1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What changes would you like to see in bars?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ernest_Hooper, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Never tried to create a dichotomy out of the two.
    BlastBeats, BrettHead and Rekrule like this.
  2. many American bars have a simple chalkboard as well. lol. BTW, would love to try both hoheads.
  3. so, ALL new/young parent's act like that? you stereotype much, or just hang with a degenerate type of crowd?
  4. no, I said it's common. not all.
  5. and yes, i hang with degenerates, stereotype and post on BA
  6. TickleMeTony

TickleMeTony Savant (280) Colorado Sep 18, 2013

Some guy already developed a system apparently. He can store X amount of kegs and individually control the temperatures of each. I can't remember where, but I read the article on here. It's pretty sweet. Apparently someone wasn't happy with the ice-cold temperature of their bourbon barrel imperial stout.
    Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  7. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

It's not just the keg temp, the glycol coolant around the lines would need to be adjustable. Much more difficult.
  8. rollom

rollom Advocate (510) New York Jan 22, 2011

Parents - please take note
  9. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (375) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

Suggestions for bars:

1) If you serve food, have at least one vegan option besides "house salad minus the cheese"

2) If you have a jukebox, please don't have one of those awful TouchTunes internet jukeboxes where anybody can play whatever the hell they want. Have a damn identity already -- your jukebox selection possibilities should reflect that identity.

3) At the bar, have some sort of ledge for feet. Bonus points if you have hooks for coats if your stools don't have backs.

4) If you have multiple TVs on, please don't allow sound to come from multiple programs simultaneously. This includes music. Music or sporting event sound. Not both.

5) beermenus.com
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Pintofbrown and HRamz3 like this.
  10. This generally true. However, an occasional place with a traditional English pub-like atmosphere where (well behaved) kids are present can be a great thing.
    Donco likes this.
  11. I just got back from grocery store. couldn't even walk through the threshold because two mothers with kids were chatting it up blocking the entrance. when the older lady in front of me squeaked out an "excuse me" she got the dirtiest look. i laughed and asked which one of them were first time moms. both were. lol. buddy, i see it all the time.
    rollom and HRamz3 like this.
  12. HRamz3

YES! Can't believe it took this long for that to come up!
  13. Wasn't there a time where if kids went to places adults went to they would break out the German Shepards, riot gear and fire hoses? Let's not go back to that time. Ya Hearrrd?
  14. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

Loners please find someone.
    NavyGuy likes this.
  15. rollom

rollom Advocate (510) New York Jan 22, 2011

Confused by this. What does a loner have to do with anything? Point is that Lukenbrew (a parent) seems to have a very reasonable approach regarding when he/she does or does not take their child to somewhere serving alcohol.

Contrary to a lot of posts in this thread, he/she has neither have a hardline approach of "no a child can never be anywhere that alcohol is served", nor the opposite "my child should be welcome anywhere". Instead he/she has a balanced outlook, and I agreed with this. I couldn't exactly respond with "people without children - take note" could I?

Seems (now I'm reading your response to beerassassin too) that you're reading entirely too much into this. Chill out.
    Tut, BeerAssassin and Lukenbrew like this.
  16. Miami66

Miami66 Aficionado (240) Nebraska Mar 19, 2013

I guess the biggest thing for me here in Lincoln, Nebraska is having an updated menu for beers. The other thing is making sure the bartenders know what is available in the bar. Every staff member should know what the beer on a new poster is.
    Pintofbrown likes this.
  17. You don't know me, I have a gf. Also since you know neither of us, I'm not sure how you know whether or not we want kids. You need to realize that, just because I think kids don't belong in certain situations, doesn't mean I hate them. Non smokers are bothered by smokers, that's why they have separate sections in restaurants and is banned or airplanes, trains, and non smoking hotel rooms. Not sure why you think kids belong everywhere, why should the world change how it operates to suit your kids. Your kids will be adults one day and be able to enjoy everything, like all adults.
    Tut and michman like this.
  18. ASak10

ASak10 Savant (270) Colorado Jan 2, 2014

And here I thought arguments about price "gouging" of beer were the most annoying arguments to sift through on this site...
    SouthAtholSuds and michman like this.
  19. I think there is a lot of miscommunication going on in this thread. I don't think anyone objects to what you do with your family. Unfortunately there are dumbass parents out there who don't know the difference between a kid friendly place and a place where everyone is just too nice to tell them to fuck off.
  20. why? just pour off the first glass glass.
  21. HRamz3

Major waste of inventory. Money down the drain. Plus, in a lot of bars the kegs are in the basement. Those lines may be 20' long (hence the use of the glycol cooled lines), running out that amount of beer would be beyond ridiculous. As someone else already noted, the temp in the cooler is cold for a reason, and it's not related to taste. If you warm it up, the beer foams more, and it is just not economically feasable to waste that much beer.
  22. Storm21

Storm21 Savant (320) Ohio Oct 15, 2013

Jeez we have some high class people in here. Give me a bar with some solid selections and an updated tap list and I'm good to go. I like TVs, there isn't much better than sitting down enjoying some good beer with people and watching a good game.
    surfcaster and jbhollis1180 like this.
  23. Jirin

Jirin Savant (310) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

I think all internet threads asking for somebody's personal opinion about what would improve their experience at bars should turn into vitriolic pissing contests where everybody makes grand sweeping judgments about everybody else's lifestyle choices based on snap judgments from single paragraphs posted by that person. And of course, every time somebody has a suggestion that is not the best business practice, somebody should patronizingly lecture them about real world economics.

