1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery do you want in TX?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by pushstartnow13, Jan 27, 2013.

1. With all the excitement and anouncements surrounding Founders and Firestone coming to Texas, it makes me wonder what other breweries Texans would like to see in TX. Keep in mind that there are a lot of great breweries but they do not have the capacity to distribute to Texas so lets see if we can keep this realistic. I'll start... Bell's
  2. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

3F
    Azzy likes this.
  3. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I can't wait for Firestone, Founders, and Goose Island!

Alpine
    The Bruery
    Terrapin
    Cigar City
    Surly
    3 Floyds
    Russian River
  4. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Damn, how could I forget Wake n Bake. Yeah, I'll add Terrapin to my list.
  5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Bell's
    jbeezification likes this.
  6. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Bells is pretty much all I want. If I were to be ambitious it'd be cantillon, capt Lawrence and three floyds
  7. I am suprised no one has mentioned O'dell!!
  8. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Aficionado (245) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Hello Hill Farmstead!

Cantillon is a great pick as well.
    kjkinsey likes this.
  9. This ^
  10. frogfan

frogfan Savant (350) Texas Sep 4, 2009

11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Terrapin, Cascade, Cigar City, Three Floyd's, Dieu du Ciel, Cantillion, 3F.
  12. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

yep, add odell, bell's, dc brau, and heavy seas to the list and I'm good.
  13. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Dark Horse, Bells, 3F, Fantome and Cantillon.
  14. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (375) Texas Aug 16, 2012

RR, 3F, Bells, Bruery, Cantillon, Alchemist Heady Topper, Pagosa, Steamworks

Had a couple Odell beers a few years ago and wasn't impressed but I'd give them a go if I saw them.
  15. better shelton bros distribution where we could get 3f, cantillon and fantome
    BeerZack and starkmarvelo like this.
  16. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (140) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Hair of the Dog
    Cascade
    Jolly Pumpkin
    Alesmith

A few more to add to the list. Could keep going, but these are a few with decent distribution already that seem like somewhat reasonable possibilities at some point. The return of Allagash would be nice as well.
  17. Lutter

Most bottleshop owners I've spoken to said that everything but Allagash White just sat and sat and don't seem to think they'll come back.
  18. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Keeping it "realistic" is going to be difficult, but here's my list.

Harviestoun (I want an Ola Dubh horizontal tasting so badly it hurts)
    3 Fonteinen
    Boon
    Cantillon
    Marstons
    Jolly Pumpkin
    Russian River
    Lost Abbey (even just Red Poppy and Angel's Share would be cool)
    Uerige
  19. Cablejelly

That's sad because I'd buy black, four, victor, and a few others anywhere I'd see them but yeah, white was the most popular in this area.
  20. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (645) Texas Jun 29, 2011

Anyone know the deal on why this hasn't made it to Texas? There was a press release a while back about how Boon, Palm, and Rodenbach were going to be available. The beers under the Palm umbrella are here, but no Boon.

Struise. They would probably already be here if it weren't for our lovely laws.
  21. Cablejelly

It's gotta be something TABC related for sure. There's problems getting specific brews from breweries who have already established themselves in Texas. No doubt it's even more of a bitch to come in fresh.
  22. Lutter

Palm stuff (Rodenbach for sure) is still DFW only too, for some reason.
  23. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (195) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Most have been listed, but I'd add Shorts, Crooked Stave, and Fatheads.
  24. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (560) Texas Nov 20, 2011

The breweries I most want to see in San Antonio...

Three Floyds
    Great Lakes
    Cigar City
    Alesmith
    Bells
    Founders
    La Cumbre
    And while we're dreaming.....Alchemist and Hill Farmstead :)
  25. New Glarus and Cascade
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  26. bbadger

bbadger Savant (385) Texas May 20, 2011

I'd be happy if Founders and Firestone Walker came to San Antonio. Although, I have a feeling I'll be making regular trips to Austin.
  27. Lutter

I swear I heard a rumor of Cigar City coming to Houston-only a few years back. Guessing that fizzled. :)
  28. jmdarcy

jmdarcy Aficionado (125) Texas Jul 15, 2010

Bells for sure, I love two hearted. However, if I wrote down every brewery I would like here the list would be huge.
  29. Lutter

My dad was sipping on a Bell's BA Batch 9000 last week in South Florida and called to ask me about it. I wanted to punch him.

I just want Bell's Amber. That's such a tasty brew.
  30. When I was there last summer I took a tour and the tour guide was talking about the expansion of the brewery and plans for expanded distribution. He said north Texas was the area they were most interested in getting into.

I think the reason we get some better distribution in DFW that you don't see in Austin or Houston is the lack of strong local competition. Sure, we have some good breweries open in the past year or so but Franconia and Rahr are not very big players. Not a lot of bars carry either (maybe a Rahr tap here and there) nor do they command a lot of shelf space in the stores. Actually, the only Texas brewery that commands a lot of tap and shelf space is Shiner. Go into a typical grocery store and you'll find very few Texas options. A little Rahr, St. Arnold's, Real Ale and lots of Shiner. Even CM has fairly limited Texas shelf space. Outside of craft beer bars you might find Rahr in Fort Worth and maybe Shiner. Little hometown competition but lots of people drinking beer. It's easier to import your beer here and do no marketing than fight in Austin to put in a beer like Palm where there are how many local Amber beers to compete with?
  31. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

...Stuttgarter HofbraĆ¼.
  32. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

The Bruery, Cascade, Bells, and Jolly Pumpkin seem like no brainers in the coming years.

Really I just want better distribution from existing brands...and I would be happy seeing fresh Stone hoppy beers and more cases of limited things from Deschutes, Avery, DFH, Ballast Point, and Green Flash (to name a few).
    BeerZack and omnigrits like this.
  33. Well I will grant you one wish...Harviestoun will be in Texas soon. It has been submitted to tabc and is waiting label approval!!
    Lutter and lokieman like this.
  34. TexasStout

TexasStout Savant (255) Texas Jun 22, 2007

I was real excited for Allagash to get here, but then disappointed when buying and trying their stuff. The brews had good reviews, but was not that impressed by the flavor, especially with what I thought were exorbitant prices. Many of their brews seemed to have a similar base beer and their offerings did not stand up against other brews in the same categories which were priced less. After feeling burned several times, I quit buying their stuff.
  35. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

RR really, that is all I want
  36. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

50/50, Cantillon, 3F, Cigar City, The Bruery and most of all from my homtown BELL'S!
  37. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

That is indeed good news. I hope Old Engine Oil makes it here as well as some Ola Dubh.
  38. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Correction...

RR and Lost Abbey
  39. Lutter

COMPLETELY badass!!

While we're on the UK: JW Lee's.

I still can't believe Texas doesn't get their Harvest Ale. IE: best. barleywine. ever.
    omnigrits likes this.
  40. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Cigar City and Surly. I'd say FFF, but that won't happen.