1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery haven't you had a bad beer from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

For me, there are a few breweries out there that just seem to make great beers A-Z. I keep trying new beers from these companies and they are at least pretty good but usually amazing. Does anyone else have a similar experience? If so, which ones?
    Geuzedad likes this.
  2. sloany

sloany Aficionado (125) Minnesota Jan 13, 2013

Pound for pound, Lagunitas is my favorite brewery. They can do no wrong in my book. Let's hope the Chicago venture doesn't change that.
    Kelsie, Nofear048, BrettHead and 22 others like this.
  3. seanchai

seanchai Advocate (520) Virginia May 23, 2009

Founders. Victory I would say is at least pretty good and more infrequently amazing.
  4. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Sierra Nevada without a doubt.
    Kelsie, vkv822, superspak and 31 others like this.
  5. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Sierra Nevada
    Founders
    Dark Horse
    Three Floyds

At worst some of their beers have been average. Not a bad one yet but I openly admit to not having every beer these breweries offer.
    Nofear048, TheSack and Danmullens1 like this.
  6. Odell. Breckenridge. Wichita Brewing Company. Upslope. Just to name a few.
    MinorThreat likes this.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Dark Horse? Where should I start with that? I've seen it on the shelves, always forget how to count. Which ones have I had??
  8. Benish

Benish Savant (470) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

I'd have to say New Glarus Brewery. There had been some beers that were not my favorite...only because they weren't my preferences.
  9. For many years, Sam Adams was the beer that continually never let me down...But lately, this has not been the case. I am enjoying the Double Agent IPL, Noble Pils, and the Boston Lager(always good in my book)...But the Summer Ale for which I enjoyed for years doesn't really taste the same.

Lately anything from Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas is really tasting great and I will continue to consume.....
    Nofear048, Geuzedad and inchrisin like this.
  10. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (455) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Definitely Founders. A ton of great beers in their lineup, some very good beers, a few good ones and no bad ones. For my money its the most consistently good lineup out there.
    ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  11. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Founders and Great Divide. SN is the classic craft brewery, but I just havent tried enough of their offerings (only torpedo, SNPA, Bigfoot, and Summer Ale)
    Quafftastic likes this.
  12. I haven't exhaustively tasted either but I've yet to have a bad Allagash or RR.
  13. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Sierra Nevada. Can't stand their Kellerweiss ( don't like banana beer) but everyone else thinks it's good. Yep, Sierra Nevada. World class taste, with world class availability and prices that even I can afford. MY favorite brewery.

Boulevard, out of Kansas City, is another tough one to beat.
    MilkManX, PatriotsRule, JimDH and 5 others like this.
  14. Firestone Walker has never even made a mediocre beer.

edit: their local "805" beer is bad, solace isn't great either.
  15. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (335) New York May 16, 2012

16. Most consistent breweries are FFF and Founders. Both are some of the best breweries in the world. Both however don't have a crazy amount of variety in their lineups. If you want most variety with a high amount of consistency it's Bells.
    douginromeo, Geuzedad and Zimm like this.
  17. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Start with Crooked Tree IPA and Tres Blueberry Stout.
  18. RR definitely and, although they don't have the biggest line-up out there, everything by Anchorage is stellar.
    blindpiggie and Geuzedad like this.
  19. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

IMO it would be Stone and Sierra Nevada. Also props to RR (although I have never had their Frambose for a Cure or Pliney the Younger, but I am pretty sure they re both amazing as well.)
  20. Geuzedad

Ahh I forgot Anchorage but again I have not had the pleasure to drink their entire lineup yet as they just made it into Arizona. But their Galaxy IPA and The Tide and its Takers were both outstanding. Also had their collab with Mikkeller which was just damn good.
    Paccamacca likes this.
  21. Top of my list would be New England Brewing, followed by Sierra Nevada and New Glarus. Never had anything bad from Greenbush either...
  22. Geuzedad

The only problem with New Glarus is the availability. Unless you live there or right next door....oh well......
  23. The Bruery :D:D:D:D:D Made ya look!
    goldieshocks82 likes this.
  24. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (365) Texas Nov 19, 2012

I know some would disagree, but I think everything Stone puts out is amazing and even the ones that don't hit so well are still pretty decent.
  25. Jolly Pumpkin
  26. Stone and Bell's with SN, FW, and Lagunitas as my honorable mention. Totally agree with the prior poster ^ about Stone as they are willing to stretch the boundaries and seldom miss the mark. I am dying to open another Espresso IRS but will probably "settle" for an Oak Smoked Old Guardian tonight since I haven't tried that yet. I could live off of those five breweries and not feel deprived in the least.
  27. Batting 1.000 for me are:
    Heller Trum
    Rochefort
    St. Bernardus
    Ayinger and
    Weihenstephaner
  28. Ones that I have never had a bad beer from, may have had some not to my style but still very well made and tasty.

New Glarus
    Lagunitas
    Ale Asylum
    SN
    Central Waters
    Bells
    New Belgium

Founders would have been on the list but then I drank a All Day IPA also known as bitterness water.
  29. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (630) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

As has been said, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, and Founder's continuously put out great beers that never let me down. I think we might as well throw The Alchemist into the mix too, can't say I've had anything bad from them yet..
    ZachOfAllTrades likes this.
  30. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Hill farmstead
    Lawsons
    Founders
    Russian River
    Cantillon
    In no particular order!
  31. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (900) New York Aug 25, 2010

Great Divide
    Firestone Walker

Founders is a near-miss only because of Frangelic Mountain Brown
    SadMachine likes this.
  32. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (530) California Feb 22, 2012

Alpine
    LambicKing likes this.
  33. You have never had the Dark Horse Sours, have you? Acetone aroma in one (lambeek wants Blood Orange) was so strong it was immediately poured.
    Swik likes this.
  34. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Firestone Walker is my first response, Oskar Blues has yet to dissapoint even though the NC brews do seem to have a bit of a diminished hop profile. And haven't had a bad beer from Alchemist yet haha
    MacQ32 likes this.
  35. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (335) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

Founders. Above all others, unfailingly fantastic beers.... Regardless of style.
    ESeab likes this.
  36. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (335) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

I
    I dug Frangelic. Not at first, but months later... solid brew!
    mpayne5 likes this.
  37. Totally agree
  38. deadliest

deadliest Savant (410) Texas Jun 4, 2009

I haven't had a Boulevard beer I thought was bad yet. Sierra Nevada either.
    Franconia for my local choice that never disappoints.
    Nofear048, guezarka and Pacioli1445 like this.