1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery are you still waiting to be impressed by?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Tin Man Brewing

Chaney likes this.
  2. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Given up on: Shipyard, White Birch, Magic Hat, Rogue, Abita, Breckenridge

New and still rooting for: Smartmouth

3. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Victory

cityofFestivals likes this.
  4. Overall: The Bruery. I have never been impressed with what I have had from them (Orchard White, Saison De Lente and Autumn Maple). Given those three let downs plus their prices I don't even look at them anymore.

5. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Unibroue. I love Canadian bacon, the Mounties and Neil Young, but I'd rather drink Moosehead than their faux Belgians. Sorry, Maple Leafs.

6. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (435) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

weyerbacher

rogue

7. Exactly. Thanks for proving everything I said. I'm not saying you are not a fan of beer or that you have a terrible palate. Nor do i care what you like or drink. However, to be a fan of beer, hence a Beer Advocate, you need to understand and respect Two Hearted as a fantastic beer. Fine, don't like IPA's, but that is a terrible idea and you obviously can't appreciate beer, as an advocate, if you don't. (Disclaimer--it doesn't have to be Two Hearted, just an example. I don't typically enjoy Hefeweizens or every fruit/vegetable beer, but I understand the style and concept and accept and drink a good expression of one when I taste it.)

trxxpaxxs and mecummins like this.
  8. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (220) California Nov 22, 2010

You couldn't have chosen a worse sample of beers to base your opinion on.

9. Stone. Aside from Ruination everything else I've tried from them has been mediocre.

kojevergas likes this.
  10. Hill Farmstead

Just wanting to get blood pressures up.

Honestly, I've never tried a single one of their beers, but the wife and I are headed to New England for some vacay in a few months and I'm totally stoked to hit the brewery as well as some other staked out establishments that serves their stuff.

BeerKangaroo and kojevergas like this.
  11. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Their mikkeller stuff sucks. If you dont like zombie dust, freash dreadnaught, or murda'd out... then sux2beyou

DHS1029 likes this.
  12. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I agree with this. Have had Mad Hatter and Imperial Hatter as well as Dragons Milk

13. Shagator

Have you had Dreadnaught or APW or Robert the Bruce?

14. Shagator

Have you had Unearthly? Or any of the stouts?

15. harvest dance and the bourbon quad.... I still have a harvest dance in the cellar... i should think of an occation to drink it..

16. Shagator

Have you tried Andy Gator? Its the only one I can stomach.

17. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Not yet, but I'm really excited to try them. I'm in the process of trading for a Dark Lord as well.

Someone above above mentioned that Three Floyds doesn't deserve to be on this list; that struck me as odd since this is a personalized list referring to breweries one specific given individual hasn't been impressed by yet but still holds in high regard after having experienced a limited sampling set. It seems like it's more of a compliment that I've included Three Floyds here.

18. Shagator

Magic Hat, Rogue and New Holland

19. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I stopped reading here. Most breweries that are well know. Aren't known because of the regular release stuff. At least not around here. Second; rye is fucking awesome. Love me some rye brews. Whether its whiskey or beer. It's definitely an acquired thing. I wasn't the type of kid that had to have the crusts cut of my pb an jelly sandwiches as a kid so I'm down. Spice of life type of shiz...

20. Shagator

Dreadnaught is close to the top of my all time favorite list

21. Shagator

;)
    Im going with:

Russian River
    The Alchemist
    Bells
    Founders
    Stone

22. YogiBeer

A weekday sounds good to me.

23. YogiBeer

Dark lord sux

24. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I've tried good beers from Stone. They were almost all collaboration brews, and I think that says a lot about Stone. In any case, I'd never say I still have high hopes when I open a Stone beer I haven't had before. That ship has sailed...

Dogzbone likes this.
  25. yeah good enough. I usually just like to share my "bigger beers" for the sake of spreading the love... Actually the first time i had harvest dance was in colorado this winter on a business trip. I actually got one of my coworkers into craft by sharing that beer (and several others) with him.

26. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Boulevard, Pyramid, Bridgeport. All make sort of meh, passable beers, but nothing I ever crave.

But TBH, New Belgium in recent years. I'm not one to seek out their "unique" beers, their year round offerings are nothing spectacular, they are all okay/good, but nothing amazing. Maybe if I do hunt down one of their limited beers I'd be impressed, but I'm not going on a pilgrimage to their brewery in CO any time soon.

Can anyone persuade me, or shall I just stay in my near hatred of NB?

27. Two Brothers.

YogiBeer likes this.
  28. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (450) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Stone. I've tried so many of their beers, really wanting to like them, and I just can't do it. Their beers always end up being 6s to me and no better.

Magic Hat. A lot of their beers have such a cool gimmick to them that I just WANT to enjoy them. But with the exception of Heart of Darkness, they always go beyond disappointing, to downright unpleasant.

29. FTFY

30. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

31. Glad we got that cleared up then.

32. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Wow, this make me feel bad for you.

DJ-22 likes this.
  33. Sweet action is sweeeeet. You got a bad can

jlenik likes this.
  34. Four pages and nobody mentioned The Great divide? Their IPAs just don't move me at all and Colette was just weird.

35. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Goose Island--other than Sofie, I've been consistently unimpressed by their beers. Their sellout to ABI was just the final nail in the coffin.

Avery--Pretty much the definition of average. I keep trying their beers and keep leaving unoffended but unimpressed.

Pretty Things--I've only had 3 or 4 of their beers from trades. They have lovely artwork, but that's the best I can say about their beers thus far.

36. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

37. How can you say that? They make some of the best pilsners in the country, maybe even the world. Then throw in Storm King, HopDevil, Hop Wallop, Old Ho, etc, etc. You are not impressed by any of their beers? Shame.

Mine are:

Alesmith (not impressed by anything I've had from them)
    Breckenridge (average to below average beers)
    21st Amendment (average)

38. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Lagunitas...but hear me out...it's largely only because I've only had the chance to try their very basic brews. I've never had Sucks or any of their other brews that are so frequently discussed here. I've only had their basic IPA and Censored (an amber). Neither of which are bad, but neither are mind blowing. Whenever I travel, I look for a more extensive Lagunitas line up, and for some reason, still haven't found anything.

39. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

I'll go in with the crowd on Rogue. There are many I haven't tried, but while some have been good, I've never had one of their beers that really bowled me over. I'll also throw in Magic Hat in VT, but for slightly different reasons. They are fully capable of making great beers, as they occaisionally demonstrate with seasonals, but they just choose not to most of the time.

40. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

You, sir are out of your mind. :p

I find their 80 Acre, Pale Ale, Amber Ale and their Pilsner to be highly drinkable.