1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What do you do with your bottle caps

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Jacksonsbeerreviews, Jun 25, 2012.

1. I am collecting all the bottle caps of the beer i drink and am planning on making a bar counter out of them or a sign or something. what do you do with your caps
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Magnets on Kegerator.
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  3. I save all of the ones I don't have duplicates of. I plan on doing something similar. Possibly a tabletop or something, with a clear epoxy coat over them.
  4. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Nail them upside down on a 24" x 18" piece of wood to scrape yer boots on.
    leedorham likes this.
  5. leedorham

That's a good idea. I wear out my boot scrapers constantly and need a cheap way to redo the scraping surface. Looking forward to at least a good hour of scraping when I get home from work.
  6. I save the most attractive caps for a future project. I have been saving the following

Terrapin
    Hopslam
    Echt Kriekenbier
    GI
    Bruery
    FFF
    DFH vintage beers (green caps)

any thoughts on other sweet caps?
  7. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Recycle!
    steveh likes this.
  8. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

That's great. I actually LOLed!
  9. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I have them saved in mason jars, and have no idea why.
  10. I save mine for a "future project". Honestly though, I'll probably never get around to actually doing it. So there they sit collecting dust in the workshop in a 5 gallon water jug.
    vrbulldog22 likes this.
  11. I glue little round magnets to them and decorate the fridge with them. Gotta pretty good collection going at this point!
    El_Zilcho and tacosandbeer like this.
  12. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) New York Mar 24, 2011

there's a bar by me that framed their bathroom mirrors with caps. it actually looks pretty cool.

EDIT: drunk idiots do pry them off from time to time but if you put it in your home i doubt you'd run into that problem.
  13. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

I regret selling 500 different caps last year at a yard sale.
  14. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I either throw them away or put them in a desk drawer. I have no intention of doing anything with them, but I keep adding the "collection".
  15. Save them for the 100th day of school project when the kids have to bring in 100 of something. :)
    Ungertaker, Msquared2 and klaybie like this.
  16. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

This is what I do, I got the idea when someone in an exchange sent me some. Hey how do you make these I wondered... Easy

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-and-simple-bottle-cap-magnets/

Got a pretty decent collection going lately also.
    Treyliff and sjantiflow like this.
  17. leedorham

The magnets I buy you don't need glue. They stick by themselves like magic.
    jesskidden likes this.
  18. Pinterest them.
  19. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I sell them on eBay, complete with the bottle and contents they came with.

! The value of the item is in the collectible bottle cap, not what's underneath it.
    - The bottle cap has not been removed and any incidental contents of the bottle are not intended for consumption.
    - The bottle cap is not available at any retail outlet, and the item has a value that substantially exceeds the current retail price of the alcohol in the container.
    - The seller will take all appropriate steps to ensure the the buyer is of lawful age in the buyer and sellers jurisdiction (generally 21 years of age).
    - Buyers and sellers both ensure that the sale complies with all laws and shipping regulations.
    sharpski likes this.
  20. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Easier to throw into the recycle bin (whether or not you want to save the mason jar).
  21. flick them with my thumb to see if i can beat my old record of distance traveled
  22. I keep all my cantillon caps to make a table top.
  23. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Toss them all into a glass pitcher. When it fills up, I dump it in the trash and start over.
  24. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I throw them away, one of my hobbies is filling landfills with small round metal objects.
    flayedandskinned likes this.
  25. Glue push pins to them and put them up on a large cork board as a sort of collage.
  26. I put 3/4" x 36" thin strips of steel that I picked up at Lowes all the way around the ceiling and bordering a couple of doors in the bar. I got a couple hundred small round magnets at a craft store. Every time I drink something new, I slip a magnet in the back of the cap and add it to the border. I probably have about 8 linear feet so far; looks pretty cool.
  27. I have an overhead furnace duct in my man cave that needs to be decorated on the underside, so I'm planning to paint it black and then convert all of my caps to magnets. The duct is about 4' x 15' so I'm going to need a lot more caps than what I have now. (I estimate that I have 800 now, and I've been saving for about two years.) At one cap per one square inch I'd need 8,640 caps, but I'm not going to place them that close together. At least not until I've drank enough to petrify my liver. ;)
  28. I keep all the caps I have in a year and then at the end of the year, I count up which brewery I drank the most that year. Then, I throw them out. Not particularly crafty or handy on my end. I guess if anyone ever wanted my caps, they could let me know. I'd be happy to oblige.
  29. I will add that with labels that I like, my wife removes them from the bottle and turns them into magnets for my beer fridge.
  30. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

drop them in a beer bucket...one of those often seen in bars for peanut shell collectiong..or even used for a "bucket of coronas for $11"... seems to work..
  31. canoale

canoale Aficionado (175) Ohio Apr 9, 2010

For the bicycling beer geek . You can put a 1" round mirror inside the cap , but first drill a hole through the edge of the cap to run a spoke through, bend other end of spoke to fit eyeglasses or helmet. Glue with jb weld or epoxy . If I can ever post a pic I will try. They been around since the 70's but useing a bottle cap only a few years

Cheers
  32. sjantiflow

sjantiflow Zealot (75) Texas Sep 16, 2010

Bear Republic, Samuel Smiths, Pinkus, Lagunitas (I like the dog face). I'm collecting quite a few. I like the magnets idea. Maybe try and glue one onto a bottle opener.
  33. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

Went on a road trip through Wisconsin a few years backs. I used all the caps from the breweries I visited to outline a picture frame i made. The frame has pictures of my wife and I at these breweries. I'm planning on doing the same thing for CO breweries put haven't gotten around to it.
    Bierlerner and dazedandconfused like this.
  34. I like making ones by using 2 bottlecaps, they are 2 sided and thicker so theyre much easier to pick up. The only downside is that they work best with the neodymium magnets, which arent cheap. But theyre awesome, and strong enough you can toss them at the fridge and theyll stick.
  35. If anyone who tosses them wants to send then caps my way, I'll kick over a few bucks for shipping.

I have quite a few caps myself, doing the magnet thing. Will post a picture when I get a chance.

EDIT: Also looking for wooden nickels that some breweries pass out as beer tokens.
  36. barleyswine

barleyswine Aficionado (125) Kansas Feb 27, 2012

I make adventure pins. thanks fat kid from "up"
  37. HaysAmerica

HaysAmerica Aficionado (190) Kansas Jan 28, 2011

I keep mine in a basket (only really started collecting them about a year ago) to reference later when I'm old & gray to tell stories to my great, great, great grandkids. Cause yeah, I'm gonna live that long. ;) But seriously, I collect only one of each kind of beer that I've had and then will do something w/ them later. The border idea sounds good, the others are as well. Right now I just like the idea of having this basket of bottle caps and somebody comes over & asks if I like beer & I show them my collection. That always answers their question!
  38. I collect beer crowns. If anyone is tossing them out and wants to contribute to the collection... let me know. I'd be surprised if you could supply me something I don't already have in the collection.

www.BottleCrowns.net
    luwak likes this.
  39. I could send you some caps from Brazil, I bet you don't have many of those. I just don't have any laying around for now, but maybe could gather some overtime and send you if you want.
  40. BeerBum

BeerBum Aficionado (235) California Nov 13, 2012

I did this... please excuse all the non-craft caps... I'm on a college budget :/

[​IMG]