1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What changes would you like to see in bars?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ernest_Hooper, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

This idea that having TV's somehow completely prevents any conversation is laughable. Can't tell you the number of times I've started up a conversation with a complete stranger simply because of something we were watching on the TV. Not everyone who visits a beer bar wants to sit around and discuss the intricacies of the beer they're drinking.

Also, I hate to break it to some of you, but there are people who equally enjoy both sports and craft beer. Sorry this bothers you.
  2. I'll be 34 in April. Shockingly, I can still remember back to my early 20's. As you say (the only accurate part of your post), no sane parent would bring his kids to those types of bars. However, they are the only bars that I have ever been to where the language that I questioned would ever be a problem. All "adult bars" that I visited have been inhabited by *gasp* adults.
  3. Ironically you are asking for new parents to leave their kids at home whereas the status quo seems to be to allow kids into bars. If the owner has no problem with it, who is acting entitled in this situation?
    Dan114 likes this.
  4. can you expound on that comment please?
  5. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Can you highlight my point any more blatantly?! What don't you understand about a bar being an adult destination? I get it, you're wife won't let you go to a bar unless she can tag along, therefore you have to drag your rug-rat along. Lucky you.

FWIW, this is a new phenomenon. There wer no kids in bars in the 1980's.
  6. No frosted glasses, be more Facebook (or other social media) active as far as new beers coming in, specials, etc. and, if the bar doesn't have their menu on BeerMenus, they should at least put it on their website and keep it updated.
  7. reminds me of when we took our little one to a family restaurant that happens to have a good craft beer list. I ordered an Oak aged Expresso Yeti cause I had never got to drink it before, the server brought it out kind of cold, so I waited until after I was done eating and it was going to be my 'dessert'. Well, my little one starts acting up and I sure as hell wasn't going to leave that beer untouched, so I chugged that thing before having to leave. Didn't really get to enjoy that beer.
  8. I bring my family to places that are appropriate for kids, at times that are appropriate for kids. At these types of places I'm not concerned about having to explain to my son what a cocksucker is before he figures it out at a more reasonable age. I'm not going to ask for an extra tall high chair so he can sit next to me at a bar.

I guess I don't understand your point. This thread is about changes that you would like to see made at bars. You are arguing that kids should not be allowed at bars. I only abide by the existing rules that breweries, brew-pubs, and bars put in place. I'm failing to see how I am acting as the more entitled of the two of us.

Surprisingly, we do agree on something: I consider myself to be extremely lucky.

FWIW: One of my favorite breweries actually sells shirts for babies - see avatar. We have always felt welcomed at Jack's Abby.
    zstef99 likes this.
  9. If you want your beer served at the right temperature from tap, support real ale and move away from the draft selection, please. Otherwise, with the amount of space the extra coolers would take up and the amount of waste created by serving a whatever fancy beer you want at its optimum 50ยบ you best be prepared to be paying quite a bit more for the 8$ pour than you already do.
    rollom likes this.
  10. Ysgard

Ysgard Savant (315) Virginia Mar 5, 2008

It's called a corkage fee. Basically, depending on the law, even if you bring it, it must be served to you by the establishment, and they charge some fee to do so. I don't live in such a place, so not sure what a normal fee is though.
    Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  11. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I have two great craft bars and 3 micro breweries in my town. One of the craft bars offers a 5 oz pour on everything they have. It's a lot easier to be adventurous with a 5 oz pour. I would like to see a wider range of options.
    BurkeBeerGuy likes this.
  12. Fargrow

Fargrow Savant (445) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

If you're so concerned with what other people look like and talk about at bars, maybe you should just stay home and wallow in your intolerance for others there.
  13. yea, new parents think they own the world because they have some brat with them. its a very common attitude with young parents or first time parents.
    HRamz3 likes this.
  14. I find it interesting that people are so concerned about obnoxious kids being in bars but no one is concerned about obnoxious adults in bars.
    BlastBeats, JoeBloe, NavyGuy and 6 others like this.
  15. For wine that is accepted. Bringing liquor and beer is a death sentence unless they are also charging you on top of each beverage.
  16. People rarely like to look at their own faults.
  17. On the topic of TV's at bars....

