1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What do you guys think of this setup?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by AndyTaylor, Feb 29, 2012.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

For that kind of money, I think the morebeer tippy set-up is better. http://morebeer.com/view_product/8917//New_1550_Tippy_BrewSculpture

IMHO, none of these are really worth the money though. I brew using a wooden brewstand with heat shielding, a cooler mlt, and an SP10 burner. Sure it's ugly, but you couldn't improve on the quality of my beer or speed up my brew day by brewing with one of those fancy sculptures.

2. wow pretty crazy for a newbie I have been brewing for a couple years and only got my tun, and fermenter, and chiller lol but thats cool:)

3. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

I guess if you can afford $3K for a 15G system...you can afford to dump a few batches while you learn to use it.

Looks unstable...too.

4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I second that. Get a MoreBeer one if you're going to drop that much cash on a structure.

5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Sheesh, for $3000 I'd take a welding course, buy the welding equipment, build one myself, and likely have plenty left over for plenty of homebrew batches!

darklordlager likes this.
  6. HerbMeowing

Also notice how hard it would be to get it back in that garage!

7. Another vote here for the MoreBeer set-up. The MB options look far slicker and of higher build quality.

8. Thanks for the link. Can you recommend a simpler system, that would let a beginner get started quickly? Assembling something is no problem, but not wanting to build from scratch.

Can you recommend a system that is a better value?

Thanks. I'll check that out.

It has a handle on the back and two wheels, you just tip it back and wheel it in, kind of like operating a hand truck.

Honestly, I'm asking this for a friend who is thinking of buying one. My initial response was about the same as yours..but he says (and its true) that he doesn't have the time. It seems like you can either build one yourself or buy a system like this..and I guess I'm looking for a happy medium..that allows you to get started quick but isn't so high-dollar.

thanks for the input so far

9. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (380) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

"Is it worth the money?" For parts, labor, and equipment, I guess. It's really for your friend to decide, since it's not my money. If he has unlimited resources and he he wants it, tell him to get it.

15 gallons is a lot to learn lessons on for a "newbie". $3000 is a lot to spend on a new-ish hobbie. I wanted my first car to be a Lamborghini, but it was an '85 Honda accord. That doesnt mean it shouldn't be expensive, it just doesnt have to be. It just seems like a lot of money for the learning curve that will inevitably happen.

As a setup for a newbie, it's going to be a money sink if he is not immediately successful. Does he have a location for temp controlled fermentation?

This is just a suggestion, but it is Based on a pic I saw a few months ago that I saw online.

It looks like this brewer spent about $500 on a HLT (10 gal igloo cooler) and mash tun (10 gallon igloo cooler) on a stable table, on upside down milk crates, 1 march pump for sparging/transferring wort to fermenter, a burner on the ground, a brewpot of his size preference, a fermenter of his choice, an immersion chiller, and all of the little connections. Assuming your friend has a temp controlled fermentation chamber, he can spend the another $500 on batches/ingredients, and still have $2000 to put toward Europe, West Coast, East Coast, or wherever on brewery tours.

10. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) New York Mar 24, 2011

and glass and/or keg(erator)s. do you happen to know where the picture was? i'd like to see how that's laid out.

11. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (380) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

I saw it during Christmas break. I tried finding it again, but couldn't remember what I searched for. It was a combination plus or minus of "cheap, homemade, RIMS, HERMS, Sabco, brew sculpture, and possibly a few other words". Sorry.

12. HerbMeowing

I have no recommendations...altho I can say our fellow BA-sters have made some good suggestions.
    Just offering free commentary about what seems like an oversized investment for a novice brewer.

About that handle; if it does what you say it does...Archimedes would most certainly be impressed.

13. beerandcake

beerandcake Aspirant (40) Maryland Jan 31, 2012

Wow how do you clean it? I just started and spent under $200 for my setup...granted I'm missing a couple pieces but was able to brew and see if I wanted to continue.

14. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

[​IMG]
    Here's mine. A buddy built it for $400 including burners, I bought the 3 kegs from a junkyard for $35 each, so my total was around $500.
    With this system I can brew 10 gallon batches in less time than my 5 gallon batches used to, but it certainly doesn't make better beer. Temperature control during fermentation is the single thing that drastically improved my beer.
    I would suggest your friend start with an extract batch or 3 so he'll know if brewing is something he wants to drop mega-cash on.

15. I agree, why would you start with such a complex set-up? My first batch was all extract and my second(just completed tonight) was extract + specialty grains. Still, I don't know when I would think of moving to a set-up so complex.

16. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I brewed 8 years before I went to this extent

17. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

If you're going to drop 3 grand on a brew rig, I'd go a single tier route, maybe a two tier. I personally don't like the 3 tier design. Having to haul these pots up a ladder just doesn't seem practical/safe. And if you're going to use pumps to move the liquid up to the highest pot, why not just go a single tier in the first place.

And there's no harm in buying a brew sculpture as your entry into the hobby. If you have the money, go for it. It'll be a little more than you need right now, but (as long as you stick with the hobby) you'll "grow" into it.