1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What flavor of beer do you crave most often?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChanChan, Jul 15, 2013.

?

What flavor of beer do you crave most often?

1. Hoppy flavor: IPA’s, APA’s, Pale Ales, etc.

55.6%
  2. Roasty flavor: Stouts, Imperial Stouts, Porters, Imperial Porters, etc.

5.6%
  3. Coffee flavor: Stouts, Imperial Stouts, Porters, Imperial Porters, etc.

4.8%
  4. Chocolate flavor: Stouts, Imperial Stouts, Poters, Imperial Porters, etc.

2.4%
  5. Bourbon/Whiskey/Oaky flavor: Imperial Stouts, Barley Wines, Old Ales, etc.

7.3%
  6. Vinegary/tart/Oaky Flavor: Sours, Wild Ales, Flanders ales, etc.

14.5%
  7. Clove, Fruity, Banana, Bubblegum Flavor: Wheat beer, Hefeweizens, etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Malty, corn, rice: Adjunct lagers, etc.

0.8%
  9. Other.

8.9%
  1. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I have noticed that a majority of my recent beer purchases have been IPA’s. I guess I can say that my purchases have been based on the fact that hoppy flavors are what I crave most often when thinking of great beer.

So my question is, what flavor of beer do you crave most often? Do these cravings influence your beer buying pattern?
  2. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

The best beers always have it: pretzel flavor aftertaste.
    PabstJewRibbon likes this.
  3. really changes for me quite often, there for a stint like many it was all about IPAs, but after dabbling into sours lately that's what has been on my mind for beer sense. My wallet is not happy at the moment.
  4. It changes all the time. I'll go through a period where I drink copious amounts of a certain type of beer, get tired of it, and switch to something totally different. Right now I'm really into wilds/sours/funk. One of the amazing things about beer - there's always a new flavor to experience.
  5. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Beer flavored beer

am i doing this right?
    KS1297 and WelshBrewer like this.
  6. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I think that's a little pigeon-holed. There are plenty of beers of all kinds that lean to malty without adjuncts in their mix.

How about "Bready and toasty?" Even yeasty?
    Droogins, NickCaff and mdillon86 like this.
  7. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Cravings are so hard to pin down. I choose hop flavor although I am not predisposed to the citrus hops and definitely will choose a beer that is flavored with noble and british hop varieties.
    twizzard likes this.
  8. There's a certain roasty, charred aftertaste that shows up ~10-20 seconds after I sip certain imperial stouts and BA beers that I really, really like. A few examples of beers I've noticed this in are bcbs, ten fidy, backwoods bastard, and oak yeti.
  9. I'd like to see this same question asked in January and compare results.
    steveh, solo103 and Extravadanza like this.
  10. I knew the poll would swing in a vast majority toward hoppy and, while I love most styles of beer about equally, the only flavor that makes me salivate when I think of it is hops. Whenever I take a break from drinking, I never crave a hefeweizen, stout or saison but I crave the hell out of an IPA.
    ChanChan and frankthetank86 like this.
  11. I think the results would be the same as far as a majority's concerned since most of the people who frequent the forums (especially Beer Talk) are hopheads.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I crave hoppy beers the most for some reason but they aren't my favorite style.
    ChanChan likes this.
  13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't think crave is the right word. I mostly just 'require' beer.
    Scrapss likes this.
  14. You are correct that there are more hophead than anything else - the poll shows that. But I don't think that because you are a hophead, you necessarily frequent the forums more. I'd want to compare because I am curious to see if the numbers for the heavier beers [i.e. Stouts, Porters, Barleywines] increase in the winter.
  15. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

You missed sweet unroasted malt, lager beer, or yeast...
    mdillon86 likes this.
  16. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

I go through phases. When I'm in the heavier stout mood, I'm focused on coffee/chocolate stouts because I love, love coffee and chocolates (dark). With sours, I tend to gravitate towards lambics with raspberries.
    Jsteez likes this.
  17. Thebrewman

Thebrewman Disciple (70) Tennessee Aug 21, 2013

What about us amber or red lovers?
    JuicesFlowing likes this.
  18. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (530) Texas Jul 13, 2013