I hate TV's at bars. I don't watch much TV at home and I certainly don't want to see it when I am out with friends. Even if I'm at a bar by myself, I'd rather not have a TV with a dancing monkey playing the tambourine on the screen. But to the folks saying that TV's limit conversations, look deeper. The TV's are there because people don't want to talk, they are a response to what costumers want. It's not like a bunch of people walked into a bar hoping to have a discussion, but a TV was one so they all stopped and starred at the dancing money, unable to engage in the conversations they were hoping to have. If people want to talk, they will. If enough people want to talk and don't want the distraction of a TV interrupting them, the bar owners will eventually turn the TV off and, at some point, get rid of the TV altogether.

To the folks who do want TV's at bars, I can understand that. It's not my cup of tea, but I do get it. I would imagine however, that even those in favor of TV's at bars are a bit annoyed by an overload of TV's (like every single wall has a TV and all of them are playing the same show/event/etc.). Perhaps I am wrong with that assumption and people do really want the option of watching college hockey on 32", 42", 52" and 62" TV's, I don't know. Beeradvocates that do like to watch TV at bars, what's your take on this?
  18. Is this a bar or a departure lounge?
    As a contrast;

[​IMG]
    zid, surfcaster, jmw and 6 others like this.
  19. BTW, my earlier post in this thread was purely tongue in cheek. Just in case you needed to be told.
  20. My personal favorite "taplist" is the one in my avatar.
    rollom and Providence like this.
  21. I agree that TVs at bars are distracting under certain circumstance, but under others they are literally the reason that I go to the bar. The problem here is with me, not the bar. However, I did visit a Buffalo Wild Wings once where a TV seemed to cover every square inch of wall space. That was overkill for me and I haven't been back.
  22. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Savant (280) Michigan Mar 31, 2010

I like to have sports on a TV or two at most bars, specifically because sports are one of the few things on TV that you can enjoy casually without sound or focus. I do hate when bars have sitcoms (or really anything else) on, because it just seems like a waste - I can't get enjoyment out of a sitcom without hearing it, and it DOES annoy me when bars put the TV sound feed on for anything besides maybe a really big game involving a local team.

That said, I have no problem with true "craft beer bars" who are focusing on beer leaving TVs out entirely.
  23. It's not suicide if you're a beer bar and let people bring in either wine or spirits but not beer, this goes double for places that don't sell wine at all, like some great beer places I know of. Reverse it for a wine bar. I can't be the only guy with a girlfriend who wants wine much more often than beer.

You could also charge a corkage fee if you're really worried about losing money.
  24. I've gotten into more conversations (at least with strangers) that started because of something on the television than I ever have staring at a wall.

As to the multiple TVs; It depends. If I am going to watch a Pats game or the like, I like knowing I will be able to see the game regardless of location in the restaurant. So yes when there is a game I want to watch having many options is a bonus. Otherwise you have to get there early and post up near the TV and at a good angle to even have a chance to watch the game.

Other times it depends on the lighting. I have a hard time (headaches and such) when most of the light in a room is sourced from television screens.
  25. Interesting. My experience is quite the opposite.
    Tut likes this.
  26. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I touched on this in my previous post, but I am a big sports fan just as I am a big fan of craft beer. I like having the option to watch a game and also enjoy great beer on draft. I may not be glued to the game the entire time I'm at the bar, but I like being able to glance at it and pay closer attention at certain moments. I don't need wall-to-wall TV's like what you'll find at a place like Buffalo Wild Wings- for instance my regular couple bars have a couple TV's that are strategically placed as to not dominate the environment, but also provide a decent viewing experience. Do I go to a full-blown sports bar like BWW when all I care about is watching the game? Sure, from time to time. But if I just want to casually watch while also enjoying great beer in the process, I'm glad I have that opportunity available.

