1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What changes would you like to see in bars?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ernest_Hooper, Mar 10, 2014.

1. This has been on my mind for a while now but really hit home the other night while drinking a local brown ale and Founders Porter at ice cold temperatures in a couple local drinking establishments. Around here it has become fortunate that we can walk into most any random bar and find a good selection of taps. However, it would be really nice if bars could work out at least a semi-reasonable temperature that caters to a particular beer style.

Now I understand the why in this situation.

a) Most people, owners and consumers alike, assume a beer should be cold, very cold.

b) The most popular selling beers are Bud, Miller and Coors Light which are only somewhat drinkable if they are nearly freezing. This has also undoubtedly had a contribution on point A.

But still, temperature variation would be a more than welcome change around here. It doesn't have to be warm beer, just mildly drinkable and style appropriate. At the very least it shouldn't be about to tip into frozen.

So that's my comment. What would the rest of you like to see change in your local bars?

...Oh and proper drinking glasses would be the tits. In Belgium, with their hundreds upon hundreds of beers available, it would still be ridiculous to serve a beer in a glass other than it's own brewery's. That would be great but pretty unrealistic.
  2. Most of the beer is being kept in one cooler, so you can't really control the temperature of each individual beer. Since different styles are best at certain temps, it's easier to just set it fairly low. If it's too cold when you get it, allow it to warm up a bit.
  3. willth

willth Aficionado (235) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

How about no kids allowed ever.... I was at founders a few days ago and there were kids all over the place.
  4. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Savant (290) Oklahoma Aug 10, 2013

So you're basically wanting every bar to throw a huge amount of cash into installing 2-3 more cooling rooms so that each style of beer can be kept at the right temperature, and throw a few thousand more at buying every conceivable style of glassware just so they can pour a beer into its "correct" glassware style? Keep preaching from your pulpit and I'll be standing in the crowd with all the bar owners laughing at you, because you seem to know their business model better than they do. If you want to drink out of the correct glass and at your supposedly correct temperature all the time buy a set of glassware for your own home and drink there. Or you could do what everyone else does at the bar and let the beers warm for 10-20 minutes after it's poured if you think it's too cold.
  5. You make a solid point, but I did acknowledge that changes would have to be in order. I know a bar near to here that serves each beer at different temperatures. I might pay them a visit in a bit and ask the owner how it all operates.

The obligatory hostile amateur-economist post. Glad to have that out of the way.
  6. Please get back to us about this because I am curious. I could see 2 maybe 3 different temps but even that is nearly unheard of in the industry.
    Roxie_B, Hop-Droppen-Roll and HRamz3 like this.
  7. Good beer at fair prices.
    Updated beer lists with size and pricing.
    Roxie_B, pitweasel, azorie and 9 others like this.
  8. Jirin

Jirin Savant (310) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

Portion size choices for appetizers. Most bars have obscenely big nacho plates that are impossible to touch and still hope to lose weight without a minimum six people picking from it.

Fewer cheaters at trivia.

Beer related changes? Better descriptions of beers on the menu.
    Roxie_B, Kerrie and JG-90 like this.
  9. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Turn the god damn music down. If I have to yell to order a drink, you're wrong.
  10. prock180

prock180 Savant (320) Arizona Mar 9, 2013

Less crap and more craft!
  11. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

I would agree...kids not allowed in taverns/bars. Not appropriate nor pleasant!
  12. joelwlcx

If you want to loose weight, don't order nachos. If you're worried about portion size, don't go out to eat. Save going out for maybe a few times a month, and all this becomes a non-issue. YMMV, however.
    TheGator321 and prock180 like this.
  13. You gotta just get over that one man, what do you want the people who have kids do? Just stay home so all the bachelor's get to enjoy craft beer? Or maybe we should go to the part of the dinning room that says "parents with kids only". And we only get to enjoy "crafty" beers like shock top. Now if your kids are out of control then that's one thing, but if you have descent kids who sit there and don't bother anyone then you just have to deal with it. I've gone to Harpoon with my kids plenty of times and they have been fine. When they are acting up I take them outside until they're better.

Now for what bars really need to change is serving beer in chilled glasses. I was served a Backwoods Bastard the other day in a chilled glass and almost rejected it. I didn't because a bartender's job is hard enough without me crying about a "too cold" beer but I do wish that would just cu t that nonsense out.
  14. Maybe throw out the frosted glasses (except for BMC) and turn off the TVs (except "sports" bars). It surely is possible to have reefers at a couple of different temps to better serve the beer.
  15. Now if your kids are out of control then that's one thing, but if you have descent kids who sit there and don't bother anyone then you just have to deal with it. I've gone to Harpoon with my kids plenty of times and they have been fine. When they are acting up I take them outside until they're better.

I agree - if your kids act like humans rather than animals, as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome. We didn't take the kid into public until he knew how to act.
  16. sbuysse

sbuysse Aficionado (160) Arizona Sep 30, 2005

The Draft Techs in my area say beer begins to foam quite a bit above 37 degrees. Foam=Waste. With many Belgian beers running $35/Gallon you can imaging the money wasted in serving beer at warmer temps. Waste is bad business even on less expensive beer. Maybe CO2 can be adjusted?
  17. Ve
    Very true, we didn't bring our daughter anywhere until she could reason.
    Blueribbon666, djl9701 and Ozzylizard like this.

