1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What do you do with beer you don't like?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Andygirl, Jan 27, 2013.

1. two things
    kill slugs in the garden with it
    cook with it
  2. ? What if its just a vile beer, not necessarily an improperly stored beer that has gone bad but a beer that was not formulated correctly due to improper chemistry or bad brewing practices?
  3. Strafefire

Strafefire Aspirant (25) Jan 27, 2013

Had this problem with a ten bottle pack of Wychwood Forest Fruit beer at Christmas. No clue what they were trying to achieve, make alcoholic raspberry vinegerette is the winning bet so far.

Passed it on to my little brother on Christmas day after he polished off the last of the Kraken rum, and I just cracked on with the box of Budvar Dark. A merry Christmas was had by all.
  4. e9cheef

e9cheef Aspirant (25) Jan 27, 2013

Act like an Immature, masculine guy of 74 years old and drink it. You may die tomorrow.
  5. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Well, you've already tried giving it away to friends, so I won 't suggest taking it to a Super Bowl party next week (guess I just did anyway.). Are there any sort of clubs around you, like a VFW or a church who might be having a Super Bowl party? I'll bet they would be happy for a donation.
  6. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I found a local BA to take it off my hands!
    MichPaul, SammyJaxxxx, JxExM and 2 others like this.
  7. davek72

davek72 Aficionado (125) Iowa Oct 23, 2012

I had that problem with a couple of cans (yes cans) and a few bottles. I gave them to my brother and asked his opinion. He's the guy that introduced me to good beers! Sorry bro! Still love you man! :-D
  8. Andygirl

Seriously, you sound just like my dad. If it is you, bring me up some Cigar City when you come back. :D
    MichPaul likes this.
  9. I've got a shelf in my fridge I've designated as "roommates may drink any beer on this shelf." Problem takes care of itself.
  10. Andygirl

My roommate is pickier than me, so that hasn't helped.
  11. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

I tried the slug bait thing last spring with some unwanted Blue Moon. The slugs left threatening notes on my door...
  12. Dude...WTF is wrong with you? Bring it to a party whereas you're looked at as the guy who HOOKED IT UP, and leave it there...giving the facade that your generous and likeable. ;-)

Although I've never bought "cases" of beer I didn't care for.
    JxExM likes this.
  13. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

I'd bathe in it...
    JxExM likes this.
  14. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

I drink it, or my wife will bake/cook with it. But I've never purchased 2, let alone 1, case of anything I haven't tried before to know whether or not I like it.
    RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  15. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Andygirl is a she bro
    JxExM likes this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I give tons of beer away to friends, that's the ticket.
  17. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

is this a trick question?
  18. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Cook with it.
  19. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I give it to my son and his friends in college. They'll drink anything!
  20. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

This and as I read it, she doesn't have cases of 1 beer she dislikes. She had several beers she didn't care for, knew she wasn't going to enjoy and they added up to a large quantity - might even been 2 cases worth.
    And having read the posts - it appears she has donated them to another BA here who will take/use and enjoy them.

No harm, no foul.
  21. I don't think I've ever had cases of beer that I wouldn't drink but I've probably accumulated a 12-pack at a time over the course of a few months. I tend to host several BBQs and cookouts over the summer and a number of parties over the fall-winter-spring. My parties are always BYOB and some beer always gets left behind, often stuff I wouldn't drink but almost always craft and/or faux-craft. I usually just leave it out in the beer bucket when people are over and it eventually gets gone. For the non-craft stuff, I just use it to cook with.
  22. So....You've never made that comment out of habit whether a girl or a guy? I'm all about equal treatment here on BA. Remember...nice guys finish last.
  23. Andygirl

I don't have cases of any one beer I don't like. There are no singles shops near me so I buy a 4 or 6. If I decide I don't like it then I try and pass it off on one of the guys on poker night. Since they are all afraid of anything darker than water, it sits here. Since letting beer just sit ruins my storage capacity for stuff I do like, I am giving it to a fellow BA who I am sure will think I am generous and likeable when he drives away with 2 cases of beer.
  24. Bear1964

Bear1964 Savant (305) Nebraska Dec 12, 2012

Agree with that, mix-a-six rocks and I do it as often as I can!
  25. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Either bring it to the next party you're invited to or cook with it. beer makes a damn fine brine for pulled pork. :)
  26. assman79

assman79 Savant (455) Wisconsin May 30, 2009

I yell at it and tell it how dissapointed in it i am. Then i make it sit in a corner and face the wall.
  27. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

drink it..............
  28. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Why would u buy 2 cases of something before u know if u like it or not? I would either bring it to a party or include as extras with various trades
    kojevergas likes this.
  29. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I drink it. But then, as some have noted, I do not buy lots of one type of beer without knowing full well that I like it.
  30. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Start a LIF or start trading and use the non-IPA stuff as extras?
  31. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I'm assuming some of you haven't read the posts - she didn't buy 2 cases of Clamato - she bought various 6 packs as it was available to her to try - some she liked, others she didn't. Those ended up in the "pile of beer I don't like" and it adds up to 2 cases worth of beer which she's given to another BA for their enjoyment.
    AnotherImperial and Envelopes like this.
  32. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Either drink them as a night cap for a good buzz, or stop buying beer just cause.

I mean seriously, how could you have 2 CASES of beer you don't like? Do you even know what you like?

Edit: don't meanto sound like a dick. Any atores have a mix a six nearby? I mean I drink a new beer every night, and even at that rate it'd take years to fill 2 cases
  33. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (465) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

Use them to have broken bottle fights with my friends and finish what's left to drink the pain away. Actually, I just give them to my little brother and his friends. Frankly, the amount of alcohol they can put away scares me.
  34. Oh goodness AG....well you know I already love Well's Banana Bread based on that thread it was mentioned in before.
    Shorts Woodmaster is solid, but IMO, Sam Adams version may have beat it out.
    Arcadia Coco Loco was ok, nothing special to me either.
    Hopslam...I wouldn't even buy. Hoppyness, no thanks!

Funny how different folks are though, on BA.
  35. Power through until you have crushed every can and bottle. Repeat.
  36. If you're looking to cook with it, I recommend checking out the Homebrew Chef's website. He has a great collection of recipes for almost every style.
  37. Festina Peche isn't really a Berliner...
  38. Touche.
  39. Andygirl

I do not have a singles shop near me. I am trying to expand beyond the same style of beer that has been my go to style for years, some don't suit me. What's the issue?
  40. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Tick one and then pass the rest off to friends who don't know any better. Of course they will feel obliged to return the favor next time we're out for a drink.
    ChefHopMeister likes this.