1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What changes would you like to see in bars?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ernest_Hooper, Mar 10, 2014.

1. No live music unless it's acoustic. Seriously, it's a 2,000 sq/ft place, not wembly stadium. You shouldn't even need an amplifier.

2. And for god's sake, turn on closed captioning if you're going to run something other than sports. Having the news or any other dialogue driven program on with no sound and no CC is mostly pointless.

3. While I agree with the "no kids" rule in bars/tavens, can't say the same for breweries. I don't have kids now, but when I do in the future, I'd like to be able to go to a brewery if that's my prerogative for my day off.

Brenden likes this.
  4. Not to beat a dead horse but prices and music at a level to where I'm not screaming my order or at the people I'm with and I'm a happy camper. Oh and updated tap handles. The disappointment of ordering a BCBS having the bartender tell me it's the "dark one" and gladly agreeing only for the tap to be a random IPA that was switched in after Bourbon County kicked.

5. tfs8271

tfs8271 Aficionado (225) California Mar 14, 2007

More pinball.

And I'll crush anyone of you.

6. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Free Beer would be nice.

swolepeer and SirBottlecap like this.
  7. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Savant (250) Nevada Jan 26, 2011

I feel like the perfect compromise is to stop serving beers in frozen mugs/glasses.

8. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Nope. This doesn't work. How many times have you heard someone say that their dog is well-behaved. They all think they are well behaved.

You make the choice to have kids, you make the choice to live in the spaces that they are welcome. You don't have to stay home, just don't go to adult themed beer-centric places where folks are focusing on their passion and don't want to be bothered with your progeny. I'm sure you think they are decent, but your interpretation of decent is pretty damn skewed right now. Don't fool yourself.
    You can drink whatever you like, wherever you can get it, as long as it is in the family dining area.

9. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Savant (310) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2014

I totally agree with this one. And it's usually the ones that are off the list that I want to drink.

swolepeer, charlzm and Providence like this.
  10. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

I train dogs for a living...THEY'RE generally more trainable...;)

swolepeer, Potatocrawler and djl9701 like this.
  11. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

You folks complaining about beer served too cold? Put it under your tits for a bit. You can warm a cold beer, and the changes can be enlightening.

How about NO TVs. None.

And crokinole.

12. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

The Warriors, They Live, and other genre classics. Like what Three Floyd's had playing the time I visited!

13. Works for some breweries but not others. Also, I'd say there's different rules in that regard for breweries (like Three Floyd's) v. bars.

14. Or get a sitter to watch them.

15. tap lines at different temps. Quite a buzzkill getting a porter and Coors Light temp.

16. British pubs
    * Pints for under £2.
    * Barley wine. Never seen it in a pub.
    * Less depressing cask ales (Marston's ffs!).
    * More quality cider.
    * More interesting foreign imported bottles with correct glassware.
    * No TVs or loud music.
    * No hen dos.

vurt, ImperatorScab, Tut and 2 others like this.
  17. Give me captioned discovery channel of history channel. A chunk of the time when I go to the bar I stop in for maybe 1 or 2 to relax after work. Not looking to socialize necessarily. Wouldn't mind watching something different. Even the news would work. But I'm in the minority being a young man who isn't into traditional sports one bit!

charlzm likes this.
  18. Bars offer taxi's home after Beer/Bottle share events

admobeer34 likes this.
  19. Kanger

Kanger Savant (380) New York Sep 3, 2013

Less BMC dominance. No TVs at all. A bar should be a social experience. You can watch TV at home. (Sports bars are the exception of course)

20. kraddel

kraddel Aficionado (140) Belgium Jul 20, 2012

I'm a bartender in Belgium , and would like to react on the idea of every beer its own temperature .
    It WOULD be great to have em like that . I see some problems though .

