What brewery do you want in TX?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by pushstartnow13, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (610) Texas May 30, 2009

Founders would be my most realistic top brewery want in Texas!

(and it may just come true soon!)

2. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (265) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I'm not quite sure what you mean by base beer. Maybe it the distinct yeast you don't enjoy? Allagash is one of those breweries, to me at least, where the yeast brings a very dominant character to the beer. Brooklyn is another and of course Jester King. Anyway, sorry you had such a bad experience with what I would consider one of the better beers available.

3. mattisloco

mattisloco Advocate (500) Texas Feb 13, 2007 Verified

Prairie Ales... I think this one is in the works. I'd rather have them than anything mentioned above to be perfectly honest with you.

4. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (455) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Ill be fine when founders and ST come down, those, other than a local NH brewery thats no longer around are really the only 2 i miss from New England.

5. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (520) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

The bottles I brought to JK's share went quick and I heard many extremely positive reviews but you would take them over Cascade? Russian River? I didn't know you was drinking dis early on a Monday cus you sound CRAZY! ;)

Seriously though I'm very happy to hear the guys at Prairie are as interested in coming here as we are for wanting them. More than anything that's what I want. Breweries that want to be here, want to be part of TX. Hell I want a few TX breweries to look at DFW like they want to be part of it as well (Karbach I'm glaring at you)

6. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (380) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

I live in the Dallas area right now for a few days a week and work and sleep at the brewery the rest. It just seems like a good idea to sell beer where I live. Sending beer for analysis this week. TX label approval after that.

7. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (380) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

Hearing all the Dallas brewers pat themselves on the back is starting to wear me out too. Need to get some beer flowing down here.

8. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (380) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Russian River and Cantillon, but I hear they may be sold exclusively at Gabriel's on 1604 soon.

Also Great Lakes, Fantome, and Surly.

jl28r1 likes this.
  9. mattisloco

Nah not crazy or drinking... cooking actually. I prefer Cascade but they're out of my "regular drinker" price range. Russian River will take an extreme expansion to get into Texas. Neither will make it here any time soon so I didn't even consider them. Throw Cantillon in that mix too.

I seriously could drink Priairie Ale, Hop and Standard on a daily/weekly basis and be very happy. Again I know I'm a little different, I could care less about chasing the "whalez" anymore. I did it for a short time, it was fun but unnecessary for me any longer. Give me a solid quality beer anytime that no one has heard about when I trade. Give me weird, funky, messy and interesting over safe and extreme.

As far as Karbach goes, they'll be here later this year in DFW. But other than Weisse Versa... meh.

10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Bullshit. Really?

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I heard 3 Floyd's is negotiating with them as well, hopefully it'll be there as soon as they rebuild the brewery after that nasty fire.

12. miikezombie

One thing I have learned is beer store employees never stretch the truth.....or lie. Not ever. Not once.

scullycain and lokieman like this.
  13. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (635) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

Don't forget your fans in Austin either! :)

East1stgrocery likes this.
  14. miikezombie

Only if you like beer thats been sitting in a trunk all summer long...

jl28r1 likes this.
  15. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

[​IMG]

16. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (520) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

I heard they will be a Gabriels but only after they pick up the broken Abyss bottles.

17. miikezombie

You threatening me? ;)

18. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Ferrealz.

Lutter likes this.
  19. pwsoldier

Despite what one of my colleagues thinks, Cantillon and RR are probably out of the question for the foreseeable future. Hopefully that will change someday, but not anytime soon.

My top three wants are Bell's, Heavy Seas, and Terrapin. Aside from that, I'd just like to see Karbach, Austin Beerworks, and Deep Ellum expand their distribution throughout the state (but mostly San Antonio :p).

jl28r1 likes this.
  20. mattisloco

No Deep Ellum at all in SA?

21. kmello69

Barely even in Austin. All I've seen is Rye Pils

22. pwsoldier

The Saucer got one keg each of Dreamcrusher and Cherry Chocolate DBS early last year. Haven't seen anything since. I've tried other DEBC beers in Austin at Banger's and Black Star.

23. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

RR is many moons away from Tx distribution if at all. They are having "evening" talk about a possible expansion so, fagetaboutit! No news on the impending ST arrival if at all. Heavy Sea's would be a good addition as well. Maybe we should select the top 3-5 brewery's we would all like to see in Tx and bombard them with emails.

24. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Nothing against you at all brother but all of the above jokes about your "colleague" are based 100% on things that he has said. I really wish that I could support your company but his dishonesty keeps me loyal at other stores in town. :mad:

Just give me a six pack of Live Oak Heff and I'll be happy!!

Grendle and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  25. pwsoldier

Understood. No hard feelings, brah.

jl28r1 likes this.
  26. kmello69

Yeah sorry I should have been more specific - the only thing I've seen from them in Austin in bottles is Rye Pils. I had a chance to try Dreamcrusher and Cherry Chocolate DBS at Black Star last year, and they were both fantastic, so I hope we get to see more from them in bottles down here

27. Jursh

Jursh Zealot (95) Texas Oct 10, 2012

Gonna try to be a little realistic...I'd could see all these happening in the next few years.

Terrapin
    Hoppin' Frog
    Odell
    The Bruery
    Cigar City
    Southern Tier (Heard this was happening in 2013)

28. I agree with wanting to get the top shelf Shelton Bros stuff, really be cool to get Cantillon and Fantome. Also second the request for just getting decent supply of the good shit from the breweries we already get here -- and fresher! I hardly buy Bear Republic and Green Flash due to lack of freshness. Maybe its not a rampant problem, but once or twice is enough to make me shy away when theres so many other choices -- and I love Racer 5 and WC IPA, just hardly buy them anymore.

I'd prefer to see greater distribution of in-state breweries, more shelf space given by retailers and the distros catering to them over being able to buy more out of state brews. I personally think its fun to travel and try things that I can't get here in Texas. All these new small breweries opening up and now they have to compete with a flood of out of staters as well as the established local brewers.

29. pwsoldier

I heard it was happening in 2010.

icetrauma and starkmarvelo like this.
  30. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poobah (1,015) Texas Jun 14, 2012 Verified

Realistic/possible:
    Bell's
    Odell's
    Cigar City
    Lakefront
    Capital

Wish/highly doubtful:
    New Glarus
    Ale Asylum

gtermi likes this.
  31. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (455) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Ive had the ipa and their double brown stout here in austin at Opal Divines Marina location. I think it was texas beer week though.

32. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Savant (285) Texas Dec 13, 2011 Verified

Jolly Pumpkin and Lost Abbey

33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I can't imagine us not having Bell's within the next two years with Founders coming.

Maybe that's just me. :)

34. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

After having my first Numbskull and Speedway Stout recently I would put Alesmith at the top of my list...so damn good. I would have said Firestone Walker before but now that dream is coming true so Alesmith would get my vote...

35. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I find Speedway overrated. It's good, but not the end all be all.

36. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Champion (760) Texas Jun 29, 2011 Verified

Damn that sucks. The Grand Cru rules.

God I would love to have Bells just based on Expedition Stout. I drank a couple and have one aging. The Midwestern Pale is meh and if older than 3 months, not worth drinking. The maybe 2 oz of Hopslam I had at the recent huge Dallas tasting was amazing.

I think that it is awesome that Struise and Cantillon are both aware of Jester King/Ron Extract. Maybe those will happen sometime in the future...

37. TexasStout

TexasStout Savant (315) Texas Jun 22, 2007

Bell's and Alesmith would be two I'd like to see in Texas and that have a chance of actually occurring in the future.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a few top quality breweries start up right here in Texas. Now, if the Texas legislature would just get the TABC out of the way of progress, it might happen.

BeerZack likes this.
  38. Show

Show Aficionado (245) Texas Jul 21, 2011

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

wolffman17 likes this.
  39. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (435) Texas May 24, 2012

40. gtermi

gtermi Champion (805) Texas Apr 21, 2010 Subscriber

I heard we will be getting Odell's pretty soon, but sadly I also heard that New Glarus wants to stay local... Also, I hope to get Bell's here. Would be nice to get some beer from my hometown down here.