1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What changes would you like to see in bars?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ernest_Hooper, Mar 10, 2014.

1. 1) A Truepour tap system or similar (This system makes it easy to sanitize lines on a regular basis.)
    2) Around here 99% of the bars serve the same beer. They are all Western Canadian Adjuncts Syle
    3) NO CHILLED MUGS PLEASE!
    4) Proper glasswear for each But first get some different beer to change things up.
    5) Support your micro local breweries. the Major breweries have all the taps. The little guys make really good beer.

2. ALL of them. Though, I realize many bars would cease operations without their unlimited trust-fund-spending patrons.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Also with nearly all systems you would find at a bar, the warmer the cooler the worse the beer comes out of the tap.

4. I'd like to see a ban on bars and pubs having "Free Beer Tomorrow" signs. I always have that disappointed feeling like I shouldn't have come today, and that I'm going to miss something tomorrow. ;)

AntG21 likes this.
  5. Bingo! Drives me nuts. I don't wanna drink in a Chuck-E-Cheese!

6. A decent selection. Maybe it's just that I live in nowheresville but I haven't seen any pub in this area with a craft selection at all. Also, more pubs with "no drunken dicking around" policies like in the majority of Irish Pubs I've been in - I go to the pub to have a good time with my friends for a few hours that night. Not for people who can't handle their booze to start unnecessary conflicts.

7. an abundance of hot chicks that dig beer nerds.

evilcatfish likes this.
  8. Mandatory menu education for the servers. Most places require servers to memorize the food menus anyways, and I'm always impressed by craft bars/gastropubs where the servers can actually answer my questions about a brew I want to try.

9. JLew2

JLew2 Initiate (10) Massachusetts Dec 12, 2013

Have a place at the bar for people standing to access the bartender without squeezing between others sitting.

10. Clean glassware FTW!

11. Benish

Benish Advocate (515) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Living in Utah it would be nice not to have to BUY FOOD when you want to buy a beer. They won't sell you drinks only.

12. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Sports also dont require sound.

Which would be one of mine -- keep the tv sound off. I dont care if the local sports teams is in the World Series for the first time in my life, I dont want to hear the tv sound.

And I prefer music to be instrumental only, but that is getting picky.

13. I live in the middle of nowhere, and my local bar only has BMC. No Sierra Nevada even, which even most sub par bars have.. I pretty much only go there to shoot pool but it would be nice to be able to order some local brews. Also, more live music.

14. Most important parameters for a great bar to me are:
    -an up-to-date draft and bottle list posted somewhere, but preferably BeerMenus
    -old bottles (read: bottles that are supposed to be consumed fresh) are pulled from the shelf. I don't care if they cut their bottle selection in half to do this.
    -contains an area mostly out of range from what's being played on jukebox.

Things more bars should be doing:
    -allow different size pours (5 oz. 8 oz. 12 oz., 16 oz., etc.)
    -allow flights
    -carb. and temp. controls. Torst in Brooklyn has this. It's awesome. I understand this is unlikely to ever be highly implemented, but it's certainly ideal.

I've seen a lot of people mention proper glassware, but as far as I'm concerned, if I show up to a bar and they give me a chilled pint glass, I am not ordering beer from them again. If establishments are going to start offering craft beer they should do some basic research before offering it. Namely, make sure beers that should be fresh are sold fresh and the proper glassware is used. Any craft beer bar worth its salt pays attention to the glassware they use.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. Well frankly I wish my cellmate would stop threatening to shiv me in the dead of night. And there's this guard on my block that smells like cottage cheese. It's like, damn dude, shower once in a while. And tuck in your shirt.

16. Fewer douchebags. No loud music

17. Sounds like most of you folks live in the middle of no where and consistently go to crappy bars.

ArkansasTraveller likes this.
  18. Also, more dog friendly bars. Only thing better than drinkin a beer is drinkin a beer with my dog. Plus, he's a friggin chick magnet.

BigRedDog likes this.
  19. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Savant (380) Alabama Jun 1, 2014

1. More local beers at every bar. If it's brewed in your home town and it's reasonably tasty give it a tap or at least sell bottles of it! I have 3-4 breweries in my town and unless I go to a specific craft bar I can't get them at the average bar in town.
    2. Bring me a glass instead of just a bottle or can.
    3. A clean glass please.
    4. An option to have things at a civilized temperature.
    5. And not so much beer related but I really hate televisions, loud music and other things that are noisy.

20. dutesanch

dutesanch Savant (275) California Apr 22, 2014

Less Shock top and Blue Moon. More good beer. Also don't really like anything that's "shoulder to shoulder"

21. 8 ounce pours...love the 1/2 pint.

22. Perhaps this doesn't count, but the best bar experience I ever had was at a tiny brewpub. They didn't have any televisions. They had various games to play (UNO, checkers) and they had a live band later on. It was a very family- friendly experience, they also sold root beer they made themselves. This type of thing would never catch on to the rowdy younger masses, but I enjoyed it.