1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery are you still waiting to be impressed by?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FEUO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

I'm impressed by Rogue's canned tuna and their feta cheese.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  2. Green Flash for me. Not blown away by anything I have had by them. Le Freak has been my favorite though.

3. i agree that their stuff is decent enough, but unremarkable. you're better off visiting olde world spirits 100 yards away. they make some amazing rye whiskey!

4. brian4beer

brian4beer Savant (340) Indiana Jan 27, 2013

agree w stone as well

5. Agreed, plus Abita and Flying Dog.

6. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

The Lost Abbey. I like Red Poppy a lot but everything else has been pretty meh.

7. SIXPOINT and DFH. idk why i can't like anything from either of them except a few from DFH 60min, 90min, burton baton. thats about it. and they're all just ok.

8. Abita. Their Christmas Ale tastes like onions. Their Vanilla Doubledog didnt impress me. I want to try their Mardi Gras beer but I've given up.

9. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

..Still waiting to try the standard brews as well as the whales from all of your different breweries..I'm sure they will be much better than all the successful breweries being criticized here. Please send me some bottles

10. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Cicso

11. Unibroue. I've had as couple of their beers and think they suck. I don't get them.

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  12. I agree, Unibroue's beer grosses me out. And the only thing I liked from Southern Tier was Pumking. Dark Horse is another that I just can't get into, their One Oatmeal Stout is putrid, tastes like soy sauce on beef. That being said I'd never write off ANY brewery though, if someone comes out with something that sparks my interest I'll give it a try.

13. I love all of Southern Tier's Blackwater series. I highly recommend Choklat and Oat if you haven't tried them.

That's my take as well on breweries, but after a few I stop seeking them out. I'll probably try more Unibroue beers, and I'd re-try ones I've already had, but I've gotten to the point that I would only do so without buying them for myself.

14. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (185) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

New Belgium. They have some decent beers but I haven't had anything from them that I love.

15. I've had Oat, it was good, forgot that. I've had most of Unibroue's stuff, it all has a very similar taste to me, something about their stuff just has a certain taste that I can't stomach.

16. [​IMG]
    This is awesome. Have you had it?

17. I've had a few of their beers I really disliked. I think the problem is Tomme refers to raisins as his "secret weapon" which means they go in every f'ing beer (or so it seems). Sometimes they work great and other times it tastes like scorched earth.

18. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

Cigar City Brewing ;)

19. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (185) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

No not yet, I'll have to give it a shot.

20. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Which ones?

21. I've tried La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, and Trois Pistoles. I legitimately disliked all 3, especially compared to their Belgian counterparts.

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  22. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Savant (280) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2011

Rogue forsure. Beers always sound awesome, never impress
    Atwater and point.

23. NooseJustice

NooseJustice Savant (475) Indiana Aug 4, 2010

Robert The Bruce really is 3 Floyd's best every day beer. I'm so glad people don't realize that in Indiana because it's the only available 6 pack these days.

Still waiting to be impressed by Sun King. They're bringing home hardware from GABF every year yet nothing's wowed me. The locals sure seem to love them. Flat12 smoke 'em

24. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Miller. I keep trying their beers (left in my fridge by family / friends). I just can't find a good one. I keep trying though.

25. Shipyard, Gritty McDuffs, Otter Creek, Cisco, Redhook.

26. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

Dark horse and goose island.

27. KazzakusPrime

KazzakusPrime Aspirant (40) Jan 15, 2013

Elysian. I have loved their events, but for all of their adventurous brewing, I have yet to be wowed by anything. They're drinkable, sure. Middle of the road, yes. But impressive? I don't think so.

28. I agree Boulevard is a great brewery. I just had the Saison Brett last night. An incredible variation on the style. It almost had a perfume aroma that was stunning. One can say 6th didn't wow me, but 6th is a good variation on the that has all the qualities of a Belgian, yet is very unique. Two high quality marks reached in a beer.

YogiBeer likes this.
  29. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (445) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

I hope it is much better out of the bottle. Off tap at a local bar, it was very one note that did nothing to hide the alcohol. I was really hoping this would be the beer that made me stand up and take notice of a New Belgium beer.

30. Allagash for me.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  31. I'll second this. I liked Terrible the best, but have been underwhelmed by them all.

Honestly, Bell's is another one for me. I haven't had a chance to try too many of their beers yet (Hopslam is coming though), but so far none of what I have had has lived up to the hype. Granted, most of the hype was probably my own doing as anything I do get from them i had to travel to kansas city for.

32. Goose Island.

33. Golden Road. Best offering I had was their Burning Bush IPA. Others are pretty meh.

34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I don't know why I come into these threads, I always end up getting angry reading the posts.

35. wha? so why didnt you open the beer before starting this sweet thread?

36. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Liftbridge
    Mikkeller
    Green Flash

37. I have to say Jack's Abby. I really want to like this brewery. I love what they are trying to do. I love their price point. I love the styles they do. I just have not been happy enough to buy any of their beers more than once. I try every one for sure but they just haven't done it for me. I will keep trying and hoping but for now, this is the one.

38. Lagunitas
    Deschutes
    Dogfish

39. Golden Road. Ptw is a ok IPA that I would drink if there's nothing else good on tap. There's this brown ale that I bought called "getup off that brown" or something like that. After forcing down the first 2 beers, I want to drain pour the last 2 cans. They've been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks now.

40. oskar blues