1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What cheap beer is in your fridge?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mediczod, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ferrari29

ferrari29 Savant (410) Illinois Apr 15, 2009

One Heineken. I've been trying to get rid of it for the past year. Someone brought it over and I never touched it.

chuckstout likes this.
  2. Yuengling can or bottle.

3. No macro stuff, but I usually have a stock of Anchor Steam.

4. mathieu87

mathieu87 Aficionado (195) Belgium Jun 22, 2011

Duvel, some Girardin Gueuze, Chimay and Rochefort, not just for friends coming over, also for my personal needs ;)

5. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I don't keep any BMC in my fridge. For cheap stuff, I'll still pick up something like Bell's Oberon, Great Lakes Optimal or something comparable to offer when friends and family are visiting who don't appreciate (or like) the bigger, heavier beers.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I usually have at least 12 Genesee Cream Ales in the fridge at any given time. Sometimes I like drinking on the cheap and sometimes I crack a $20 bomber just for me. You have to have different things for different moods.

7. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (215) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

I always have a 6 pack of coors heavy in my fridge as my dad still thinks that is the most amazing "craft" brew ever made.

8. airforbes1

airforbes1 Savant (250) New York Oct 27, 2010

I have some Schlitz "1960s formula" in my refrigerator. I bought a 12 pack at a grocery store about one year ago. I saw it only at that one grocery store, which is where I bought this 12 pack in November. I checked the beer aisle at this grocery store last week and saw even they no longer had it.

Is it still being made and sold, or did Pabst pull the plug on it? It tastes like white bread to me: very plain but better than the corny, piss-water taste of other AALs.

If it's no longer available, I'll have to find a new ultra cheap (for my standards, at least) beer. Usually the cheapest I'll go is 12 packs of Samuel Adams products or Blue Moon. Beer is expensive here on Long Island as I see Samuel Adams six packs go for $8.99, Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn six packs for $9.99, Smuttynose for $10.99, and Anchor six packs for $12.99, so I try to supplement my pricier selections with cheaper stuff to keep my expenses down.

9. meanmutt

meanmutt Champion (765) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

Currently have 3 Miller 64's and a Bud Light left in the fridge from this past summer. Bought a 12 pack of each for my sister and brother-in-law since they were "dogsitting" for us while we were on vacation.

10. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (290) New York Mar 6, 2009

Naragansett. The place by me has it on sale for $9.99 a case. I keep it around for those who don't know any better.

Dools9 likes this.
  11. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (330) New York Dec 23, 2010

PBR, Shiner Bock and Yuengling.

12. Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the only gas station beer I will buy, and that's only if the liquoir stores are already closed..... in which case, my dog and I will split a sixer.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  13. I have some Corona, and sometimes Miller lite.

14. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Its blue moon or nothing. well my homebrew is cheap to me ;.)

or my main response to this is BYOB.... My friends know me, and I just about removed any that do not drink good beer, relatives on the other hand one cannot do much for some of these rednecks. I do not even try, but I do not invite them either.

15. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

I keep some Blue Moon, a couple differant Sam Adams and some Session Lager.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  16. If I have a barbeque I will stock a separate cooler with the glorious Bud Light that everyone so worships down here and stock another one with something I like. I also urge my attendees to take whatever remains so I don't have any left when the party is over. I try to keep the abv under 6 so I don't have to drive people home afterwards.

Jeremy6566 likes this.
  17. What is cheap? I always find a mixed case of something from Two Brothers at the local Costco for around $24. These go for $8 - $10 a sixer at Binny's etc so for me the $24 is cheap and a deal! :)

18. When I'm going to a relative or friend's house who don't appreciate craft beer, I bring my own. They also know that craft beer is the only beer I drink. Therefore, they know that if they want something else at my house, they can suffer with something I give them [their words, of course] or bring their own.

azorie likes this.
  19. malfunxion

malfunxion Savant (450) New York Dec 14, 2012

sierra nevada pale ale has almost always been my token "cheap beer" but right now i have an abundance of guinness black lager

20. Yuengling cans! I might enjoy the complexity of a well-crafted saison or aged barley wine, but nothing beats a cold can of lager when times are right...

21. Being a young successful bachelor, my house has developed into the party house among my friends. A 24 rack of Yuengling Lager is generally always on standby. Right now I'm also in the midst of polishing off some Natty Boh and a stray 6 pack of High Life that got left behind. No shame here, cheap beer is something my wallet prefers.

22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Cheap as in quality? Guinness.

23. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

That happened to me too except it was Fat Tire.

24. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

My guests can drink whatever they find in my DBF, but they'd better not touch my vintage "M*A*S*H*" beer...;)

P.S. If "Anchor Steam" is cheap, I must -really- hate my guests. :eek:

25. Zanico

Zanico Savant (435) Ohio Nov 24, 2009

I have some Yuengling Lager and a few Bud Lights for when my family comes over. They don't seem to like my craft beers, but that fine, more for me.

26. Well, its not a community fridge so no, I don't.
    Cheapest in there now is Sucks.

27. Bought a 12 pack of Yuengling Black and Tan for around $8 a few months back. Decent beer at a great price. There are still 4 remaining, I only have them every so often with all of the other (better) beer I buy

28. rvajohn

rvajohn Savant (260) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

High Life, PBR, Yuengling, Miller Lite. I have friends that bring over 12 packs and leave the remaining. I like to have a few cheap varieties on hand for visitors that prefer those

29. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I dont have cheap beer at my house. I share when people come over. If they want something they like. Its BYOB.

Cheers!

30. Well since I have a proverbial mother in law who says the craft beer I share w/ her "tastes like deer piss," I try and keep some Olympia or Rolling Rock in one of my four fridges with beer in it.

And she still bitches I don't have Coors Light.

I usually have some Bud Lights around, from less beer centric buddies leaving them after tailgating. But they cleaned those out at the last poker game. That was a hell of a funny picture of the empty bottles that night around the table:

Armageddon (65% abv), a whole bunch of Lawson's, a whole bunch of Bruery, . . .

And a whole bunch of Michelob Ultra and Bud Light.

31. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Lagunitas Sucks. Does a dark closet count?

32. I keep Coors Original in my fridge frequently for my tasting pleasure. Its cheap in price and its a decent lager. Saving $$$ this year so no more $75+ 24pk of variety pk. Will do the $16.99 cases
    A-

33. Whatever the SN seasonal is, and or a 6 of a lagunitas I like.

34. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

4 x Coors Light
    3 x Sixpoint Crisp
    4 x Southern Star Bombshell Blonde
    2 x Dales Pale Ale

35. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

If it's a cheap lager, BYO. I'm not buying a bunch of beer I don't like just in case one of my friends wants one, but they're welcome to anything that's in there.

36. Sazz9

Sazz9 Savant (350) Texas Jul 6, 2012

Ugly Pug+ Storm Cloud = Ugly Cloud.... Not relevant to this thread, but is a great combo beer I had at the Rahr Brewery the other day.

37. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

Blue Moon & Guiness for my black and blue
    Sam Adams (variety pack)
    and there is one bottle of corona way back of the fridge that's been aging for about 1 1/2 year or so.

38. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Schlitz.

acevenom likes this.
  39. nniicckkww

nniicckkww Savant (255) Florida Dec 25, 2005

Coors banquet beer. Where can I get some of their pre-prohibition lager in MA? I'd like a try.

acevenom likes this.
  40. Nothing at the moment. I'll grab SA Boston Lager or PBR if someone that doesnt really drink Craft is coming over.