1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What craft beers are brewed in Upstate NY?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by fx20736, Feb 18, 2013.

1. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

I bought a 6 of Honkers and noticed it was brewed in Baldwinsville, NY (Syracuse) which is just 90 miles from me. I know FX brewery in Utica which is 45 minutes to the East of Syracuse does alot of Contract Brewing. Here in Rochester Genesee Brewey brews all sorts of beers from Magic Hat to Blue Point.

Does anyone have a list of all the beers brewed under contract at these three breweries?

2. Baldwinsville, NY is the Anheuser Busch plant.

A list of all the contract-brewed beers, as well as the regular releases, coming out of Matt, Genesee and AB would be quite an undertaking.

3. Matt brewing co (Saranac) is in Utica.

4. Ommegang in Oneonta, Ithaca Brewing in.. Ithaca and Crossroads in Athens are great ones

5. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Savant (405) New York Nov 20, 2008

Showin some west henrietta love....

I remember on the Saranac tour they mentioned brewing the smaller Brooklyn brews.

Mediczod likes this.
  6. fx20736

You live in West Henrietta?

CloudStrife likes this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Long time Upstater here (Williamson, about 20 miles east of ROC). CustomBrewcrafters is in Honeoye Falls. Cooperstown Brewing is just down the road from Ommegang. Wagners has a beautiful spot on the east side of Seneca Lake. Roosterfish in Watkins Glen is OK. There's a new brewery in Fairport called Lift Bridge. There's a bunch of others too: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/9/US/NY

8. fx20736

The title of my post is a bit misleading. I should have titled it; "Which craft beers are brewed under contract at the AB Inbev plant in Baldwinsville, the Matt FX brewery in Utica and the Genesee Brewery in Rochester. I think people might be surprised at the variety of beers being brewed by these 3 breweries.

9. BeerBucks

BeerBucks Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2012

There is a brewery where I live called Naked Dove. They make a brew called 45 Fathoms Porter. I would put it up against any American Porter, and I've had Everett, Twilight of the Idols, Eddy Fitz, and VAS.

10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Include Olde Saratoga and you would have quite the crazy list of beers my friend. Good luck compiling it, post when you are done. Next year.

merc7186 and kuhndog like this.
  11. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I'm an Irondequoit boy that used to drive by the Genesee plant on St. Paul St. every day when I worked in downtown Rochester from '89-97. Been in the Tampa area since then. Cigar City for the win. ;)

Mediczod likes this.
  12. I just took the FXMatt tour on Sat. They mainly brew Saranac, Lake Placid, Brooklyn. I cant remember if they listed any other much smaller brands so that's it. They also made a point of saying they were the first Sam Adams brewery but they moved to a much bigger facility. To that point, I think it's a stretch (laugh) to call Sam Adams a craft brewer anymore. It's just as much a stretch to call GI craft now too as it's now brewed in a monster plant alongside all the other AB Inbev brands

13. Son of a b.... I live in West Henrietta as well

14. CloudStrife

Cant wait to check them out in 47 days!

15. Custom Brewcrafters in Honeyoe Falls makes some pretty good stuff. Rohrbach's also brews some really nice stuff.

16. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Ommegang is in Cooperstown.

vonnegut21 likes this.
  17. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

My bottle of Spider Bite's Boris the Spider says "Brewed and Bottle by Spider Bite Beer Co. Milford, New York," which would be Cooperstown Brewing.

Mediczod likes this.
  18. CloudStrife

Its a party! And thank you for serving our community.

Mediczod likes this.
  19. CloudStrife

Try the new Red Rhino Imperial Lager? On tap up at Jeffery's. Its ok, a little too malt forward for my likes but a good biscuity lager quality. And its strong :)

Mediczod likes this.
  20. I wanted to go to CB for the unveiling of this, but I had to work that night. Have you been to Victoire downtown yet? If you like Belgian beer, its the place to go. I'm a regular there.

21. Matt did brew some Samuel Adams brands briefly in the '90's, but they certainly weren't the first- that title goes to Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (Iron City).

Sure they didn't say they were first to contract-brew Blue Moon? That is the case, and Coors later did move it to the much larger Memphis brewery they bought from Stroh (via Schliz).

