1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What constitutes a whale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DocJitsu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. No beer is a whale, it is a beer.... Peoples obsession with getting to try a single beer has always blown my mind and will continue to... To me a whale is a mammal with a blow whole, fins and is usually big as a house. But besides that, I have always found that so called whales are only less avaliable then other beers that are easier to obtain and just as tasty!

Schmuck82 likes this.
  2. I just had 07 Dark Lord the other day at a tasting. It tastes freaking awesome.

3. Any beer that makes you go broke as a joke.

4. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

An algorithm

robwestcott likes this.
  5. A whale is any beer that you waste valuable time obsessing over while passing up the chance to drink amazing local beer that is readily available.

Savage1005 likes this.
  6. Is it a pain in the dick to get? Yes, than its a fucking whale!

7. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

If you kiss a bottle of beer after obtaining it, it might be a whale
    If you lurk in the ISO:FT section looking for pictures of a beer, it might be a whale
    If you obtain a beer and never drink it because it's so rare, you might be forgetting what beer is for

brikelly, RStang13 and DocJitsu like this.
  8. If drinking a beer and posting about it on BA increases your e-peen, it's a whale.

9. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Yeah, add this to the definition of a whale - while looking for a whale (and sitting in a darkened room, doing nothing but obsessing over it, sadly, by yourself), it is impossible to buy, drink and enjoy other beer, particularly if it is made near you. Any beer that you could want that is hard to get (a potential whale), is not a true whale if you accidentally lose focus and enjoy another, easier to get local beer during that time period.

10. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (290) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

this

11. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Whales vary on individual opinions, no doubt.

I like to use the "Whale" term to irritate beer snobs occasionally'! :)

12. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (450) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

A beer that causes a trader to laugh at the suggestion of a $4$ or 1:1 trade.

When it comes down to it, it's all relative.