1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What do you cook with Berlinerweiss?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by pweis909, Jan 14, 2013.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I have about a case of homebrewed Berlinerweiss that was made with some homegrown grapes (the grapes are pretty subtle). I've use it in a carbonade flamande-type dish and tonight blended it with a pesto sauce to toss with chicken and pasta. The tanginess seems to compliment browned meat; it's nice for deglazing a pan. Curious how you have used Berlinerweiss in cooking.

2. I drink every Berlinerweisse that I can get my hands on, I usually use Cuvee Renee for cooking.

oldp0rt likes this.
  3. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

And how do you use Cuvee Renee? I'm looking for some ideas. Thanks!

4. Witbiers, saisons or berliners in my mussels instead of wine for certain recipes

5. Carbonade as you had mentioned, I have stewed rabbit in it (lapin A La Gueuze). I have used it to make Carnitas as it gives the pork a little bit of tang. It makes a pretty good float with ginger ice cream.

pweis909 likes this.
  6. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (330) California Nov 21, 2008

I haven't cooked with a Berliner per say, however, I did have it paired with a shrimp roll slider. The tartness cut through the creaminess of the bernaise sauce very nicely, cheers!

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (565) Missouri May 11, 2012

Steaming any sort of shellfish in berliner is a good bet

pweis909 likes this.
  8. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Brats and mussels

pweis909 likes this.
  9. Salad dressing or the maybe in a oil/vinegar style coleslaw. I think this way you could keep more of the beer's flavor that is relatively delicate. I also think making a gastrique out of it for fish would be fantastic.