1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What brewery haven't you had a bad beer from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jewmagic151

Jewmagic151 Aficionado (115) Kansas May 31, 2013

Great Lakes!! By far their sesonals are great and they just don't do anything bad!
    inchrisin likes this.
  2. scm2787

scm2787 Aficionado (190) Texas Oct 4, 2011

North country brewing company
  3. Copper Creek Brewing Co, Athens Georgia.
  4. Stone
    Lagunitas
  5. PerHops

PerHops Savant (340) California Apr 5, 2011

Surly and Russian River for me
  6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Lagunitas
    Avery
    Sn
    Oskar Blues
  7. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

Three Floyd's, Sam smiths, Cigar City, and Troegs all have killer lineups. Founders and bells have one or two I didn't like
  8. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

Maine Beer Co., Hill Farmstead, Lawson's and Jack's Abbey
  9. Great Lakes
    Lagunitas
  10. Aside from Sierra Nevada, which immediately jumped to mind, I would add Jack's Abby and Pretty Things.
  11. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Only considering breweries I've had multiple beers from...

Cantillon
    Russian River
    Heller-Trum (Schlenkerla)
    Weihenstephan
    New Glarus
    Sierra Nevada

Tempted to put Kuhnhenn on the list, too, if it weren't for Simcoe Silly. Even with that, considering how many beers I've had from them, they are probably deserving.
  12. dsmil

dsmil Aficionado (110) Maryland Oct 31, 2009

Sierra Nevada, Founders, and Sam Adams are the only breweries where I've had 5+ beers and none were bad. A lot of the Sam Adams' beers were pretty average but not bad.
    Purp1eOne and MilkManX like this.
  13. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (265) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

Founders for sure
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  14. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Odell
    Oskar Blues
  15. Russian River,Hill Farmstead,Sierra Nevada,Allagash
  16. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Surly, Russian River, Hill Farmstead, Upright, 3F, Founders
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  17. MattXT

MattXT Advocate (630) Massachusetts Nov 23, 2010

Founders
    Hill Farmstead
    Firestone Walker
    Surly

If they've made a bad one, I haven't had it yet.
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  18. Heller-Trum and Mystic are the only ones I can think of
  19. No one who has tried Celia Saisson can say Alchemist with a straight face, no matter how good Heady is to them.
    PacktLikeFishees likes this.
  20. New Glarus
    Three Floyds
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  21. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

A lot of German breweries fit into this grouping, although many of them only have 3-5 offerings anyway.
    For American breweries, I'd probably go with Russian River, Dry Dock (discounting firkins not meant to be "good"), Three Floyds, New Glarus, and Great Divide...although their 19th Anniversary is walking a fine line...
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  22. I have, but unfortunately have never tried any of their brews. My aunt's boyfriend's favorite beer of all time is their Ann.
  23. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (200) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

Revolution
  24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (315) California Mar 19, 2012

Sierra Nevada and Stone. BallastPoint would be on the list, but I have only tried three of their beers (Sulpin, Victory at Sea, and Serpent).
  25. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

For me I would say,
    Great Lakes Brewing Company
    Unibroue
    Founders
    Cigar City
    May not all have been great beers, but nothing has been bad per say that have disappointed.
    Purp1eOne likes this.
  26. CIGAR CITY BREWING
    Eastside151 likes this.
  27. kodt

kodt Savant (475) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

I think any brewery where I have had 10+ of their beers, there is at least one I did not care for.
  28. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Sierra Nevada. No one else comes close to the constant quality and low prices of good beer. Less is more sometimes.(I love you Sam Adams but calm down with all the crazy wits..)
  29. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Three Floyds, Boulevard, and Pipeworks all make consistently excellent beers. I am especially impressed with Pipeworks and their ability to churn out winner after winner. Haven't had a beer from any of these breweries that I didn't like
  30. pinnser

pinnser Savant (270) Colorado Nov 2, 2012

Cigar City and Great Divide. Lucky enough to have lived in FL for a bit, and even luckier to be in Denver now. Cheers!
  31. This. I honestly think every brewery has a miss or two. I love Stone, Jack's Abbey, and Slumbrew (to name a few offhand) but I have not liked some of their beers. Still would blindly try anything from them though. There's something to be said for creativity and taking chances as well. While I've never been let down by Maine Beer Co., I've also only had 2 of their beers so its not really fair to make any sweeping claims about their brewing prowess just yet.
  32. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

I'd probly say Sierra Nevada..even their reg. Stout & Porter's are pretty good, but not really what they are "known" for (in comparison to some of the more "flagship" beers they have).
  33. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Deschutes for me. And Toppling Goliath.

I would have easily said New Glarus before Thumbprint Winter Warmer, so I guess they are really close with a ton of positives and only one strike. Surly was eliminated for me by Hell, which I think is terrible.
  34. gfiumara

gfiumara Aficionado (110) Maryland Nov 11, 2007

Widmer Bros
    Ommegang
    Schlafly

For Widmer and Schlafly, I can always safely pick up a seasonal/special release 6-pack and never be let down.
  35. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I don't have the time to catch up on 6 pages, but Ommegang for me. I haven't had them all, but all that I've had were excellent. I love me some Hennepin.

This. I love everything else from Founders, but can't stand the All Day IPA (Centennial is great).
  36. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Lagunitas!!

Well I wasn't impressed with the first beer which was their Cappuccino Stout but I was new to craft-beer then so I need to revisit that one!!
  37. mfl620ks

mfl620ks Savant (265) Minnesota Mar 15, 2010

Surly
    Great Lakes
    Stone
  38. Unibroue
    Lagunitas
    Charlevoix
  39. Can't agree with Coast, but Westbrook in Mt Pleasant SC rates very well for me. Their IPA tastes more west coast than east coast to me.