1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What do you do with beer you don't like?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Andygirl, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Everyone give this lady a thousand kudos for driving to meet up with me at Kuhnhenn's in some really awful weather. She really wasn't kidding about two cases! She was kind enough to gift me eight bottles of fresh Hopslam, an assortment of rarer Short's, Arcadia, and Kuhnhenn among others.

She is exactly what a Beer Advocate should show when you look it up on Wikipedia. Cheers!
  2. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Save it for company. Someone will give it a try.
  3. Making light of homeless people is pathetic.
  4. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

5. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

First off why are there so many extras of beers you don't like, buy a single bottle. Secondly what styles do you like? I see Stouts, fruit beer, ipa, barleywines, brown ale, ripa.... Many of which are decent representations of the style. Is there any particular beer that you are in love with? For the future I would say stick to what you know you like because it seems there is a lot you don't and don't buy six packs... buy one bottle. For the remainder of the beer host a tasting with some of your friends who do or don't appreciate beer. Maybe you can bring someone to the dark side.... and make it a contest, 3 votes per person and see who the champ is.
  6. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (490) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

Would you like to yell at the moon with Buzz Aldrin?
  7. I think reading this has proven that people don't actually read threads. She clearly stated a couple of times that she doesn't have any shops around her that carry singles, and so she is forced to go with a six or four pack when trying many new things.

Now as to why she doesnt like those particular beers, I can't be sure exactly. However, I can say that I am a luckier man that she doesn't. ;)
    teal and AnotherImperial like this.
  8. If you want to pay the favor foward, you could always send me a Hopslam or two. Just offerring...
    Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  9. buy a still and make moonshine out of it. Thats what I do. waste nothing
  10. RevLeonidas

RevLeonidas Initiate (15) Jan 28, 2013

A healthy lawn loves a drink of beer! The grass gets greener and healthier on bad beer; in fact, beer is part of my regular lawn feedin tonic.
  11. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I am picky, OK? This is why I am at BA and not getting a case of Bud.

I love Sucks and don't like Hopslam. I love stout but all the chocolate stouts smell like a tootsie roll to me and I can't drink beer that smells like that. If it's super heavy I probably love it. BB4D I love. Edmund Fitzgerald I love. I have like 90 kinds of local beer I like alot, in Micigan I can afford to be picky.

I am also allergic to nuts and some of the beers are brewed with them, so no I will not drink those.
  12. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I drink it and complain on BA about it afterwards.
  13. Mix it all together, slap a name on it and voila! you're an official beer blender.
  14. 1.) Hospitality beer a.k.a "Would you like a beer?"
    2.) Marinating/cooking applications
    3.) Drain pour and put on the do not purchase again list
  15. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Our group once had a person bring a case of Keystone Light which nobody touched, it became a white elephant that would get snuck into each others garages or closets when nobody was looking. I think it's still out there ten years later waiting for one of us to finally get around to cleaning the garage and "discover" it again. (Thank Ghod I moved several hundred miles away, but that may not deter some of them)
    RockAZ likes this.
  16. Andygirl

We actually do that with a really creepy Notre Dame garden gnome. :D
  17. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Savant (330) New York Dec 16, 2009

Give it away - you never know.
  18. Andygirl

It's long gone.
  19. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I don't really buy beers I don't like. Most times I'm looking for credible brews from credible brewers. I may blindly buy a new offering from Sierra Nevada, Great Divide, Founders, etc, but I'm not likely to grab a six pack of Joe Blow's Brewing Pineapple Butterscotch Green Chile Licorice Cactus Ale. But...When I was a craft noob, I drank 'em even if I didn't dig 'em.
    FishAndBeer likes this.
  20. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

As it turns out you seem to have done exactly the right thing with these orphaned brews.

Brava.
  21. My kitchen sink is an alchoholic!
  22. Correction, I only drain pour what I'm trying and don't like. If I have more bottles of the same, I give them to the guy who maintains my aquariums!
  23. Almost any beer that I dont like, I will consume it via my food hole, process it with my liver to extract the drugs from it, and then desposit it into the sewer
  24. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Glad you have found a home for those orphaned beers, although a few on that list surprised me that your local crew would not down them for you. Always, cooking with unwanted beers is an option, as a dozen others on this thread have pointed out - if the recipe calls for any amount of water use the beer, and for beef/chicken stock you can use at least half the amount as beer instead. There is something satisfying in watching BMC beer reduce to a sticky sauce,...
  25. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Seriously? Those are some nice beers. Just drink em!!

Cheers!
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Give it away. For some reason I bought a six pack of magic hat number nine when it hit the shelves in denver for gabf. I just gave away the five I didn't drink last week. Find someone at work who just wants to get trashed, they don't care if its brewed with dog hair instead of hops.
  27. Drink it after you've had a good amount of beers you do like. or give it to someone who may like it
  28. hansgruber

hansgruber Savant (325) Indiana Feb 14, 2008

I give my dad any random bottles that I know I won't drink and he will, but aren't past their prime. Also give him other things like 2012 BCBS. He appreciates them all as he buys the stuff too. They're a nice break from his standby Busch Light :/
  29. terrapinmark

terrapinmark Zealot (85) Ohio Sep 23, 2010

I usually just give it away!
  30. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

That's easy.... I give beer I don't like to friends I don't like. A win-win.
  31. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (485) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

I never let anything (food or drink) go to waste, I'll consume just about anything that was intended for consumption. I like to think of myself as a human garbage disposal.
  32. ImageFX

ImageFX Aficionado (120) Florida Jan 29, 2013

I turn it into my temporary ashtray
    FishAndBeer likes this.
  33. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Southern tier stout is a 22oz bottle, don't think most shops make you buy a case... And there is a speedway by my house that sells single bottles, something tells me that if a shop is getting woodmaster/cereal killer/imperial stout that they more then likely sell single bottles or there is a place near by that does.
  34. ST 2x Stout is only sold in 12oz bottles around here. And as to the second point, it's really hard to side with your pure assumption against her stated experience.
  35. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

And how many times did she clearly say it was a mixed bag, not a case of one beer? I sure hope this lady has a sense of humor. Looks like there was a very satisfactory conclusion to this. Beer was ultimately shared and fronds were made.
  36. I drink it. I've had plenty of beers I didn't like but I've never had one so bad that I've poured it out. I read so many posts on these forums about people pouring out beer after one or two sips, and that's mind boggling to me.
  37. Plan A: Drink 6-8 good beers, then mix in the beer you don't like. Hopefully by then your tastebuds are smashed, your memory had faded, your girl looks like the Homecoming Queen, and you can't tell the diffference....or don't care.

Plan B: Not one, but two of my brother-in-laws will drink ANYTHING. God bless them.
  38. I usually just drink them even if I don't particularly like them. I hardly ever buy more than 1 or 2 bottles of something when I'm trying it for the first time so it's not that big of a deal to just finish it. Although at the same time I don't think I've bought any craft beer that I've hated.
  39. Why would you have these in your possession then?
  40. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

That is friends, not fronds...maybe obviously.