1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery haven't you had a bad beer from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (735) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Three Floyds is definitely up there...they seem to outdo themselves with each new one I try. Lagunitas and Stone also both consistently keep me on my toes, guessing, and interested.

2. rollom

rollom Advocate (570) New York Jan 22, 2011

Hill farmstead is the only brewery that fits this category for me

Elsinore64 and Psychmusic like this.
  3. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Yeah, y'know, it wasn't bad, but I didn't consider it to be on-par with Founders' other stuff - that said, I do believe in revisiting beers again after time has passed, so my opinion might be different a second time around.

Cheers, dude!

4. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Maine Beer Company
    Bell`s

millionsuns and frankthetank86 like this.
  5. Roguer

Roguer Champion (950) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I wonder how many people said The Alchemist. :)

For me:

-Sierra Nevada
    -Sam Adams (I know all their beer isn't phenomenal, but *I* haven't had one I don't like yet; I haven't tried any of their IPAs or various other brews, however).
    -Stone - I don't love everything they put out (I found both Ruination and their standard IPA to be OK as far as my desired flavor profile), but I wouldn't say anything I've tried by them is "bad." Just because I don't like a particular flavor doesn't mean it isn't a good beer.

And if we're including ALL brewers, not just American craft:

-Spaten
    -Westmalle

6. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Local - Fatheads. Everyone knows the Headhunter, but they brew everything in rotation, and the versions they put out as good or in some cases better than the popular talked about. Outstanding.

US - Lagunitas. Some of my favorites period. Not a clunker have I tried....but have not had censored or the Czech pilsner yet. Sumpin Sumpin Wild CANNOT come soon enough......

Imported - Weihenstephaner. Not even close. They are the definition of beer, everything I have ever had, excellent.

Just made my decision for this evening that much more difficult!

IrishKevin likes this.
  7. ommegang
    lagunitas
    st bernardus- and with them i haven't had one that wasn't epic

8. Lost Abbey and FW

9. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Concur! All that brewery does is turn out great beers that are true to their style. Not too many places with the range of Great Lakes.

5thOhio likes this.

10. Go talk to your local beer guy because Dark Horse just put out a IPA variety pack with Crooked Tree and three other IPAs. I work for a wholesaler and we just got a limited amount in and haven't released it yet so keep your eyes peeled

lucasj82 and dpjosuns like this.
  11. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I'd do this guy if you can...
    [​IMG]

lucasj82 and inchrisin like this.
  12. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Karbach
    Sierra Nevada
    Samuel Smith

... Karbach is 9 for 9 or some such for me. Sierra Nevada is 3 for 3. Samuel Smith is 6 for 6. (i've got a lot more brews to try, but so far those three stand out)

13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Deschutes. The Dissident wasn't bad, although not great, and that's the beer that I've been most disappointed in by them. A pretty good track record, I'd say.

Pacioli1445 likes this.
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

15. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Gotta take Great Divide off the list - just had their Heyday witbier and it was far less enjoyable to me than FMB was from Founders...

My revised "list" will be:
    Firestone Walker
    Weihenstephaner

Too late to include the quote, but draheim ^ is accurate, too - Orval - make one beer, make it perfectly.

16. BRECKENRIDGE?????????

dig the upslope choice.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  17. Founders. Firestone Walker. Jack's Abby.

18. Surprised to not see Surly listed yet. For me, the following breweries have never released a mediocre beer:
    Surly
    FFFs
    Firestone Walker
    As much as I like some of the others, I've definitely had mediocre beers by each.

19. I just picked up their two new offerings yesterday- Darkest Hour and Anadromous- cant wait to try them. If you ever see it, grab a bottle of their saison, 'Love Buzz', that beer will change your life!

Geuzedad likes this.
  20. I could get plenty for trading...

21. stevec32

stevec32 Savant (355) New York Mar 26, 2012

The Alchemist

22. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I'll have to try out Wichita Brewing next time I'm home. Thanks for mentioning them.

23. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Had a friend whose wife is from there. He used to pick it up for me when they went back to visit her parents. Unfortunately and sadly they have passed away so they never go back anymore. Send me a personal message with what you are looking for and I am sure we can work something out!

24. bobbyr5

bobbyr5 Savant (290) Michigan May 17, 2013

Founders.

25. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

Societe & Hill Farmstead

26. doctormo

doctormo Aficionado (200) Minnesota Jun 26, 2003

Surly has been consistent for me. Deschutes, Founders, and Tallgrass have also been good. No bad ones that I have had.

27. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Sierra Nevada seems to be popular

28. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

RR
    Firestone
    Lagunitas

29. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Firestone Walker

30. Founders for sure. Even seasonal offerings that I was iffy about trying still managed to impress me.

31. Stone
    Firestone Walker
    Lagunitas

32. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

New Glarus immediately springs to mind. I even kinda liked their Oktoberfest. I'm sure there are some other breweries where I've yet to have a dud, but I've also probably sampled fewer of their brews. New Glarus makes me wish I lived in Wisconsin. Or maybe the Wisconsinites could stop drinking so much of it so New Glarus could spread the love to some of their Midwestern neighbors.

2011 Devil Dancer would like to have a word with you. But if we could take away that big, oniony black eye then I would totally agree.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  33. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Dark Horse? I find many of their beers to be average at best.

34. 3 Floyds, though I have a bottle of Tiberian Inquisitor waiting on me in the fridge, and I've seen some bad posts about it. I would also say Founders, but their Cerise was really bad. New Glarus has been spot on as well.

A small brewery that Ive had 6 beers from is Ironfire out of Temecula, CA. Their stuff is damn solid. I wanted to head over to the tasting room cuz they had some funky stuff on tap, but they were closed the days I could have swung by. (Owned by a former Ballast Point brewer)

35. Cantillon first
    Also CCB, RR, Haandbryggeriet & De Dolle.

36. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (335) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

Lagunitas. Everything they have is just solid if not excellent. Founders and Stone are also extremely consistent, but some of their specialty beers do not always do it for me.

37. Smuttynose, Samuel Smith and Cigar city all fit the bill. Ive had some beers that I wasn't in love with but never an actual bad beer.

Premo88 likes this.
  38. Lagunitas & Founders are always solid! So far everything I have had from Tree House has been great.

39. I was going to say Alpine, but then I remembered Mandarin Nectar. Therefore, going with Cantillon.

40. Gotta agree with many posters about Founders. I think out of the 10 or so Founders beers I've enjoyed, the only one I'm probably not going to buy again is the standard Pale Ale