I would prefer to hang out in paces where younger kids aren't allowed in. Other people don't care or feel the opposite, let each bar decide for itself based on the crowd and atmosphere it wants.

Dealing with children in the way is just part of life you have to tolerate. Last time I was on a plane there was a young kid behind me who was coughing and a few times he reached through the crack in the seat and touched me. Last time I went to a rock climbing gym I couldn't use the reverse hang area because some kids were using it like a slide. You deal with it because they're kids and have no way of knowing it would bother people.

But if you want to attract me to a bar, make it a place that's not noisy and I can relax and not censor myself.
    jdaddy, Ernest_Hooper and BrettHead like this.
  24. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

Sooner or later they all come around. You'll learn to like it - welcome to my camp! :cool:
    BrettHead and BMitch like this.
  25. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

...or 'tolerance'.
  26. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I'd probably see eye to eye with you more often if you didn't always come across as such an old curmudgeon. :p
    Tut likes this.
  27. Many excellent pubs here are family friendly and I have no problem with them.
    I get the impression that some posters want to behave in a manner which would be unsuitable if children were present.Personally, if anybody did that in my haunts they would be out on their ear pretty quickly.
    But there are children and there are children.My own boys were beautifully behaved ( other people's opinion, self praise is no praise) and I could confidently take them anywhere.Nobody ever objected to my taking them into the pub ,one landlord even sat them down in his kitchen and gave them orange juice and nibbles.
    Pubs in rural areas at least have to be family friendly because those which are not would lose a lot of business.
  28. Lukenbrew

Lukenbrew Disciple (55) Ohio Jul 1, 2013

I can sympathize with non-parents - Young single guys are focused on school, their career, sports, or getting laid... kids dont even register - we all were there at some point. Truth is to guys, even fathers, the best kids/other peoples' kids are the ones you don't even know are there (I love it when people say this on a crowded flight when we stand up after landing).
    But damned if I don't love a good draft beer in a gastropub/brewpub with a good dinner - I hope that never changes no matter what stage in my life: marriage, kids, and my kids' marriage (especially time to celebrate!).

As rollom stated, selection of appropriate environment for our kids is no different than your choice of where/when to smoke, appropriate clothing for a situation, formality of language, etc - just takes common sense!
  29. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Removing or limiting the seats at a bar, specifically when a bar is busy.

As a patron, it just blocks off so much space and prevents you from ordering at the bar. You have to reach over people and spill on them to get the drink you ordered.

As a business, you're slowly down how quickly people can buy drinks! I doubt people sitting at the bar will go to another bar just because the bar doesn't have seats, but I certainly imagine people have ordered less drinks or left a place because ordering a drink got too cumbersome.
    HRamz3 likes this.
  30. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Sure they do. They are called parents. Cheers
  31. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

I go to one nice restaurant/bar several times a week for an afternoon beer or two. This place sells fantastic fresh draft beer from everywhere, but features N.C. beers. The place is very family friendly and folks of all ages and walks of life intermingle perfectly well. On some early Fridays the place fills up quickly with young families while the bar is fully peopled with young, old, and all in between. I've never seen a problem ever. Sure kids sometimes get a bit fussy but nobody cares and many remember their own youngsters and go about their business. I love civilized places and conversation.
  32. 1.)Don't exclude people who choose to eat a certain way.

2.)Do exclude people who listen to music you don't like.

?

Limiting music style on a juke box is a good way to make sure it doesn't pay for itself.
    Norica and WilliamN like this.
  33. You're right. Should have had that one on my list.
  34. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aficionado (245) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

Perfect dude I'm ready to find someone with money , love to help start this . I would like to see half pours like in Athens ga at some of their restaurants. I threw out an idea a week ago about opening a tasting room and selling smaller amounts, everyone's tastebuds are different, so why not sell 6oz. I will drink half a beer and cap it then pop another . Sounds crazy but my hophead and can't get enough different flavors. The perfect craft beer experience with those whom are serious for that perfect pour. Man this could be called café beertopia. You would stay there for hours. Good idea!
    Pintofbrown likes this.
  35. You're right. No WiFi should have been on my list.
  36. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Thanks for the kind words man! I REALLY like it when beer establishments have smaller pours on their menu! I like trying new beer; I dislike being stuck with a beer that did not do it for me.

And to the guy above about having a bar with a shelf for your feet? GENIUS! The little things man, it is the little things.
  37. Radome

Radome Savant (495) California May 24, 2009

Ban freezer-frosted pint glasses and mugs.

Fire all employees whose answer the question, "What craft beers do you have?" with their own question, "What's craft beer?" (Yes, this is inspired by a true story from last weekend in San Antonio.)
  38. MosinMan762

MosinMan762 Aficionado (110) Ohio Oct 21, 2013

I'm not picky at all, but if I could ask for one change from my favorite beer bar it would be to update facebook/twitter whenever something new is tapped. Or even post a tap list every day. Just a thought.
    Immortale25 likes this.
  39. MosinMan762

MosinMan762 Aficionado (110) Ohio Oct 21, 2013

Last weekend I asked a local bartender what Fifty West's Fork in the Road was (meaning, is it an IPA, stout, or whatever)... she looked at me bewildered, completely unable to answer my question and just poured me a sample without saying a word. I was ok with that. :)
  40. I think Portland has a relaxed approach to kids in bars. Some of my favorite places seems to ignore the over 21 signs all the time. However I feel if you're going to a bar or pub leave the kids home. I haven't seen too many out of control or noisy kids however imo it's in bad taste.

Also it would be nice if places updated their website with the tap list. I don't use twitter or facebook so for me it's annoying that many places have a site but no daily tap list.