First of all , desired temperature is different to everyone . Over here, beergeeks are only a small part of beerdrinkers . Most other beerdrinkers like their beer cold . whatever beer it is . You can explain as much as you wont , they will not change their opinion and go mental if their beer is not cold .

therefor, you'd need to put all beer at several temperatures , and ask how they want it . This means larger stock , and big investments ( extra fridges , way more stock since all needs to be cold )

This would result in less space in the bar , so less incoming money . Beers will go bad easely , since the stock is to big for what you need , but you cannot put 1 bottle cold at each temperature, what if they'd drink 2 ??

Also , more fridges might mean more distance to get the beers . Thus, you might need extra people .
    This all would result at skyrocking prices , to be able to affort this option .

Personally, I'd rather drink a bit too cold / too hot beer for 3 € , than the exact temperature for 6 € ( for the same brand of beer )

Seems like a great idea, just don't know if its really possible ( In Belgium )

21. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

This. Bars are for adults. I'm not curbing my behaviour just because somebody dragged their kid into an adult establishment. I'll let you explain to little Suzy what a "c*cksucker" means....

22. absyrd1

absyrd1 Disciple (65) New Jersey Feb 1, 2011

I like your thought process, especially that first paragraph....oh and the shuffleboard for sure.

charlzm likes this.
  23. absyrd1

absyrd1 Disciple (65) New Jersey Feb 1, 2011

Agree, plus it can be on mute or very low volume and everyone still knows what's going on.

24. You may be the only person to ever have said this;)

25. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (370) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

Yep, there always seems to be one in every thread . . . This drives me crazy ! Just talk beer without having to know more than everybody else please and thank you.

26. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (370) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

I like this too. The place I frequent is pretty quiet with an awesome draught list. Sometimes they have music but what I really enjoy most other than the beer is a quiet setting. Does anybody else ever want to just clear their heads over a brew without a bunch of noise ?

Pug likes this.
  27. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You know glassware costs next to nothing right?

Source: Working here http://beercornerusa.com/

DemoniChris and ImperatorScab like this.
  28. hombrepalo

hombrepalo Savant (265) Illinois Mar 27, 2008

1. updated beer menus online.
    2. choice of serving sizes
    3. proper glasswear
    4. more cask
    5. randalls
    6. one offs or rare beers

ImperatorScab likes this.
  29. I've always it should be mandatory by law for bars to have breathalyzers in house and available for use. I know of maybe two that already do this but like I said, I think it should be mandatory. For me it's mostly a non-issue. I've never had a DUI and I don't go out to get loaded anymore. I also live within walking distance of several bars if I want to go out and not worry about it.

However, it has always seemed ridiculous that a simple tool is made available to law enforcement but not easily available to pedestrians. If there is no public transportation available besides calling for a taxi than it seems almost criminal. And those who claim that they can tell what their BAC is at any time they are more than likely just fooling themselves.

Yes personal responsibility is important and yes there are always (or at least usually) alternatives to driving yourself. Yet all and all it boils down to there being a readily available tool that could be easily mandated to be discretely placed in a drinking establishment, which would cut down on drinking over the limit of intoxication.

It seems to be instead that alcohol related driving offenses are padding the pockets of police departments and governments who thus have an averse interest in making it easier for the pedestrian to have access to the same information that they do.

Tl;dr:

*Yes you can have a designated driver,
    *Yes you can call a taxi if other public transportation is not available,
    *And yes you should always attempt to keep as aware as possible of your condition,

But that still doesn't mean that having mandatory breathalyzers in bars would be easy, inexpensive, effective and fair.

30. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Accurate breathalyzers are not cheap.

Those little hand-held DIY one's are VERY inaccurate.

jefffalcone likes this.
  31. Jho3325

Jho3325 Savant (275) Indiana Nov 19, 2013

This idea is great in concept, but every bar I have seen with a breathalyzer turns into a contest to see who can get the drunkest ...

