1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What does it take to land a CBS?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Mar02x, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

Maybe this is not the right forum, but I want to ask this to the fellows who got some bottles across the pond.

So tell me what ammo should I use?

thx Mark

2. The usual Mark, Heineken old brown! Honestly no idea. I had some for Westvleteren 12.

Thijs

claaark13 likes this.
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Then again you are of that rare species that manages to get everything for Westy 12. Tuppence I say, tuppence! :p

CBS shouldn't be too hard Mark. They act all dramatic over waiting lists and stuff, but in the end it's roughly on par with Black Tuesday. Fou Foune should pretty much do it, even though it's hit the US by now. At least as part of a bigger trade, it's still fair from a $4$ perspective.

4. Have you tried to offer a SNR10?
    If you want Maple beer also try Lawsons Maple Stout.
    Some Canadian guy I know brought it over to my house once and it was brilliant.

pschul4 and Mar02x like this.
  5. Mar02x

THx guys,

For one reason or another, this thread was remove by Todd.

6. I traded CBS for a BA Speedway a couple times, seemed pretty even to me

7. Mar02x

Holy shit dude, that's a heavy gun

8. codysjb

codysjb Savant (425) Florida Jun 16, 2010

On par with BT? Unlikely from what I hear, but possible. Additionally, BT in 2012 and 2011 has been "widely" available enough to allow pretty much anyone with a computer and the knowhow to be on at 12pm on the right day to purchase it. People spent hours driving to find CBS to come up empty handed and BT is much easier to trade for right now. Fou Foune may grab it but BT certainly will not grab CBS (if it did, you would see a ton of ISO FT trades for it right now).

Coming from Europe, CBS will probably require some heavy hitters. I'd think Armand and Tommy may get it due to it not being available in the U.S. Anything by narke should manage, blabaer should get it done and SNR10 should do it as well. Fou Foune could probably be obtained without international shipping so even though it may grab CBS, if someone can get it without paying the excessive overseas shipping they are going to.

Good luck

9. funhog

funhog Savant (435) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

I did BCBS Vanilla for a CBS, FYI

10. I traded an 09 bcbs bomber, though technically I sent that bottle to someone who sent a kuhnehnn raspberry eisbock to the person that sent me the CBS.

11. Traded a CBS for Barrel Aged Yeti a little while back.

12. Hopefully you got a good bottle, I traded for a BA Yeti and it was infected.

13. For what it is worth, we popped a CBS recently and it was a shell of its former self. Very little barrel/maple character. Not a total disapointment, just not the same.

chardlogic and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  14. Very Infected unfortunately but a risk I guess we all take as traders.

15. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I traded a FouFoune for CBS last year. That was a domestic US trade.

Our tasting group didn't think too much of the Founders then.

16. Dennoman

Yeah, A&T seems like an adequate guess. I got my bottle in a trade this big that I can't even remember if it was a glorified extra or a 1:1 for one of the three A&Ts I sent out. I think Blabaer might be a little over the top, maybe a 375. I never considered CBS to be *that* big a problem, but I might be underestimating a little. It's also not as hyped as most of the other big stouts seem to be. How does the CBS release work? It's just basically a brewery-only release that gets sold out so quickly that they have to put people on a waiting list?

17. codysjb

It wasn't brewery only, it was distributed to all of founder's market. The big issue with obtaining it is the press it got and that it was only released one time. It's consistently in the top 5 "best beers" on this and most other beer review sites. As a result, people went crazy trying to get a bottle. There is no date on when (or if) it will be released next so the release from a year and a half ago is the only release. I'm not sure about in europe, but in the U.S. its almost as hyped as most other big stouts that were released one time like BCBS Rare. Its not released every year so you don't see the "where do I find X" beer threads for CBS like you do for KBS or BCBS but thats ony because the answer to where do I find CBS is nowhere atm. It's the massive awareness combined with the one limited release that makes it hard to get: Everyone wants one and its hard to obtain.
    Cheers

lucas1801 likes this.
  18. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

I had two bottles left - gave one to a friend because he's a mensch, and the other I traded for a Hardywood GBS gift pack(two bottles and two glasses), with a couple extras on my end to even out the $4$.

19. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i got one a couple months ago for some cigar city stuff...i went over $4$ but the limited availability of CBS forced me to give up some more bottles. i think i gave up marshall zhukov, moat water, and Imperial sweet stout aged in cognc barrels for 1 cbs...guy hooked me up with 2 KBS though, and he also sent me some goose isand stuff and i have to recoup later on...all in all, i made a friend and get to try a beer that is not brewed ever year. i am happy...just have to find a day to pop that bottle.

20. Mar02x

I had the CBS before and there is no way that I am going to trade insane quantities or rarer bottles for it. Thanks for all the advice though. I feel a wiser man :)

21. When CBS was worth trading for I traded BT11 for it 1 for 1 three times. I would no longer make this trade as CBS is not the beer it was, and I'd guess this is why you don't see it happening these days.

Edit: posting from my phone sucks.

Mar02x likes this.
  22. I think people value CBS higher tha BT 2011.

Anonymous1 and codysjb like this.
  23. codysjb

I guess the value of BT may have decreased slightly since 2011 due to it being released again and in bigger numbers. I don't think you could land CBS with a BT 11 or 12.

24. I agree that many people think this. I also think that many who actually care how beer tastes do not.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  25. Well I care how beer tastes, and neither black tuesday nor CBS are my thing. I have 1 BT 2011, and 1 CBS I value the CBS higher

26. If your trading for a CBS, insist on it being as fresh as possible. This is NOT a beer that I consider as aging well.

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  27. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

sadly, they've only done a big bottle release once so the OPs options are limited in terms of freshness

28. I had it both on draft, fresh and a 6 month old bottle. The draft killed it!

doopiedoopiedoo and pschul4 like this.
  29. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I drank my bottle 2 months after release and had another bottle 10 months after release. Completely agree with you! Fresh was way way better. Now if I could try it on tap.... :homer drooling sound:

30. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

I'm hoping Armbsy Abbey still has a couple of kegs kicking around for StoutFest this year. I missed out on last year's Founders Breakfast and I won't be making the same mistake this year!

31. They get new kegs of it every year I believe.

32. Dennoman

I think that's a rule of thumb for Founders. So far, what I've tasted fresh has absolutely destroyed anything aged. Would need to try more of their stuff, as I've only gotten round to their stouts and Devil Dancer TIPA.

33. How can you insist on the CBS being as fresh as possible? CBS has only been bottled once.

34. You completely missed the point. If it ain't fresh, don't trade the farm for it!

35. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

36. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Bolt Cutter has me thinking that age could do it worlds of wonder. I liked the pineapple flavor, but the heat was too much!

37. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Anyone who thinks that a CBS is near the value of Blabaer is either high or has an interest in the market thinking they're comparable bottles.

MrKennedy and aasher like this.
  38. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Hell Fou'Foune isn't either, or Vignerrone...or LP Framboise...of Cuvée St. Gilloise.

39. I so wish that was true.

40. codysjb

I don't think cbs would fetch blabaer, but in terms of getting someone to ship overseas, it takes more than whatever you could get in the u.s.