1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What changes would you like to see in bars?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ernest_Hooper, Mar 10, 2014.

1. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

I want to drink at your bar!

Barrelsnbeer likes this.
  2. come to NC bruddah! if your really in pitcairn ill trade you spots! hahaha

3. ParkbrauFan

ParkbrauFan Savant (375) Iowa Feb 8, 2014

I was at a bar recently where they served every style in a tulip. it was a bit bizarre. They must have gotten a great deal from a glass distributor

4. I like places that have various pour sizes. Sometimes I want to try a bunch of beers and only want them in 5-6 oz servings. I wish more bars did it, but I understand why they wouldn't. Having so many types of glassware gets expensive, especially when people are just gonna steal 'em.

Like anybody else, I'd like to see cheaper prices or better specials on craft beer. At most bars, the specials are almost always on BMC. I do have a couple bars that have great craft specials- a place near me has 11am-7pm everyday- 2 for 1 on almost all of the taps and most bottles, save bombers.

TheDoctor and Pintofbrown like this.
  5. But the limit on BAC is set by the state/federal government so it would seemingly be a non-issue with bar liability. If a person is in compliance with the legal limit and they are still unable to drive it would fall on the fault of the law not the establishment. But I'm not a lawyer so I might be missing something.

And the more that I think about it and hear input on the topic of beer temperature it seems the consensus is that it's currently just about impossible. Perhaps there is room for an engineering innovation. Nothing is impossible, especially if there is increasing demand.

6. HRamz3

Just from how it's been explained to me; they'll argue the machine gave a false "safe" rating, that they were actually over the limit but the machine told them they were below. Then drive and crash, and blame it on the bar.

7. Ysgard

Ysgard Savant (315) Virginia Mar 5, 2008

Motherfucking Pour Sizes. Mother fucking Mikkeler bar in SF listed to the cl the pour you were getting. 250cl, 333 cl, etc. Marked glassware to support. I'll forgive you small pours if I can judge for myself beforehand the value. Making it a game of russian roulette for $9 pours into whatever glass you feel like, from tiny wine taster to a reasonable tulip does not make me feel like hanging around.

Pintofbrown likes this.
  8. Yes, you are. What you're missing is that lawyers go after the money. In that hypothetical, they'll sue anyone who might cough it up, including the driver and the bar that told them they were sober when they weren't.

9. michman

michman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

less TVs and blasting music. dont get me wrong, love having the game on but i dont need 20 flat screens in one room.

ImperatorScab and Pintofbrown like this.
  10. "250 cl, 330 cl" - those are their 'small' pours? :eek:

Must be where JackHorzempa's avatar pic was taken. ;)

paulys55, Ysgard and HRamz3 like this.
  11. Retroman40

Retroman40 Savant (260) Kentucky Dec 7, 2013

When my wife and I go out to a bar there are three things that determine if our shadows ever darken the door again:

1 - Background noise sufficiently low enough that we can have a conversation across a table using "inside" voices;
    2 - A decent selection of beers (bonus points if there is good food); and
    3 - A server that doesn't ask me if I want another when I have perhaps sipped 4 ounces out of a pint.

It's amazing how many places miss the cut with us.

I have real mixed feelings about the kids thing. I'll admit that when my kids were young I/we would occasionally take them to a bar - particularly when traveling if there was a place we just had to visit - but I/we always went at like 2 in the afternoon when the place was generally quite empty; not on Friday at 8 PM. I think you must use common sense but of course common sense isn't always that common.

ImperatorScab and 5thOhio like this.
  12. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You can still get a DUI with a BAC below .08.

.08 is just the strict liability limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_liability_(criminal)

Not to mention: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_shop

13. Black_ox

Black_ox Aficionado (220) Missouri Apr 25, 2013

I think most people here need to try my local bar, International taphouse, or Itap. 40 taps, almost 500 bottles, and everyone from the owner to the bartenders are well versed in beer. Because of this they are able to go through all those bottles without any getting too old (I imagine for IPAs and the like they just start to drink it themselves haha). Also, they don't serve food there, but you are allowed to bring in anything you like. Local pizza and sandwhich places even deliver right to the bar. Plus they have couches and low seating like a coffee shop.

TheDoctor and GoinOnTilt like this.
  14. HRamz3

A 330 cl pour sounds just about right! One and done.

Ysgard likes this.
  15. michman

half pints like in the UK would be really nice

Pintofbrown likes this.
  16. As long as you don't sprain your wrist raising your glass ("Lift with your back, dude!")...

