1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What does it take to land a CBS?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Mar02x, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

uh, yes. it sure should.

Gosox8787 and MrKennedy like this.
  2. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

So you're saying my CBS bottles aren't worth anything anymore? Funny that I still get decent offers for them.

brewbetter likes this.
  3. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Please say it ain't so! Opening my last one tomorrow night and hoping for a good outcome. I never had one fresh so maybe it won't matter much. :confused:

4. obligatory guy who gets offended when somebody suggests a bottle isn't worth as much as they think it is

csano likes this.
  5. GRBrew

In response to the obligatory people trying to drive the value down. I don't care either way since I am not much of a trader so my bottles are not going anywhere.

brewbetter likes this.
  6. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

You read this a lot, but if they have been stored correctly they are still great IMO. I don't have any left, but the last few I had were very good.

7. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

CBS has about the same amount of bottle variation as Lady Gaga has had different hairdos FWIW.

huskermike12 and ehammond1 like this.
  8. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

oh god dude...you just made a comparison of one of my favorite brews to that train wreck!

9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I'm THAT guy, yes. ;)

Siggy125 likes this.
  10. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

The only real consistency is that "her" package is always tightly wrapped in the same place.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  11. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I can't believe you and 400+ people still have this beer. What, are you expecting it to taste better next year? Or do you all think that if falls off even more, it'll be worth Framboos? Even stranger if a given "cellerer" is not a trader.

Jeff

sliverX likes this.
  12. GRBrew

To be honest, I still have it because I just don't go through beer that fast. I homebrew as well so I have a ton of beer on hand at all times. I have opened a bottle from time to time and still enjoy it. I don't feel the need to drink beer on someone else's schedule. Mine have been properly cellared in a wine fridge at 50-55 degrees so I'm not too worried about them.

On the trader issue, I trade from time to time but hate the shipping part of it. I will do in person when I can. Also, I am not a ticker so it limits the beers I try to get to a chosen few. Of course, I haven't landed any of those (i.e DDG and Cable Car.) Finally, I think of a cellerer as a person who likes to see what variations can come from age. I certainly do that.

ales4baldo and Siggy125 like this.
  13. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I just traded a CBS, Melange 3, a 1 BB Pt5 for a King Henry and a Big John. I may have been able to get more for it, but it was the other guys first trade so I wanted to take care of him for shipping first. Not to mention I have been trying to get a KH for quite a while to no avail.

14. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I'd love to trade my CBS for a KH, but I doubt it would ever get done. The trading value of CBS just isn't what it was. I might just open it up during the Superbowl.

15. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

FWIW I have done this trade multiple times. Pretty sure you will get a bite. When you get a good bottle of CBS it's great, but it does seem to be hit or miss in my experience.