1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What cheap beer is in your fridge?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mediczod, Jan 13, 2013.

1. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

HOMEBREW
    acevenom likes this.
  2. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

I really don't have friends/family that don't drink craft beer - is that weird?
  3. I tend to keep some Miller Lite, Bud Light and other such beers in my basement (my basement gets pretty cold due to it being a stone basement). I keep some of them in the fridge for people to drink that are not craft beer fans, and rotate new stock into the fridge when I'm running low.

If I'm having a party, it's a mix of Miller Lite/Bud Light/Sam Adams/Corona, then a bunch of craft beer varieties for those that appreciate them.
  4. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

that and Genny 12 Horse. it's cheap and not bad.
    chuckstout likes this.
  5. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Most of the company I get are Bud drinkers and I am not going to waste a quality craft beer on them! I always have Labatt Blue in stock for guests, it is a decent beer that most non craft drinkers like. I like a Blue once in a while also!
  6. Tecate. Something a Mexican Lager on a hot day hits the spot.
  7. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Newcastle Brown Ale, SN Pale Ale
  8. Irish763

Irish763 Aspirant (30) Minnesota Oct 21, 2012

I think there may be a couple of cans of Coors Light in the back that are surely past their sell by date...
  9. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Lion stout.
  10. NEO68710

NEO68710 Savant (255) Washington Mar 6, 2006

I ask what they like and pick that up for them. I just ask they take it with them when they leave because it will just sit in my fridge usually.
  11. lewdwig

lewdwig Aficionado (190) Michigan Jan 6, 2013

Icehouse (wifey's).
  12. I took a buddy of mine to a micro brewery and he asks the server "Do you have anything that tastes like Budweiser?" The answer is mainly no, I rarely stock genaric beers for friends but at the same time its not worth waisting a craft beer on someone who will not appreciate it. I believe in bring your own beer. At the same time when I visit a friends house I will bring my own beer so I have something decient to drink, I will offer to share it but more often then not its just for me, they can stick with there Rocky Mountain Piss Water. Anyone else do that?
  13. in the ski town i live in most anybody who doesn't appreciate quality brew is always satisfied with the ole Pussy Beats Retard, oh sorry I mean PBR. I usually keep a few of those around
  14. I have a few Stellas and Blue Moons left in my fridge, plus some other bottles that people have brought over and left here.
  15. Steel reserve.... Drink it durning band practice.. It's definitely metal playing beer.
  16. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Dood...PBR or HighLife...if they are game...give em a Lagunitas Sucks or Lil Sumpin Sumpin...pure panty dropper nectar...sometimes a FBS may even work...have fun!
  17. Asahi always asahi
  18. PBR ... Which I don't mind drinking on a hot summer day. Although I'm more apt to drink a trout slayer or Halcyon.
  19. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

Yuengling in the can
  20. Beerz

Beerz Aficionado (140) California Mar 6, 2006

A new coworker gave me a 6'r of Stella and another gave me a 6'r of Konig Pilsener for Xmas. But other than that my cheap swill is my 5 gal of Widmer Nelson Imperial IPA at about $88 or $1.60/12oz pour. Let me add that I have a toddler and an infant at home so friends don't just 'stop by' unless they know they'll get some great beer. And, all my close friends know what to expect when they come to my place.
  21. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I try not to keep cheap beer in my fridge (or else, I will drink all of them in one sitting).

For example, last weekend, I had a sixer of Union Jack and finished all of them during Seahawks game Sunday.

I do usually keep some Coors Light in the fridge (especially for my in-laws).
  22. Beerz

Beerz Aficionado (140) California Mar 6, 2006

That's too bad, dirtylou. I'm at the other end of the spectrum in that all my friends and family expect exceptional beer when they come to my place....usually stuff they haven't had but know they will enjoy.
  23. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

No cheap beer in my house. You want to come over and drink cheap beer, BYOB.
  24. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

This is the crap I keep in the fridge for my lady but she doesnt even drink it often. Our can of Four Loko is a March 2012 vintage...:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  25. ^^ blech, framboise( at least the syruppy lindemans variety) is only made decent with the addition of prosecco and lime ( LOTS OF LIME!)
    On a more serious note, in the summer time i will keep a sixer of corona minis, drink the bottle down to the just below the stem, and fill the stem with lime and sea salt. Very hydrating and a good start to any eve. It's my guilty pleasure crap beer for summertime!
    Gregfalone likes this.
  26. DonDirkA

Yeah, Lindemans is gross. She actually didn't have Framboise, she had the Apple one.... still gross...
  27. There's a couple bud lights in there right now. Had a dinner for a few friends, and one only drinks bud light. I figured a 12er of bud light cost about the same as 1 bomber of good beer, so I got my friend his favorite beer. He drank like 10 of them, left the other two here.

Ill probably use them for my wife's cheladas.

Unfortunately I've made her cheladas with a few mediocre craft beers lately (epic rye, red trolley) and now she doesn't like te cheap cheladas as much.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  28. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Savant (290) Tennessee Aug 24, 2004

In the spectrum of truly cheap beers it is tough to beat Budweiser. It is refreshing, like water, and eventually takes you to a better place. There is a nugget of somewhat balanced flavor in there: used to be a good bit more. If not Bud then Tsingtao
  29. Just their fruit flavored lambic. Some of their more serious selections are A+ in my book. The artificial flavoring and sugaring don't help!
    Gregfalone likes this.
  30. While I don't drink it myself, you can do much MUCH worse than bud! Have you ever had Beer 30? Now THAT is some nasty stuff! Tecate light, Lazer beer, Fatboy, BEER (brown can, just says beer on it), tittybeer (had pictures of titties on it) all horrible, WAY worse than bud!

I think bud gets a bad wrap. It's not so much bad as it is bland. It doesn't taste BAD, it just doesn't taste like much if anything at all
  31. DonDirkA

You made me look up their Gueze Cuvee Rene that I have seen at Total Wine a couple times and it actually has awesome reviews (91 user, 100 brothers) so I may have to give it a try. All I ever knew about Lindeman's was their shitty lambics, I'm surprised to learn they may actually know how to make a real beer.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  32. DonDirkA

[​IMG]
    Add 4% alcohol to this and its the Bud flavor people love
    acevenom and Gregfalone like this.
  33. I liked it, I wish there was a LOVE button!
    DonDirkA likes this.
  34. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Sucks is the cheapest thing I have.
  35. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

a can of coors light and a can of bud light ice i believe. i use them as ice packs when i'm cooling flasks filled with wort in my sink.
  36. I don't invite people in, is that weird? I drink with friends when I'm out with them, my wife doesn't drink at all so what's at home is whatever I want. Usually my cheap stash is either SN or Smutty, whichever is on sale in 12s that month, but right now it's OB Old Chub because I fell into a cheap case.
  37. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (325) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

If they don't like my beer they have 3 choices. Diet Coke, water, or the door.
  38. Usually have a couple Narragansett tall boys kickin around in the fridge.
  39. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Winter Storm - much cheaper than the Hopslam I just finished.
  40. JOrtt

JOrtt Savant (345) California Dec 20, 2012

Usually Fosters Oil Cans....gets right to the point and it's $2.50 a can.