1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What cheap beer is in your fridge?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mediczod, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Does anyone keep "cheap" beer in your fridge for people who don't appreciate good beer? I have a few family members and friends who stop in from time to time that absolutely have no appreciation for good beer. Bud Light and Coors is about the extent of their beer drinking. I don't mind sharing my beer with anyone, but on the other hand, I hate wasting it on people that won't appreciate it when I could be offering them something else. I usually keep a few Anchor Steam in my fridge for these folks. Anyone else do anything similar?

baconman91 and chuckstout like this.
  2. Usually if non-beer people come over I have Naragansett around. Even better is when I can find Bitburger. I love that stuff and my macro friends dig it too.

3. Great lakes or lagunitas cheapest you'll find in my fridge, bring your own if that isnt to your liking.

4. summit epa always

5. Unless i know someone is coming over no.

19etz55 and azorie like this.
  6. There are the occasional PBRs but after my new job and being the beverage director for a small restaurant, I have begun to purchase a case a month of craft beer cans and bottles to keep in the fridge for friends. right now the cans are...
    Trout Slayer
    Boont Amber

7. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

The High Life in my fridge is for ME! Actually, I'd rather turn my friends on to the craft beers I have. Usually let 'em sample around 2 oz first.

Acforster2 likes this.
  8. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I've given up serving people craft if they don't show explicit interest in it, I am so done trying to convert anyone.

All of the "special" stuff I keep at cellar temp anyways, but I have some Brugse Zot (a Belgian blonde) in my fridge at all times if people just want a beer. I won 8 cases of the stuff last March and still have 4 left, so they better hurry if they want it fresh.

9. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Southern Star Blonde Bombshell, its even in a blue can.

MisterGrizz and Azzy like this.
  10. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

No way. If they want cheap beer then they can get it themselves. And if they drink cheap beer, they're not getting mine because I buy good, expensive beer.

11. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Anchor Steam is expensive around here (Long Island).

I usually have this on hand for my non craft beer drinking friends and family...

[​IMG]
    $18 a case and I'll drink it whenever I'm just in the mood for "a beer".​

Catracho5, DaKur, acevenom and 6 others like this.
  12. Strohs but that's for my wife and I. My friends that drink cheap beer turn their noses up when offered one.

13. zsk

zsk Aficionado (190) Ohio Jan 13, 2006

I usually have Genessee Cream Ale!

14. Samuel Adam's Cream Stout and Winter Lager, that is as cheap as it gets for me.

Mgm54 likes this.
  15. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Only beer in my fridge now is for me and it just happens to be Narragansett Lager, a cheap one.

Rekrule likes this.
  16. Home Brew is the cheapest I got , last IPA I made came it at 7.5% and cost me about 2.00 a 6 pack to make

17. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't appreciate at least a Blue Moon, Boston Lager, or Guinness.

Edit, my old roommate was a generally a Miller Highlife guy, though his favorite beer is Duvel.

18. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

nah. I just offer them something else... whiskey and coke anyone? I don't buy anything I wouldn't consume...because you know I'd be stuck w/ it after the party!

19. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

zywiec = I have a polish husband.

20. PaulUH

PaulUH Savant (265) Texas Aug 14, 2012

Coors for the wifes michelada

joelwlcx and JDD419 like this.
  21. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Savant (275) Texas Sep 27, 2012

Usually just Shiner

[​IMG]

22. macster

macster Savant (310) Florida Dec 16, 2003

The TW here in Jax sells the regular line of Sierra Nevada for $6.99. Not a "cheap" beer by any means quality-wise, but ya can't beat that price. Keep plenty of flavors in the beer fridge!

23. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Bud Light. Leftover from an all night bachelor party/bbq. You can't drink a good ipa all night and last.

24. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

No. If it is in my fridge it's something I enjoy weather it's Ommegang or Genny Cream ale.

Jae9979 likes this.
  25. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

bud light lime. just a refreshing beer.

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  26. Heineken Light, flavor without calories

27. I don't buy "cheap beer" for those who don't like what I have, they know to bring their own, which is why there's a can of Coors Extra Gold in my fridge right now from Christmas time. And there it will stay until someone else drinks it; most likely the own who brought it here.

28. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I tried to buy cheap beer once for a BBQ. I ended up confused and bought nothing. Well, I bought some Bell's, but no one would drink it. Oh, darn.:D

29. mrpking

mrpking Aspirant (35) California Jul 4, 2011

Moosehead in the Fall/Winter...Tecate OR Modelo Especial in the Spring/Summer...

creepinjeeper likes this.
  30. sloany

sloany Aficionado (125) Minnesota Jan 13, 2013

Leinies for the lean weeks.

31. ruuustin

ruuustin Disciple (50) Tennessee Jan 24, 2011

Sam Adams or something local.

32. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - $13/12 pack and a damn decent beer

turbotype, WYVYRN527 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  33. nothing overly cheap, i know back in the day my mom used to keep a 40 of pbr to cook hotdogs with :D.

34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Rahr & Sons Ugly Pug. But its not just for visitors - I drink it myself when I just want a beer and dont want anything complex.

Sazz9 likes this.
  35. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Narragansett Cream Ale
    Long Trail Double Bag
    Shed IPA
    SN Stout
    Southern Tier Old Man
    Wolavers Alta Gracia Coffee Porter

36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Cheap? Usually a Light beer of some type, but right now the cheapest beer in my fridge is BCBS, because it's the only beer in my fridge. Waiting on Jai Alai to come to the door so I don't want to buy any more beer right now.

37. Being a college kid, we'll usually have a case of PBR in the fridge, but that's more for drinking games; ain't nobody touching my real beer but me.

38. I can usually get away with having Sam Adams or blue moon. Otherwise they tend to bring their own.

39. Miller lite, corona light, Sam Adams variety pack. Have a separate frigid for the "low Enders" :)