Matt was the brewer of the first notable "contract-brewed craft beer" - New Amsterdam Amber Beer, which was released 2 or 3 years before Samuel Adams.

Why "anymore"? The vast percentage of Samuel Adams production was ALWAYS brewed at larger "pre-craft" old line breweries - Pittsburgh, Heileman's Blitz-Weinhard, Stroh, Genesee, Matt, Hudepohl-Schoenling, Miller. The Boston facility wasn't created until several years after BBC's beers first hit the shelves, and it's always been a tiny "pilot" brewery. The two production breweries BBC runs today - in Cincinnati and eastern PA - were likewise built as pre-craft breweries, by Schoenling and Schaefer, respectively.

22. Anheuser Busch has done very little contract-brewing (the only one I can think of was that "Ray Hill Lager" but that was probably just in St. Louis and has since ended). They do brew a number of "faux craft" brands using dba's, and some ABInBev owned labels like Beck's, Goose Island, Bass and Alexander Keith - the latter three brands have been done in Baldwinsville.

F. X. Matt has done scores of contract beers in the past 30+ years (as noted above, they were pretty much the first contract brewer with New Amsterdam). Besides the ones mentioned already like Blue Moon and Brooklyn, in the last few years they've done Haffenreffer Private Stock, Mississippi Mud, Southampton, McSorley's, Cisco, Long Trail, and canned Harpoon that was brewed at the ex-Catamount Harpoon VT brewery and shipped in bulk to Utica.

Genesee was doing a lot of east coast Samuel Adams until NAB took over and the contract ended (in a lawsuit) a few years back now. They do the East Coast Beer Co. contract beers, NAB's own Labatt (non-Canadian brands), Magic Hat, Pyramid and Dundee beers, and most of the Winery Exchange/World Brews private label beers (other than the imports) - to see them all, click on the pull-down menu labeled "SELECT A BRAND TO LEARN MORE".

Again, like Matt, almost too many to mention (or, at least, to remember) over the past few decades - pretty much, if you see "Utica, NY" or "Rochester, NY" on a beer label, it's from Matt or Genesee.

beastmammoth likes this.
  23. fx20736

Thanks for this. You are quite a resource for Beer Advocate.

24. Kiwi

Kiwi Aficionado (205) New York Mar 15, 2004

A couple more comments- Narragansett beer was brewed at Gennesee Beer Co for a while and the beer advocate list of NY craft breweries omits Bacchus Brewing in Dryden NY

25. I dont think that Middle Ages brewery in Syracuse has been mentioned yet.

beertunes likes this.
  26. MEW

MEW Savant (445) Colorado May 29, 2012

There's so little going on in Oneonta that us locals can pretend Ommegang brews there... ;-)

27. MEW

MEW Savant (445) Colorado May 29, 2012

So many ROC folks here, and as a grad of UofR, I support this... but let's bring things a little bit more South Central (besides Ommegang): Butternuts! Uh.... yeah... that's it. I hear there's wineries around, too... :)

28. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

FX Matt isn't the only Lake Placid contract brewer. The latest keg of Lake Placid UBU I came across the other day was brewed in Middlebury, VT (Otter Creek). As far as the OP's question I guess you could put that in the "What upstate NY craft brews are not brewed in NY" category.

29. The bulk of Narragansett beer still are brewed at Genesee from what I see- certainly all the current and seasonals in 16 oz. cans (in NJ, at least). Some 'Gansett has been brewed at City's Latrobe, PA brewery (ex-Rolling Rock) and various small NE craft breweries (Cottrell, Buzzard's Bay).

fx20736 likes this.
  30. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

I did have a Founders Centennial at Rail Benders my last time in town. A vast improvement from what I can remember.

MEW likes this.
  31. We are brewed in Upstate. We contract through Custom Brewcrafters.

fx20736 and Mediczod like this.
  32. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I don't think Middle Ages has anyone contract brew their beer.

33. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

Horseheads and Two Goats.
    Fairport Brewing makes some good beer but they are way too small but they brew thier own beer on a 10 or 15 gallon system.