1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery haven't you had a bad beer from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Rogue.... Lmao

2. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Came here to say this, only one I dislike is conways but I don't like red ales, or Irish ales so....

3. Petela

Petela Aficionado (165) New Jersey Mar 21, 2013

so far... Firestone Walker hands down

4. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

People saying Sierra Nevada must have not tried Rhizing Bhines.

Premo88 likes this.
  5. Just returned from a trip up to Asheville, N.C. and I tried about 8 brews from Wicked Weed Brewing and I can say with no doubt what so ever that every single one was an Excellent ++ brew. Probably the top of the list was the Freak of Nature IIIPA, which was unbelievably delicious (probably in the top 3 of any II or IIIPA that I've ever had).

6. The Kernel! Perhaps the most inventive brewery in the UK, consistently producing incredible IPA, APA and stout variations...

ilovermont and Liquid_Bread like this.
  7. Deschutes!

8. BeerDunson

BeerDunson Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 20, 2012

Three Floyds!!!

MortalKombat14 likes this.
  9. I've only had 3 of each but Westbrook and Jack's Abby.

10. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Founders, Bells, Alpine for their IPA's.

11. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Troegs. I've tried about 6 of their brews. Everyone was at least VERY good!

12. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

If I haven't had a bad one from a brewery it is only because I haven't had that many of their offerings

13. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Aficionado (195) Arkansas Sep 11, 2008

Prairie Artisan Ales
    Brasserie Dupont
    St. Bernardus
    Bells

BigJim5021 likes this.
  14. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I can say I haven't had a bad beer from a large portion of breweries. Now if the question was about mediocre beer that would really narrow it down. I have never had a mediocre beer from Surly or Founders.

15. Lagunitas for sure.
    I've had most every release from Jack's Abby and I love most of them... at worst I'd say they've made a couple that I enjoyed but probably wouldn't buy again.

16. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Troeg's. Tried 6, liked 6.

17. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Sprecher will always be a no worry buy,completely solid IMHO.cheers

zid likes this.
  18. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

All I have had from New Glarus is their IIPA and it was fantastic. Same goes for Pipeworks and Odell, both have great IIPAs.

19. I'm a little shocked that no one has thrown out Weyerbacher. I also dig Sly Fox. More nationally though I have to agree with Founders, Great Lakes and Stone.

20. I have had about 10 different brands of Hill Farmstead beers; all of those beers have been excellent.

I can't think of another brewery that I can say that about.

Cheers!

21. Haven't had a bad one yet from Troegs, Laguanita's, Anderson Valley and Yards

inchrisin likes this.
  22. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

Founders for me.

23. Easily Lagunitas and Cigar City, I know even if I try one of their beers and its not something that particularly appeals to me it will still be a quality beer that was worth trying. I also have to add Unibroue, they really got me started on Belgian beers and their beers are always consistent and awesome.

24. Founders first, then Bells, Central Waters, and RR. Even great breweries have flops, GF Friendship Brew, Stone Smoked Old Guardian (and 16th Ann), Lagunitas Lucky 13 alt, DFH Hellhound, etc.

25. Alaskan, Ballast Point, Deschutes, Founders, Great Lakes, Lagunitas, Odell, Perennial Artisan Ales, Sierra Nevada, Sixpoint, Southern Tier, Steel Toe, Stone, Surly and Three Floyds, to name a few

26. Victory has never disappointed me and I've had pretty much all of their regular lineup and used to spend some time in the brewpub trying the one offs and specialties.

inchrisin likes this.
  27. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

2nd Shift, the Bruery, Cantillon, Firestone Walker, Green Flash, Haandbryggeriet, Kuhnhenn, Liefmans, Lost Abbey, Russian River, Three Floyds, and Upland.

Mind you, this list doesn't remotely resemble a list of favorite breweries. For example, while I've never had a dud from FW, I also am rarely impressed by them. Founders, by contrast, routinely impresses me. But when you've had 40+ beers from a particular brewery, odds are you are going to have at least one or two duds in the bunch.

28. Nice, hadn't heard of them till you mentioned it. I'll be there in July so I'll go check 'em out!

His_Royal_Hoppiness likes this.
  29. CarsonWK

CarsonWK Aspirant (30) Pennsylvania May 19, 2013

Founders, Bell's, Great Lakes and Troegs.

30. Founders. I've tried a lot of their stuff and the worst thing I could say about any of them was that they were just "pretty good."

31. Add one more vote for Founders and Victory. I've had limited access to Bell, but all I've tried were exceptional. Two of local favorites that seem to skip all the fests are New Glarus and New Belgium and I haven't had a bad bottle or pour between them. I was going to go with five, but almost forgot about my personal favorites that have not been mentioned so far. It's not that I like every one of their products, but it's a matter of personal preference (I have very narrow style requirements), not quality issues at the brewers' end. That's Ommegang and Avery. Even the ones that are at the opposite end of their range are good representatives of the respective styles -- just not the styles I like. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others, but that's the ones I've had the most experience with. Again, the list in short form:
    Avery
    Bell
    Founders
    New Belgium
    New Glarus
    Ommegang
    Victory

PS: I've been drinking Ommegang beers almost since they were founded and I always stock up on New Belgium when in Boulder. My only beef with Avery and Bell is limited distribution, particularly of their best.

32. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I didn't want to list names, but that's one for me too. Amazing stuff and it just gets better when there's a yeti on the label! :) I'm wondering if they have a house yeast or malt that give many of their beers a similar taste.

jtierney89 likes this.
  33. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I haven't really ventured into sours yet so I guess I dodged that bullet.

34. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

There are quite a few for which I think it's fair to say I haven't had a *bad* one.

I can't remember having a bad one from: Deschutes, Alaskan, Westvleteren, Chimay, St. Bernardus, Narke, Lagunitas, De Struise, and Russian River - just off the top of my head.

But many on that list have put out ones that were disappointing and/or mundane.

35. i am a big founders fan but i can honestly say none of their ipas wowed me. the only one i will pick up is double trouble and thats when its available. but their stouts on the other hand are just unbeatable especially the FIS.

never let me down; hill farmstead & maine beer co.

36. Dracarys

Dracarys Savant (325) Alabama May 28, 2013

Founders
    Ommegang
    Great Divide
    Straight to Ale
    Lagunitas
    Sierra Nevada
    Great Lakes

37. Phacoman

Phacoman Savant (265) Pennsylvania Jun 26, 2011

Founders
    Firestone Walker

Never been disappointed in any of their offerings.

38. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Orval.

39. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Oh, you must. Their IPAs are some of the finest I've tasted worldwide.

I'll give some local love and go for Emelisse. The most solid brewery in the entire Benelux area for me. They've yet to show me a single sub-par offering, leave alone really bad.