1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery are you still waiting to be impressed by?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Ok, this is just ridiculous.

2. Arcadia for me... I really want to love this brewery but every beer I try from them is just okay but I will keep on cracking away at their lineup till something wow's me. I hope...

3. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Not ridiculous at all. Their beers have all been pretty average to me, especially for the price point.

4. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'll give this one a solid BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

What have you tried from Mikkeller that did not impress you? I get that their beers are pricey, but I think they do several which are phenominal, namely their Beer Geek series. (breakfast, beer hop, weasil barrel aged versions)

Plus, all of the single hop ipas are awesome.

5. Ricelikesbeer

What have you tried? I'm not a huge sour fan but several of their beers got me into sours. I love noel de calabaza and oro de calabaza. Plus their halloween beers are pretty cool.

6. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

i would agree on their basic stuff (wheat, porter, ipa), but their persommon and kiwi lambic are all kinds of tasty (their others are pretty good, too). i do like their Teddy Bear Kisses as well, wish they would put it into a bourbon barrel again. their BA Winter Warmer is also really nice if you can find it!

7. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Lagunitas is the one of those breweries that fails to impress me. Sucks is a good beer and so is Hopstoopid and some of their other offerings, however I simply cannot justify going out of my way to have one. If offered to me, I will drink it, but other than that, you wont find Lagunitas in my fridge. I have never had Brown Shugga which everyone who loves Lagunitas clamors on about, but apparently its not being made this year or something, hence why there is Lagunitas Sucks. My girlfriend's brother-in-law has fits of orgasms when talking about that beer and I just don't get it. What's so special about it?

8. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Flying Mouflan...............special!

9. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

Sun King. Everyone locally shits themselves over them, but I will never pay 11.99 for a 4 pack of cream ale. Some of their one off IPAs have been decent, but all of those GABF medal winners don't make their way to market very often. I just don't care for their beer.

Biere and mpayne5 like this.
  10. CORKSCREWFISH

Abraxas kicks Chuck Norriss' ass!

11. CORKSCREWFISH

Was thinking of the perfect answer and you hit it right on the head!
    Everything they make is ehhh decent but nothing is impressive.

12. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Bam Noire
    Baudelaire IO Saison (I actually really liked this one)
    Luciernaga
    Madrugada Obscura
    Maracaibo Especial
    Noel de Calabaza
    Sobrehumano Palena'ole (admittedly, this was the Maui canning. Not sure of the difference).

I did not care for Maracaibo Especial at all. It tasted like wet cardboard. Al the other ones were good beers, but I wouldn't buy another bottle of any of them, with the exception of the Saison. This is the reason I said JP; they have a pretty good reputation here, and I want to like them, but I honestly can't say that I've be "impressed" by them so far.

13. Mojo

Mojo Savant (375) Alabama Jul 21, 2012

Haven't had that one yet. I think they have it on tap at Mamma Goldbergs so I'll have to give it a try next time I eat there.

14. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

The Bruery.

I've tried all their highly rated beers and they were either overly sweet, or had too much alcohol in the flavor. White Chocolate was brutal and it ended up being a drain pour. A cloying disaster of a beer.

IMHO, they are one of the most highly overrated breweries out there. .

grandmachine and Biere like this.
  15. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Agree with every word. "This beer is good and I really like this beer, but they just don't wow me." Really? Consistent good beer should be applauded.

Same exact taste too my friend. Although try FD Kujo, that stuff surprised the hell outta me. But what you like and don't like are dead on with my taste buds. So when you get into the beer business (I remember your post a few weeks back) we should interview as a team, Step Brothers style :D

BKBassist likes this.
  16. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

When did they make 45-minute?

LostTraveler likes this.
  17. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Censored is one of my least favorites of Lagunitas. but I'd still gladly take it if it was offered to me. I think that they are a solid brewery. If you get a chance try Sucks or at least Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I think you'll change your mind.

TongoRad and ESeab like this.
  18. jeffdill

jeffdill Aficionado (145) Ohio Apr 26, 2012

I don't see how anyone couldn't love Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

19. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

+1 on Rogue, So Tier, Shipyard, Mikkeller

20. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Samuel Adams-a decent lineup of solid brews but nothing truly impressive imo. Usually only a go to when there is nothing else but bmc available.
    Saranac-like the idea behind some of their beers but execution doen't wow me. Best thing is the sampler.

dar482 likes this.
  21. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

New Belgium, hands down. Their ads and website are cool. They are apparently a great place to work or visit. I have read and heard Peter Bouckaert's remarks on podcasts and I really admire his approach to brewing and his advocacy for beer brewing as an art form. I really want to love his work. The only problem is, I have yet to try one of his pieces of art that I enjoyed. I have not had access to any of his sour/wild beers yet, but every conventional beer I've had from the brewery tasted the same to me. They do not taste Belgian and they do not tast good to my palate. There is a house character in every one that drives me away.