Like I said, I've ended up in more than my fair share of conversations while watching a game at my beer bars because I happened to share a common interest in sports with the guy next to me. I do agree that showing a sitcom or some other channel with no sound is kind of pointless, and I don't pay attention to the TV if that happens to be the case.
  27. THIS. There's a restaurant near me with a decent beer list that will do a 8-oz pour, so I can at least try a couple of things. Better yet are the places (and I can think of 3 or 4 near me) that do the 4 oz pours. So you can try 4 different beers with your meal, and be OK. Of course, I weigh 250 .. .
  28. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

wait 'til you have some kids......
    Zimbo likes this.
  29. Kids don't belong at bars, breweries or nice restaurants. I will add a trend of places that ban kids is growing, which I really hope continues, believe it or not even some hotels ban them. What's so hard about getting a baby sitter, leaving them with your gf, grandma, or friends gf? Please explain to me why a infant or toddler has any business being in a bar, brewery, restaurant (not family restaurant), or nice hotel.

I think it's time we start talking about adult things, in graphic detail loud enough for all the children in the bar to hear, if everyone would do it parents would get the idea, that kids don't belong in places meant for adults. At the very least there should be adults only sections, just like there are non smoking sections, this should go for airplanes and trains too.
    willth likes this.
  30. willth

willth Aficionado (235) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

Its called baby sitters or in-laws
    HRamz3 likes this.
  31. Lukenbrew

Lukenbrew Disciple (55) Ohio Jul 1, 2013

Our daughter is now 16 months, and we take her everywhere - went to dinner just one week after the birth and haven't stopped since...

But not to beer bars! I feel comfortable taking her to Fathead's or Melt here in Cleveland all the time (but even then for lunch/early dinner), but would never take her to 90+ rating 'beer bars'. For instance, I was recently in Toronado in SF, and there is never a time I would take her there...that was an adult trip (which included wine country), which would have been unrecognizably different if we took the kids.

As already mentioned it is disrespectful to the bartenders and other patrons - maybe there are folks there that did get a sitter, and this is there night to cut loose?
  32. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

...yes, certain people shouldn't be in places where they aren't liked or tolerated by certain other people....
  33. Lukenbrew

Lukenbrew Disciple (55) Ohio Jul 1, 2013

Oh, and any bar blasting the NCAA tourney will kill any bar that is not next weekend, whether they are serving heineken or ZD... its purely dollars and cents.
    admobeer34 and keithmurray like this.
  34. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

I do, thank you.
  35. It's refreshing to see so many people railing on the loud music that you see in bars so often these days. It was the first thing I thought of that I would change and felt like I was the minority on that one. I guess I'm not alone.
    Tut likes this.
  36. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You do realize things are different all over this great nation right?

Law in my state:

When can minors be in bars?

"There is no NLCC regulation or state statute that prohibits minors from being in a bar at any
    time, however their may be some local ordinance that sets specific hours and circumstances were
    minors may be in liquor establishments"
  37. BrettHead

Not free just very, very cheap from the distributors.
  38. You mad, bro?

Okay, somebody asks everyone a hypothetical question, then also shares his answer to said hypothetical question to get the ball rolling, and then you come out of left field ranting like a mad man. Maybe his ideal bar setting would financially work, maybe it wouldn't. I don't personally know, I'm not a bar owner and I don't know of a bar that has tried his hypothetical method. (I would totally go to it regularly, though.) However that's not even the point; if you don't like the exercise because there's not enough "realism" in it, then why even open your mouth in the first place?

Also who, aside from you, says it is inconceivable? Again, I'm not a bar owner, but I don't see his standards being so unrealistic that it's impossible to successfully pull off.
    Ernest_Hooper, rollom and Tut like this.
  39. Yes, I realize that there are differences based on state and locality, although I'm certainly not aware of what they are. I guess the regulations that you cite would make it easier for parents to bring their kids to bars. I just haven't personally recognized kids in bars as a big problem.
  40. BrettHead

false dichotomy is false