1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery haven't you had a bad beer from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Gonna have to go with Weihenstephaner. They're all good, real good... And relatively cheap.
  2. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (270) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

3. LeperJim

LeperJim Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 10, 2008

AleSmith ~ What an amazing line up of huge ales.
    Then Founders, Ommegang, Green Flash, Lagunitas come to mind next...
  4. BrewUSA

BrewUSA Aficionado (200) Ohio May 30, 2013

I feel like Founders has the best lineup, only one I find to be average is the DH Pale Ale

Great Lakes is a close second (none of there beers are mind blowing, yet all very good and consistent

I do however admire that brewerys such as Stone, Dogfish, and 3F's will experiment, some are misses though.

Then you have breweries like Bells who pumps out a lot of different styles, which makes it hard to have them all good.
  5. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I haven't ... and now I'm not going to. Don't want to ruin SN's perfect record for me.

... and I left off Stone. So far so good on the big hoppy side for me; just 3 for 3, but i've got an imperial russian stout bomber in the fridge waiting for tonight's Tony Stewart celebration when I get off work, and Stone surely will improve to 4 for 4 for me.
  6. Uinta Brewing Co. Never had a bad beer from them ever
  7. COAST, Smuttynose, Founders, Sierra Nevada, Victory, Stone and Ballast Point come to mind immediatly
  8. I would like to say 3 Floyds but A couple have underwhelmed me. Their Zeszeszes saison and their Oktoberfest were not good IMHO. However I have tried about 25 3floyds beers so their doing very well in my book.
  9. I've had some issues with Dogfish and others at festivals and similar events, but the key is what goes in the bottle/keg. Experimentation is fine and sometimes you get crap, but if you bottle and sell that crap, don't blame experimentation. The fact that they sell stuff that's underwhelming and harming the brand means that someone at the brewery likes it enough to hope that it will sell. Some sell on the promise that's in question in this thread. Once bitten, some drinkers may become more careful the next time.

That gets into the second issue. Lots of different styles is not a bad thing. They are going for a wider audience/drinkership. The question that I tried to address is "Do they make each style well?" If they do, it's hard to hold it against them just because you don't like a particular style. Victory makes Pils. I went through a Pilsener phase (most of it in college), but have long moved on. Yet, I tried it and I liked it. In fact, it's a bit of a cross-over, considering the hoppiness, taking it half-way to IPL. It's good IMO but not something I would choose to drink, given other options. But that does not mean that it detracts from the lineup.
  10. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Tallgrass and Founders
  11. douginromeo

douginromeo Savant (315) Michigan Apr 1, 2013

What he said about Founder's and Bell's!
  12. Hill Farmstead
    Kane
    Firestone Walker
    Stone
    Founders (edit. Frangelic Mt. Brown ALMOST made them miss the list, but it wasn't BAD, just not excellent)
    Six Point...

Probably more, but those jump right out at me.
  13. Ommegang, Founders, Sierra Nevada, Clown Shoes, in no particular order...
  14. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Farm Hillstead. Or is it Hill Farmstead, or some such. Little outfit out of Vermont.

Anyone ever hear of them?
  15. White Birch of New Hampshire. Also I have been impressed with Candia Road Brewing, also of New Hampshire.
  16. mitch3114

mitch3114 Savant (300) New York Feb 20, 2012

I would have said Sierra Nevada until yesterday and I tried their summerfest... it tasted like a Heineken. I was up at a friends camp doing work all weekend and wanted something light and refreshing and that was not at all what I got...to be fair, I just may not like the style (Czech Pilsner)
  17. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

Firestone Walker
    Russian River
    Founders
    Weihenstephaner
    Jester King
    Rochefort
    Green Flash
    Cigar City
  18. iCabaLLero

iCabaLLero Aficionado (165) Georgia Mar 26, 2013

Ha ha A wise man once said every brewery makes at least one bad beer,

Maybe I haven't had enough beer, but I would say harpoon is an all around great brewery and I love there stuff.
    I would say dogfish but then I had there Sah tea
  19. BrainFreez

BrainFreez Aspirant (25) Delaware Jan 1, 2013

Sierra Nevada tops the list - then Brooklyn Brewery
  20. sethmc01

sethmc01 Zealot (75) Wisconsin Apr 29, 2013

Founders, without a doubt.
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  21. jwps214

jwps214 Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2010

Jack's Abby is my new favorite brewery! Never had an Allagash I didn't like.... Peak Organic always surprises me, but I guess it shouldn't at this point. Oscar Blues with the exception of the pilsner.... It's ok but it always seems to be out of code in MA.
  22. BrainFreez

BrainFreez Aspirant (25) Delaware Jan 1, 2013

Sierra Nevada by far, and then Brooklyn Brewery.
  23. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

de Garde, best new Oregon brewery. Just nailing everything he does, from the delicious 2.1% session berlinerweisse, Bu Weisse to the 11.7% wild belgian strong dark ale, Loak and everything in between.
    The microflora in Tilamook are doing all kinds of great things to the recipes de Garde has concocted.
  24. tweezer159

tweezer159 Savant (290) Alabama May 2, 2008

From the Deep South:

Straight to Ale

Their entire lineup is golden to me, with the exception of Lily Flagg Milk Stout only being okay, but definitely not bad. Look for Straight to Ale to become a hot commodity soon.
    Dracarys likes this.
  25. Fargrow

Fargrow Savant (445) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

New Glarus and New Belgium.
    Purp1eOne and VictorWisc like this.
  26. Boneyard
    digita7693 likes this.
  27. Ballast Point never sises to amaze! They produce tasty, flavor beers that are not harsh or hard to drink! Simply awesome brewery! A+
  28. I had the same problem with that beer!
  29. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I haven't had a bad brew from Founders and I've had a lot of their brews.
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  30. Heller Trum.
    Mahrs.
    Le Cumbra (only tried 3, which were very good)
    Trumer :)
  31. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Advocate (580) Illinois Oct 23, 2010

Founders, this brewery hardly does anything wrong that I have drank so far. Even the Every Day IPA is a very good beer. My fridge will always have a Founder in it.
  32. spedprof

spedprof Savant (300) West Virginia Dec 13, 2011

Sierra Nevada
    Founders
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  33. Kane
    New England Brewing Co.
    Founders
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  34. That pale ale from Founders really prevents me from agreeing with everyone. A poor beer IMO.

There are really too many breweries for me to list...I could at least start with all the trappist breweries (except for Engelszell only because I haven't tried it yet)

The thing is, I can easily think of breweries that qualify here because they make dependable beer of consistent quality across the board, but that doesn't mean they're constantly wowing me either.
  35. Hill Farmstead. I've had about 20 beers from them and none bad. Cantillon, go figure. Just the ones that pop into my head right away.
  36. apants007

apants007 Zealot (90) New York May 31, 2013

ommegang
    stone
    franziskaner
    geary
    st peters

there are a few I like everything but the signature beer...
    victory(don't care for the pilz but love the rest)
    sierra nevada (the pale ale isn't my bag but the rest are great)
  37. Crymopipe494

Crymopipe494 Disciple (70) Ohio Nov 12, 2012

I agree on the Summer Ale
  38. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I would say Great Divide, but I hate their 19th Anniversary Ale this past weekend at Magic City Brewfest and it just wasn't good at all.
  39. Firestone Walker
    Founders
    Sierra Nevada
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  40. Jacks Abby, Sierra Nevada, harpoon, lost abbey, Allagash, and pretty things. And duvel. And ommegang! Also sixpoint