17. More healthy/fresh/organic food selection and better food menus.
    Also more comfortable bar stools /chairs, like these [​IMG]

18. hombrepalo

hombrepalo Savant (265) Illinois Mar 27, 2008

Another thing that pisses me off, places that run out of stuff and don't replace it especially on Weekends.

I've been to places where I ask for 3-4 diffrent beers and all are out, and when I ask so what replaced it they say they haven't. This on a busy weekend! WTF!

admobeer34 and Pintofbrown like this.
  19. JHE73

JHE73 Aficionado (165) California Mar 7, 2013

No TVs

20. Ysgard

Oh, damn you decimal misplacement.

21. "The metric system is simple and easier." Yeah, easier to make a simple mistake, too. ;)
    (No one ever confused ounces with pints).

22. rollom

rollom Advocate (560) New York Jan 22, 2011

what's the name of the place? sounds worth a trip

23. If you ask, a lot of places will do it. Used to be my go-to at Portsmouth Brewery to get 1.5 pints after work and drink home. Even the Toronado in SF did a half pint of Pliny for me. Granted I had already consumed 4 or 5 of them that afternoon, but I asked and they just gave me a shorter pour for a reduced price.

michman likes this.
  24. This. Yes. I swear kids are "en vogue" right now, as wayyyyy too many tasting rooms/brew pubs are becoming kid-friendly. It has nothing with me wanting to "cut loose" or get trashed, but they are an unparalleled annoyance. With the ubiquity of children there should be some sanctuaries free of their screeching and hollering.

(Hyperbole used for rhetorical effect).

Kerrie, jmw and HRamz3 like this.
  25. Then stop going to PBR's tasting room.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  26. Ysgard

I have to laugh at the kid hate. I understand it, but actually complaining out loud about it sounds so...silly. Parents need beer more than most, I'd say. (to some sort of limit).

27. charlzm

charlzm Champion (770) California Sep 3, 2007

My ideal bar:

Only craft beer on tap with a wide variety of styles.
    Proper serving temperature.
    Staff that knows the names of what's on draft and what the brewery and style are.
    No TVs or jukebox.
    A website with an up-to-the-minute draft list.
    Proper glassware.
    And since it's a bar that doesn't serve food, 21 and up only, please.

I don't think I have ever been to such a place.

28. That's good you do that, but you're definitely in the minority of parents who raise their kids right. Maybe it's a southern California thing, but less than 10% of parents would take the steps you do if their kid is misbehaving.

Kerrie and charlzm like this.
  29. Not kid hate, Kid Fatigue. It's a serious diagnosis.

Kerrie and charlzm like this.
  30. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Tut likes this.
  31. admobeer34 and rollom like this.
  32. HRamz3

One reason I miss when smoking was permitted in bars. Kept the Kiddie-Krowd out.

charlzm likes this.
  33. Whoa, take it easy.

34. michman

after 4-5 Pliny id be looking for a short pour as well! haha. i will have to ask some of the places i frequent.

35. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Frankly it does not matter to me one way or another...another thread I should not have answered;)

BlastBeats and charlzm like this.
  36. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

The last thing bars need is one more regulation to comply with. Beyond that, if you're buzzed enough that you feel like you need to check BAC with a breathalyzer you probably shouldn't be driving, even if you are still under the limit.

BrettHead likes this.
  37. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

No.

38. Less of a selection.

In my experience, from bottle shops right on up to bars, when you have a huge selection you have stale beer. When you have a small selection you have fresh beer. This is not uniform across the board and I am sure there are many exceptions on both extremes, but it is something I am noticing more and more.

39. Treezilla

Treezilla Aficionado (120) Colorado Aug 12, 2013

I love the idea of getting half pours on beers, not enough places offer this.

Tut, TheFlern and Pintofbrown like this.
  40. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

I am super surprised by the repeated mention of proper serving temp. in this thread. BA's! If the beer is too cold, let it warm up! Take a sip when it IS cold, wait for fifteen minutes while you cradle that beautiful RIS in your hands like a baby (but not a REAL baby, fuck kids in bars amirite? LOL). See how it changes as time passes.

Why is this an issue unless you walk into a bar knowing you have less than a half hour to slam a beer down? And don't forget that infrared thermometer so you know right when that beer hits the 55 degree sweet spot!

benart, ClassMachine and jefffalcone like this.