1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What do you consider a good "cheapie" option for a craft bar to serve?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKBassist, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Overheard a discussion at work where a coworker, who claimed to like good beer, was upset that the bar he was at didn't have anything below the $6 pricepoint for him to drink. This got me to thinking about craft bars that do offer a cheapie option. Around here, the go to seems to be cans of Narragansett for $4. I think this is perfectly fine. I've also seen bottles of Session at reputable spots around the city.

Do you think craft bars should have a cheap option, and if so, what do you think it should be?

PyramidAnyone likes this.
  2. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

sierra nevada pale ale

3. stone or lagunitas IPA

4. SirDirkDiggler77

SirDirkDiggler77 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013

Genny cream is always available at my local craft bar. 3.50 a pint.

fx20736 likes this.
  5. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

we usually have Allagash White or Lag IPA for 5 bucks

kojevergas likes this.
  6. This. $12.99 12 packs almost anywhere.
    Lagunitas isn't exactly cheaper... Nor is Stone.

7. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I love me some cask beers, but in the States they seem to be way over priced. $6-7 being the norm. I remember in the UK, cask was pretty much universally the better beer than the crap macros, and was cheaper. Anyway, if I find things like Live Oak Hefe, or 512 Pecan Porter for more than $5 that is a rip off. 5 for regular year round stuff, and a bit more for the specialties and one offs. To much otherwise.

8. RJLarse

RJLarse Advocate (720) Washington Dec 30, 2005

I'm wondering what you are getting for $6? Almost everything around here is less than that. $4.50 is the going rate, which includes most of the Washington, Oregon, California craft brews, sometimes up to $5. The occasional $5.50 can be found. but $6 would be something special. I guess I can count my blessings and my George Washingtons I don't live/drink in NY?

For me the cheap yet acceptable are the Henry Weinhard line. The Pyramid line works. Session (Full Sail) would do in a pinch.

9. Are you makin' fun of me?

ggfunk, YogiBeer, beerme411 and 4 others like this.
  10. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Yeah welcome to NYC pricing. Standard BMc is generally $4-5. Crafts usually start at $5-7, and it's not unusual to see things go into $8-12 territory, especially as the ABV gets higher. There is a place here that has a great selection, terrible bartenders and an awful atmosphere that gets away with having it's prices start at $8 for standard fare like Capt Lawrence, Sixpoint, etc (local brews even!), and anything Belgian/high ABV gets poured seemingly at random volumes for $12. Needless to say I don't frequent that establishment unless they have something I really want.

The good places (Top Hops, Good Beer) tend to be bottle shops\growler bars that keep things in the $5-7 range.

11. I can literally walk down the street to 6 casual eateries that all serve craft drafts at 3-4.
    2 for Lunch and Happy Hour.

12. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Smutty Finestkind and Robust Porter tend to be the cheaper options back home (other than PBR). I can get Gansett for two bucks around here at most bars, but I don't.

13. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (300) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Tons of places in Seattle that sell craft brews for $4-$5 /pint.

14. I sell Stone for $6, Purple Haze, Session btls, Dales cans, etc for $5. Most other taps are from $6 (Local or regional) to $10 (Chimay, 10+%ers). But for Happy Hour all taps are $5

15. Anyone who charges you more than $6 for a pint of SNPA is not worthy of your dollars.

16. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Most craft beers around me are $6, happy hour special $4 (talking draft). The diner I went to tonight had ALOT, and only 10-20% mark up. So where as a HopBack for $4 wasnt the best buy, a Dogfish Head WWS for $9 was AWESEOME. (120 min for $16 but WWS for $9 didn't make sense)

So a 'cheapie' would be a DFH 6 min for $2

17. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

I think Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is an excellent option, I would also suggest Bell's Two Hearted, a lot of people seem
    to like that and there are a couple of 'regular' bars in my area that serve it quite cheap. Personally I think no matter where you are, a bar that serves craft beer should always have a cheap, local pale ale or something made in the area.

mecummins likes this.
  18. I consider Henry Weinhard's to be a cheapie, but its one of my favorite cheapies!

19. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

Generally is a local, fairly high output brewery, being in VT we usually see things like Long Trail, Magic Hat, Otter Creek and Harpoon as the cheapies ($2.50/pint happy hour is the cheapest I think I've seen). Normal prices usually range from $3.50-$5/pint

20. Sessions for 5? most of the bars where i live sell it for 2-3!:cool: I'm not too impressed with sessions, it reminds me of all the other bmc options out there.

21. david23

david23 Savant (260) New York Feb 27, 2004

Here in Rochester Genesee Bock has just been released so the pre-spring ritual is hoisting a couple pints of the local brew. At $2.00 a pint on Friday at a local bar I can deal with it.

VonWeissenheimer and Vonstein15 like this.
  22. SNPA or Sam Adams Boston Lager.

23. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

Dale's Pale

I live in the Burbs outside of DC and I can relate. I will not go into the city because Amstel is $7... but out in northern VA you can generally find any SN offering for less than 6 and almost any pale ale. find some places with happy hours. I know those generally are for BMC but some might have a craft offering

Casedogg43 likes this.
  24. I find that here in VT a number of beer locations are starting to carry less celebrabrated craft beers at reasonable prices. Decent brews pretty cheap. That's a win/win in my book, cheap beer and exposure for the smaller breweries.

25. I would say Lagunitas, Brooklyn or Flying Dog. All reasonably priced 6 packs and should be reasonably priced on tap.

26. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

hey fellow NY'er.
    black boss porter is a good stand by. A single bottle is something like $3.50 at my local (LI) bev center.
    Actually, my bev center has a giant rack of single (generally 12 oz) craft bottles for $2.50-$6 each.
    At a bar, nada. not by me. a pint of craft drawn from a tap generally begins at $7. Bottles are 8+.

27. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Good locals.

If you have Naragansett I would go with that every time.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  28. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Blue Moon, Shock Top, etc...

29. He said cheapie not crappy :p

JohnnyMc, 5thOhio, Flight0011 and 2 others like this.
  30. Gansett gets the nod around my place too. This bums me out because, when out at a bar, I prefer to have more sessionable beers (that don't leave me broke). Gansett is fine, but I am not that big of a fan. I wish there were more inexpensive session beers available on tap.

31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ding ding!
    I'm going to echo the comments of Lagunita's...their price point is right on. Also most year round Bell's products come in at no more than $40 a case, so that should put in the right ball park.

32. New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, BBC/Sam Adams all make a wide range of good quality lower-priced craft beer. I'd be happy to see just about anything from them on tap as a cheap option.

33. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Fuller's London Pride.

onefalsemove711 and fx20736 like this.
  34. Not sure about its keg price (its the lowest craft six pack price in my area @ $8.99), but i would be happy to drink Widmer Drifter at $5 /pint at a bar.

If Narraganset made its summer ale available all year, I would say that.

35. Your profile indicates you are from Brooklyn and I presume you work somewhere in NYC. If your co-worker is getting $6 pints anywhere in the 5 boroughs of NYC, I consider $6 a "cheapie" option.

SoggyCoasters likes this.
  36. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

At the very least put the aging keg of IPA or APA at a discount for $3-$5/pint

37. Anchor Steam.

onefalsemove711 likes this.
  38. Prima Pils

39. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think if I was out and the price point was making the decision for me instead of the desire particular beer, I'd look more for a brewery that I trusted. For example I'd drink anything from Lagunitas. I'd also be more willing to give an unknown local brewery a chance at that price point.

Casedogg43 and devlishdamsel like this.
  40. Long Trail...good staple in my fridge.