I said "other" because I often crave funky saisons more than anything else. Did this poll really need 3 different ways to say "I like stouts?"
    MgoJohnStamos likes this.
  19. I voted coffee, but the truth is actually caramel bomb from ambers and Americanized marzens.
    Jsteez likes this.
  20. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

ill take all of the above. really dependent on my mood.
  21. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

LOL

Malty = adjunct lagers

btw, shocking poll results. only 50% of BA's crave the hoppy. though it would be closer to 99.9ish%
  22. Jsteez

Jsteez Savant (380) China Apr 28, 2012

Great question! It depends on the time of year. I usually crave chocolate-coffee-mocha-smoky stouts/porters, along with toasty-nutty-spicy-bready-biscuity malty brown beers (or barley wines) during the fall/winter months. Once February/March/April rolls around my preference changes to more piney, earthy, herbal, citrus, rye, honey, grapefruit tasting pale ales/IPAs (perhaps more of the taste of spring). May-August my preference for American blonde ales/lagers, pils, amber ales, and kolsch style ales increases. I'd say the spring and fall months are my favorite time for the various flavors of beers. Overall, I like all flavors year round.
  23. ISmith87

ISmith87 Initiate (0) Arizona Jul 19, 2011

I would say I mostly crave really dark strong beers, with chocolate/coffee/bourbon topping the list of flavors. Imperial Stouts and Old Ales are the top of the list, but definitely beers to end the night with.
  24. *sigh* You all warned me, but I did it anyway: I got into sour beers. Now they're the only thing I truly crave (though I still love every other style of beer I've tried).
    WD_Eisemann likes this.
  25. Overall, hops! But there are times when I really want something sour, and there is the fall/winter, when hop-forward beers have a timeshare with all manners of stout beer.
  26. i have to say that i crave hoppy beers most often but for some reason the "wheat, hefe" category is my strongest craving when i get it and it seems to come out of nowhere
  27. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (585) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

I love Saisons, if I see a new one I gotta try it, but I crave big hops..
  28. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

bourbon. Which is ironic because it's not beer. I'd say that I'm a huge fan of coffee, chocolate, but also delicious resinous hop flavors!
  29. VincentFrey

VincentFrey Savant (270) Maryland Jul 30, 2011

I love a funked up saison with a heavy lacto / pedio backing. or just a berliner weisse. sour and light is always refreshing.
  30. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Typically after a long, hard day's work, I look forward the hops and citrus of a refreshing IPA such as Two Hearted, Sculpin, or Union Jack.

There are plenty of beers that I enjoy more, but I don't "crave" them the way I do with IPA's. Sours are getting up there too but I just can't afford to drink them as often. I've got bourbon, cigar, and gun habits to feed as well.
    jds8411 and Scrapss like this.
  31. Moreish "flavor"
  32. Qbdoo

Qbdoo Savant (280) Illinois Sep 1, 2013

Hops, Hops, Hops. I love all kinds of beers but the weird thing is that that hoppy beers make me lose control. I crave them and then gulp them. Though I go through periods when do not crave them, when I crave them, I crave them like no other style, and then I guzzle them down at astonishing rates.
    jds8411 likes this.
  33. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (465) California Oct 12, 2008

Hops, hops, and more hops!
  34. Sipchue

Sipchue Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

The ones in my fridge. Could be anything, but I don't really crave it if I don't have it. That doesn't mean I don't pursue things, but to pursue and to crave are different for me. When I have it, I think about it, then I crave it. Then I typically go about satisfying that craving. Sorry for being vague, but I love beer.
  35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

For me, it's just like food. I crave variety, and I always keep lots of different types of beer in my rotation: hoppy, roasty, sour, malty, coffee, chocolate, tart, yeast, citrus, grain, bourbon... I think I would burn out if I stuck to just one style or even a dozen styles. The best thing about beer is its infinite variety.
  36. readyski

readyski Savant (255) California Jun 4, 2005

Seems like younger crowd guessing 30 something ultimately you will crave variety
    Its all good cheers
  37. Jayeblue24

Jayeblue24 Aficionado (190) Idaho Apr 11, 2012

I drink IPA's n Stouts on a regular basis....so I crave belgians the most but I went with hoppy :)
  38. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

My tastes change on the daily. my tongue has add/adhd or something of that nature. Honestly if I had to average what I crave most. I crave sweet malty beers.