1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What happened to all the Insanity?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CruisaC, Nov 4, 2012.

1. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (300) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

I recently, say 4 months ago, discovered this Weyerbacher gem. I proceeded to buy a 4pack here or there at my usual stops but lately I haven't seen any more around, even after actively looking at some semi- out of the way places. Anyone know the release schedule for this one, or if this has anything to do with the label redesign stuff? Searched the forums but didn't find much.

2. gamwich

gamwich Aficionado (205) Hawaii Feb 9, 2006

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Aficionado (135) Ohio May 30, 2008

I have noticed the same thing. Insanity has become my favorite easy to find off the shelf beer here in Ohio, except in the last month or two I can no longer find it (at least in the Dayton area). I am assuming the supply has run out for the most part until the next release early next year. I have three bottles left in my closet and wishing I had bought more when it was available.

4. I snatch it when I can....I feel that Weyerbacher is like a well-kept secret and therefore lies under the radar of most BA's 'tick-list'. Was into Weyerbacher well before their recent upgrade of their label art.

maximum12 likes this.
  5. It never made it's way up near me in upstate NY. Very depressing! I bought a ton of it last year.

6. They have a ton of it in Ithaca. Finger Lakes Beverage Center carries six or seven Weyerbacher offerings.

7. It's a little $$$ there though. Something like $17/4 pack.

8. gamwich pretty much answered that question; even though that's the 2012 release schedule Insanity has typically been released sometime in the January/February time block. Not to be a dick, I'm fortunate to live within 20 minutes and usually stock up on this every year.

9. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

That's not bad considering it's an excellent beer and very representative of the style, and the effort required to make a BA barleywine. Definitely in my top 5 list...just wish we got it out west.

10. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I drank it.

(SRSLY)

MarkIntihar likes this.
  11. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (300) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

I approve of your J-t-S avatar. And I may just have to DDT you for drinking all the Insanity.

12. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

There are some places down her in florida that still have plenty. BM me if you want to work something out.

13. I sold roughly three cases by the four-pack within two weeks of it's arrival last year. Once a customer purchased it, they would return a couple of days later for a second go. Personally, I thought it was terrible, but I know that I'm wrong for thinking that with all of the love it got.
    If anyone is interested, I have an early bottle from last year still in my refrigerator up for trade. I assume it's going to sit there for another year.

14. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I love this beer and always buy several four-packs; at around $11.99 here, it's one of the best values out there. We've still got it on shelves.

Kadonny likes this.
  15. I buy this whenever I see it, but then I LOVE BA English barleywines. There's better, no doubt, but those examples tend to be tough to find and/or $$$ imo.

16. Please tell me where I can find Insanity for $12/4-pack.

17. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Ive got like 4 bottles here in CA.
    Its around.

Just gotta call in a goandpickitupformebro. Its the Cali way.

Cheers!

18. Insanity doesn't get to the market until spring really, so it's no surprise it's sold out at a lot of places. I grabbed a few 4 packs this past spring/summer and still have some left. This is a way underhyped beer.

19. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

As mentioned above, it's not year-round. Last batch was a good six months ago.

20. Was just in Cleveland over the weekend and picked one of these up along with several other Weyerbachers. Looking forward to trying them.

21. Have bought upwards of 6 4-packs from 2011 in the last few months at local bottleshop, but paid $17/each.
    Not complaining at all, but $12/each and I'd go INSANE.
    Btw, on draft @ Hulmeville Inn recently but no growler fills :(

22. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

This beer ages well too. Had a 2008 a few months ago, still delish.

23. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

It got towed away.

24. Grey market?

25. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

yeah i had an even cooler one, but it was causing a huge disturbance in the website.

26. Theres some left at a certain store on Cape Cod I happen to work at

27. Pretty sure I watched an episode of Intervention (or some show like that) that featured Jake.