18. Also kegs get a better yield percentage when kept at a certain temp. It's colder than most craft beer lovers want their beer, but saves the bars money.
    MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  19. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Amend my comment above: Well-behaved kids welcome. Obnoxious kids (and adults) stay home!!
  20. If you have a draft list posted online, update it. I really don't think this is much to ask.
  21. I don't want loose weight, I want a muscular toned physique.
    beerme411, Treezilla and JMS1512 like this.
  22. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

Oh, come on - give the guy a break. He has a valid post and he's certainly not "preaching". My local, with only 16 craft taps, makes a real effort to serve different styles of beer in an appropriate glass. Many are served in the standard shaker pint, but they have proper pilsner, kolsch, and hefeweissen glasses, along with several goblets and tulip glasses for beers that should be served with them. It wasn't any effort for them and it shows the pride they have in their bar. All the OP is saying is that many bars that have a good selection of craft could do the same, rather than serving everything in shaker pints.

I think the only one preaching here is you. ;)
  23. Tut

I like my reefers at a burning temperature to better enjoy the beer.
  24. Mouserat

Mouserat Zealot (80) California Dec 12, 2013

This unfortunately this is the case any warmer and you waste 30% of the keg w/ foam.
    HRamz3 likes this.
  25. joelwlcx

Fine... Lose bodyfat
  26. Tut

I agree on taverns/bars. Breweries and large brewpubs that have restaurants are ok for kids, though.
    rollom and nolanz14 like this.
  27. I may have overestimated their capabilities. It might only be several different temperatures. Also we are talking about one of the top beer bars in the state so it's not going to be your run of the mill watering hole. I couldn't go there tonight but will definitely get back with what I find out when I get the chance.
  28. Thank you. Even 'several' is unusual as they would most likely need separate coolers. Would be interested in how they have it set up. Cheers.
  29. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Oh man. I love thinking about this:

It would be awesome if craft beer bars felt more like coffee shops (sans everyone on their laptops): couches, comfy chairs, low end tables, fireplaces, book shelves, and board / card games. Music is fine, just please turn it down.

Do a build your own flight, as many beers in the flight as you want, all taps open to be put in a flight. Different drink size options for all taps, the bar could offer 10 ounce, 16 ounce, 20 ounce pours on all taps. Obviously, don't allow larger pours if you have something special on tap you want more people to try.

Appropriate glassware for "full" pours of a beer. Clean glassware that is NOT frosted, unless you have Schlitz, High Life, PBR on tap, then FROST THOSE MUGS! Always, ALWAYS have cask beers. Happy hour beer specials. Updated tap and bottles list with style noted and, for bonus points, throw the ratebeer or beeradvocate score on the menu as well. PLEASE also post this list online as well!!!

Growler and half growler fills and sales, tap takeovers and beer special events. And finally, SHUFFLEBOARD!

This is the perfect craft bar in my opinion, but hey, what do I know?
  30. Besides free beer?

Up to date draft menu with price, serving size, and ABV. Lots do this fortunately, but some aren't as great. Paper menus are a plus but I can deal with a chalk board as long as it has all the info.
  31. Jirin

Jirin Savant (310) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

My social life involves hanging out with my buddies at bars, I never go to restaurants alone. (Or when I do need to eat out alone it's usually a mall food court). I tend to eat dinner before going and just order beer to save money, but I'd also like to be able to order a medium sized snack I can pick at rather than only having huge ones to choose from. I don't think this is unreasonable.
  32. Just let me know when I sit down that you're out of something on the list or take it off the list. I was just in VT and saw HF Susan on the list and was very excited and pissed when they told me it was out... had to settle for a Fiddlehead IPA.
  33. joelwlcx

That sounds like a personal problem. Learn how to cook for your liking. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just saying, if you're worried about eating too much, the restraunt is not one bit to blame.
  34. This is genius! I mean they have Hookah Lounges, why not Craft Beer Lounges?
  35. For me, its all about the Tap Turnover. We have a pizza place near us that has a great tap turn over. They only have 15ish taps but always 1-2 are new every week or so. They do a great job of keeping things interesting with craft brews being at least 3/4 of these taps.
    Kerrie and Ernest_Hooper like this.
  36. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

1. Proper glassware. No I do not want a frosted mug or a frosted shaker pint.

2. Proper serving size. No I should not have the option of 25 ounces of KBS.

3. Educated staff.

4. Don't have "Alehouse" in your name and only have 10 taps but 150 year round bottles. I can drink bottles of Two Hearted or Arrogant Bastard at home.

5. Turn the music down.
  37. Something other than sports on the TV.
    Kerrie, RusImpStoLuv and charlzm like this.
  38. Well what's the alternative? Sports provide for easy background viewing that no one's really going to complain about. News/movies/television shows all invite too many opinions and complaints to juggle.