Sorry, Peter... I'm glad for your sake that I seem to be in a minority.

22. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Whoop. Meant 75-minute. Which I understand to be a blend of 60 and 90, and not it's own batch.

ESeab likes this.
  23. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Yep, I really hold no judgement, either good or bad, against Lagunitas based on the IPA and Censored that I've had. Only that I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to find a single other example from them anywhere. I'd love to try Little Sumpin' Sumpin' or Sucks or any of the others that I read about on here. But, with my frustratingly very limited experience, I'm "still waiting to be impressed by" Lagunitas.

mecummins likes this.
  24. fwiw- that is the same exact path I took with Lagunitas (Censored first, then IPA) and didn't really 'get' them until Little Sumpin Sumpin. Strange world. Nowadays I can't live without their Maximus- so, ya never know...

ESeab likes this.
  25. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

I'd help, but it won't be necessary. He can just stand back and let the overwhelming awesomeness of his beer do the a**-kicking of doubters for him. Palo Santo Maron, World Wide Stout, Burton Baton, Fort?!?! Puh-lease!

I have yet to find one of his beers I didn't enjoy, and many are truly spectacular. I won't make a silly statement like "Sam C. can do no wrong.," because he is still human. I'll just say that, for my taste, thus far he's batting a thousand.

26. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (150) Florida Jul 22, 2009

I agree with Dogfish Head......really the only beer I've actually liked from them is 120-Minute IPA......and, yes I know, many people really don't like that one!!

27. Iron Hill-Depends on the season and whos the brewer at the location. Have two locatated within 30 minutes of me so it is a local brewery but have had some really great one off beers and some absolutely horrible beers like their berliner Weisse which was the color of ginger ale and had no characteristics of a berliner weisse. Quality is hit or miss with their beer overall and do not like any of their year-round brews.
    Breckenridge is another. Like the 471 and was tempted to get the 72 Imperial 4-pack but after being in CO and going to their Bar right next to Coors field and being disappointed with every beer they had to offer it will take me a while to like them again. Enjoyed them when I first got into the craft beer scene 4 plus years ago but now don't even look for any of their offerings.

28. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

Not to mention beers like The Deuce, Wee Muckle and others are $18/4pk.

29. iguanodon

iguanodon Zealot (80) Massachusetts May 19, 2007

I hear you. I remember when Sam Adams was really craft beer, their Winter Lager was something special and the old stand by Boston Lager had a flowery hop aroma that rocked. I admit my taste has changed since then but I still say Sam Adams hasn't kept their head in the game.

30. iguanodon

iguanodon Zealot (80) Massachusetts May 19, 2007

Epic. I live in Utah now so my choice is unfortunately quite limited. I really wanted Epic to rock but they haven't really lived up to my expectations.

31. Ricelikesbeer

Fair enough. I know they can be pricey, so that makes sense if you really aren't enthused by them. There are 3 or 4 that i'd buy time and again, but there are several that I'd forego as well, but I do like the brewery a lot.

32. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Kind of an answer in reverse...

Rogue.

I would NOT want to be impressed with their stuff as I already gave up on it.

Otherwise....DFH. Never really lived up to the hype for me. Better beers and better prices are available in my neck of the woods.

33. Knee Deep.......They're so close to here I just want them to succeed with something AMAZING!!! You can do it knee deep....

don't think rogue is going for greatness.But I generally have 2 Shakespeare Stouts on hand..Love them.

34. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Shipyard
    Heavy Seas
    Tommyknocker
    Big Sky

35. Makayla face for Yards.... Not impressed yet.

On the flip side, I recently had my opinion positively impacted by Flying Fish Exit 16, VERY big fan.

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  36. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Are you sure you're checking their bottling dates?
    I just picked up a six pack of Maximus and went like this ":oops:" when I tasted it. Turns out it was over a year old.

37. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I know in my case the Lagunitas I had was always pretty fresh. Don't get me wrong, I think Lagunitas is a good brewery and I don't hate anything they make, but I just don't think they are of Elite status. I feel like they get a lot of overzealous praise. However, now that Lagunitas will be starting brewing operations in Chicago this summer, I can't wait to try an ultra fresh batch of Sucks and Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I never knew that the founder was from Arlington Heights, right down the street from me

mecummins likes this.
  38. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I'm still waiting for the Bruery to provide me with a non-drainpour.

39. Founders. Mind you, this is based on a limited sampling of their line -- Bolt Cutter and Dirty Bastard in particular. I don't like oakey, bourbony beers, I'd rather just drink good bourbon or scotch. But I'm pretty sure I'd like their stouts, porters and IPAs.

40. Clown Shoes. I've had one or two that were decent but nothing has really impressed me so far. I've tried around ten different beers from them and most have range from awful to average.