. The fact that they brewed ANOTHER one is proof that these guys are no longer up there with the big boys.
  8. mrelizabeth

Robert the Bruce is amazing.
    LordFoul and CubsJedi like this.
  9. mrelizabeth

You can't knock Alesmith until you've had Vietnamese Speedway on cask.
  10. mrelizabeth

Ya like what ya like, ya don't what ya don't. If you've given a series of beers multiple chances, and not enjoyed them each time, then you have every right to let the brewery know. That being said, Bitches Brew almost makes up for the DFH beers that I don't like.
  11. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Saint arnold
    Jester king
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm going with rogue and stone. I just don't enjoy the beers from either brewery. I don't know why either. When I drink things from either brewery I just wish I had the same style beer brewed by a brewery I actually like in my glass. Happened with shakespear stout, happened with enjoy by, happened with dead guy ale, and it happened with double bastard. Let the flaming begin.
  13. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I've recently been able to try a few from Deschutes (Black Butte and Red Chair) and was less than impressed by them. I really wanted to like them too. They weren't bad by any means, just not worth all the hype. I absolutely love a few from New Holland and Left Hand, but find the rest of their beers just so-so.
  14. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Abita
    Bell's
    Dogfish Head
    Hinterland
    Sam Adams

Not that the beer is garbage, just that it's not for me.
  15. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

You and I may be the only people who loved vanilla java porter.
  16. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I love Boulevard as well. I had not seen that thread. That story kicks at least 9 kinds of ass.
  17. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I don't understand the "I like everything by X brewery but nothing is world class" camp (in response to this particular thread). Making a consistently good line of brews, even if nothing is world class, is impressive in my book. So Stone, Lagunitas, Victory, Troegs, while not world class, are impressive to me.

IMO, it's the Flying Dog, Magic Hat, Widmer, Rogue school where they have one or two good to great brews and a handful of average to even bad ones that still need to "impress" me. I like FD Raging Bitch and MH Ticket to Rye, but on the whole, my reaction to those brewers has been underwhelmed to outright disappointed.
  18. Sixpoint. Resin is good not great. Sweet Action was woeful, and Diesel was even worse.
    jampics2 and headyhopzhead like this.
  19. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Allagash, Boulevard, Brewery Vivant, Dark Horse (given up), Duck Rabbit, Fantome (given up), Great Lakes (given up), Hanssens, Jaden James, Jolly Pumpkin, Lagunitas, Left Hand, Nebraska Brewing, New Holland, Ofallon, Perennial, Rogue, Short's, Six Row, Starr Hill, Surly, The Livery, Tyranena, and Urban Chestnut. I'm sure I've forgotten a few.
  20. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Rogue. The Voodoo series is an abomination. Enough so that it makes me want to never do business with them again.
  21. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Annnnnnnnnd done. :)
    [​IMG]

Time to nuke this thread. My OP about Boulevard was a DICK move. :p
    This stuff right here is "metal" (?)

On a side note, I may be biased as I am employed by a place that distills, matures, blends and bottles rye whiskey. ;)
    Rizalini and YogiBeer like this.
  22. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Ale Asylum. Two very good IPA's in Ballistic and Bedlam. Now that they are in their brand new facility, hoping they brew some monster beers. They have some nice limited offerings in their tap room, but my lifestyle doesn't allow me to get out, so I have to wait until it hits the bottles.
  23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Perpetual IPA is damn good. One of the better IPA's I've had.
    raffels likes this.
  24. cproioi

cproioi Savant (315) Ohio Apr 6, 2006

Upland...everything I have had from them is just meh.
  25. Mikkeller - ludicrous prices, zany ridiculous branding and consistently dull beer.
  26. Gnomegang. How great is that stuff? Love that beer. Hopefully they make it again.
  27. Victory. I just don't understand the hype, and I live in the area. I have tried multiple times across multiple Victory offerings and I find it unbelievably overrated.
    katje111 likes this.
  28. Underhopped? I never heard anyone accuse MBC of that.
  29. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Glad to hear that they have gotten Full Boar under control. I've given it a try a few times, and each time it was, IMHO, just my $.02, with the proper disclaimer, infected.
  30. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Aww Yiss! :)
  31. None of you know what you are saying. "I've had some of their beer and it is good, but the other stuff doesn't stand out." Every beer you drink is not going to be World Class, according to BA. Appreciate a beer for what it is. Drink to style. Drink to enjoy. Just because they are "overrated" (for whatever that means), doesn't mean they are bad. Every person has their own taste. Not to be a party pooper, because they do mostly make great beers, but Hill Farmstead is good and great, but is every beer they make the greatest beer in the world? No. I have had a lot of HF beers, but for a few of their beers I have been unimpressed. Does that mean I think they are a terrible brewery? No. They are amazing. Each brewery has their faults and their strong suits. This is a site to appreciate beer. If there are people that don't like Two Hearted or Edmund Fitzgerald or just a tasty Lagunitas IPA, then maybe you don't belong here. Appreciate what it is. This is a crazy post, and people might hate, but there is no reason to hate on good, well established breweries that put out a great product.
  32. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Hype is not a word that I associate with Victory. At all.
    ShanePB and fuzzylogic like this.
  33. b-one

b-one Aficionado (230) California Feb 6, 2013

Stone. Although I just bought a sampler pack to have another go. Figure I'm missing something somewhere.
  34. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Not being impressed by a brewery or a beer is a long way from saying you hate them or that the brewery shouldn't exist. Saying you didn't find beer "X" impressive or amazing does NOT mean you're "hating" on that beer or brewery. If everything is a "gold star" then being a gold star means nothing.

IMO there are too many people that get butt hurt because someone else doesn't like the same things they do. Why do people become so personally offended when others don't like the exact same thing they do?

I don't like IPA's in any fashion. I've yet to have one I'd ever bother to order again. Which pretty much means I don't like 2 Hearted or Lagunitas IPA and yes I've had both. Not the done the Fitz tho. Is this place for me? According to some - maybe not. I guess I'll just decide for me if it is or not, not someone else.

Now I guarantee someone will come along and tell me I have the palate of a garbage truck, don't know what I'm talking about and that I suck. It's because they're offended that I'm not exactly like them. Seeking validation for their own tastes in the tastes and acceptance of others.

Guess I'm secure enough in my "beerhood" to state my preferences and not care. Just the same as when people don't like the things I do. I just don't care.
  35. Smuttynose, Ommegang, and a local brewery, Night Shift
  36. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Three Floyds does not deserve to be on this list.
    creal92 and mpayne5 like this.
  37. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Imperial Hatter dipa also holds up.
    creal92 likes this.
  38. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

Hate to day it but .... Sixpoint
  39. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I agree with Boulevard. Their special releases are good, smokestack series is for the most part good, but their year round lineup is just crap.