32. nolanz14

nolanz14 Savant (250) Massachusetts Aug 31, 2009

Proper glassware
    Pour size
    Rotating draft lines
    High prices on good beers

33. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I'm willing to bet that the glassware thing has as much to do with shrinkage as anything. And no, not Costanza "I was in the pool!" shrinkage, I'm talking about people stealing glasses. I've had a couple different bar owners tell me that just about any kind of branded specialty glassware is likely to get stolen. If it was a one-time layout to get a bunch of specialty glassware, I think bars would be more into it, but it seems that shaker pints are about the only branded glassware people will leave alone. So unless the glassware is free (which it sometimes is - one of the nice side-effects of Goose Island being bought by AB-I is that bars get free Goose Island swag including glasses), I don't think bars are going to put out the cash for brewery-specific glassware.

This doesn't excuse a bar for not having tulips and goblets for various styles, but expecting branding is a bridge too far.

HRamz3 likes this.
  34. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (385) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

Rotating draft lines which leads to updating menus which should also include cleaning of the draft lines more often! If places could do all 3 more often that would be awesome. Without good beer you don't really have much.

35. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

It's a great idea, until the lawyers see it. Then it becomes a liability. The obvious "contest" is just one angle. The person who blows a "safe" level and then drives and kills someone, bar gets sued. Gotta love the legal profession.

36. stop using that nasty used-to-be white rag to wipe up the bar. gross.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    jmw likes this.
  37. I can't believe this is the only post (I think) about pour size! If it is listed as a pint, POUR 16 OUNCES OF BEER, NOT 12 OUNCES OF BEER AND 4 OUNCES OF HEAD! That is all.

Tut likes this.
  38. rollom

rollom Advocate (560) New York Jan 22, 2011

10 great beers across 10 styles at any one time, rather than 150 beers on tap that includes 15 mediocre IPAs

39. All I want to see are bars keeping their beer/tap/bottle lists updated. It's SO annoying when you walk into a place, and they don't have 3 of the 4 beers you want. Apps like TapHunter are great, but so many places neglect to update it. It's really frustrating.

40. as a bar tender in a pretty chill craft tasting lounge (just 6 constantly rotating taps), i don't blast music, there's no way for me to adjust the temps with out purchasing 6 different coolers for each of our 6 tap handles.

i really dislike the atmosphere that children cause in a drinking establishment, i dont mind people with kids i just cant stand when they get pissed about the subjects my patrons talk about at the bar while their kids are around, just because you brought your children into a drinking establishment designed for adults does not mean everyone needs to curb their language/subject matter now that your kids are around.
    i've seen a ton of potential paying customers walk out before ordering anything when they see kids hanging out in the bar.

also we have one tv, during the day its usually on Maury or some other ridiculous talk show and everyone gets a good laugh out of it, if an important game is on then that's what will be playing, anytime i can get surfing, skateboarding, or bmx/MTB on, then its going on above all else. mostly because i'm at work and would prefer to be out doing any of those things, plus we're on the beach so surfing trumps all.

we carry 6oz flutes, 16oz tulips, and pint glasses, they are $12 for a case of 12 they aren't that expensive i don't know why more bars cant do this, I RARELY have wheats or pilsners on tap so the glass ware covers well enough, you are more than welcome to bring your own glass though. oh and there's never a frosty glass in sight

we only ever tap beers that are really limited, like one 5-7gal keg in the whole distro area, so at times i may go down a tap mid day on a saturday and i've already got the best all the distros can offer me for the week so ill be down a tap handle for a few days, but people get really angry at me about that. its hard to curate 6 taps of the rarest beers possible in area where every two blocks is another bar and craft is grabbing more taps. sometimes we literally have to scream at distros to get us certain kegs, not to mention the time i spend checking tap list in other places to make sure we don't have the same beers.

TL;DR
    Some of us out here are trying hard to be great
    try bringing your own glass if its that important
    bars are for adults, bring your kids but don't get angry when its not kid friendly and realize your probably screwing up someone else's experience.
    Multiple temps=Really damn expensive

TheDoctor, alpaca, swolepeer and 7 others like this.