What homebrew are you drinking now? July 2014 edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlordi12, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

@nate4g63 Chinook is my favorite. I'm drinking my 75/25 Golden Promise/2-row all Chinook IPA right now and playing around in BeerSmith with my first 10 gallon batch (which I hope to make in early Aug.) Of course it's bittered with Chinook and late addn Chinook/Mosaic. I'm very stoked about making 10 gallons. Wife : not so much.

2. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Crusader (407) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Side-by-side tasting of my single-hopped Citra IPA and Simcoe IPA. Man, the Citra is SOOO potent and citrusy... almost too much of a good thing. I found the Simcoe to be much more subtle... so I mixed the two towards the end and think the two make an awesome combo. Next time I'm going to try Amarillo and Cascade for comparisons. Really glad I did this - both beers were VERY tasty!

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tonight's dinner: Teriyaki shrimp with cabbage, bell pepper, scallions, cilantro and garlic with rice. Paired with Enygma, my dryhopped Saison. Needs some more carbonation, only a few days in the fridge so far though. Coming along nicely.

[​IMG]

4. skemp

skemp Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 Arizona

I am sipping on my Peanut butter Haboob Brown Ale. its so toasty!!!!

5. Bjlps

Bjlps Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Massachusetts

Looks great man.

How do you like the Pacific Jade? I have 2 oz in my fridge I was gonna use as a late addition in an IPA with some Nelson and Motueka. I'm considering replacing the Pacific Jade with some Ella in the IPA, and using the Pacific Jade in a saison with some Sorachi Ace. Thoughts?

6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Thanks!

This is my first time using Pacific Jade, and Nelson for that matter, so I can't really tell you how much of what I'm tasting was contributed by the Pacific Jade. I will say that I used an ounce more of the Nelson and PJ than Columbus...and while the Columbus is there...it's completely over shadowed by the other two.

FWIW, I will say I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Bjlps likes this.
  7. Quetzolcotl

Quetzolcotl Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Drinking an IPA with El Dorado, Nelson Sauvin, and Centennial hops. Not sure that I like it yet. I get a lot of white grapes and earthness. It is pretty different so hopefully I'll warm up to it, otherwise I'm going to dry hop in the keg w Simcoe.

BILF likes this.
  8. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Traditional witbier...3.9% abv if I recall correctly. Good summer refresher.

[​IMG]

9. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Eh what the hell, pulled this sample last night since my krausen was looking weird as hell. Turns out it's just the low ph causing the weird look. Best sourness I've gotten yet! A Berliner Weisse, will rack on 4.5# of raspberries this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what the sour mash looked like, never had such a strong growth:
    [​IMG]

10. choverstad

choverstad Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2014 North Carolina

That looks great! I am planning a similar pumpkin brew for this fall and was wondering if you would be willing to share your recipe? I have a couple others I'm looking at, but looking to make it unique. Also, when carbing with brown sugar - how much did you use?

11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Centennial/Cascade blonde. Still needs a little more time in the fridge to clear but most won't last that long.

[​IMG]

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  12. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Raspberry Grisette
    [​IMG]

13. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Beautiful.

BILF and JohnSnowNW like this.
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Not really summer drinkin', but fits the bills today.

Barrel Aged RIS.. It's really coming together now that it's been on the gas for a couple weeks. TONS of vanilla, toffee, and coconut from the barrel, and the richest belgian bittersweet chocolate..

I do, indeed have to pat myself on the back for this one. It's up there and exceeds some commercial examples for sure.
    [​IMG]

15. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Congrats...that looks/sounds delicious.

16. FATC1TY

Pooh-Bah

It's a triumph for me, personally. I've brewed some large beers, and never really felt I could make a solid stout like I had in mind. Our APA stout was nice, but as a style I loved, I never really love, loved, the stouts I had on hand.

Until now! I'm seriously contemplating entering this in any comp I can get into at the moment. Not tootin' my horn, but I prefer this over BCBS, and I think BCBS is awesome, and it's something I can't get locally and have to hoard.

17. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Is it something you could share on the recipe page? I'm looking to brew a nice RIS for this winter and don't have a house recipe dialed in yet. No barrel but I've had some decent results cubes. Yours looks and sounds great.

18. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ahtanum APA

19. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine
    Deactivated

Saturday July 19th. Quad finished in 2 weeks! Got rave reviews from patrons and brewer of sixten brewing Chris.
    [​IMG]

CurtFromHershey, BILF and JohnSnowNW like this.
  20. FATC1TY

Pooh-Bah

Yeah, give me a chance to get all my notes together from it, and I'll be happy to post it.

cjgiant and Jesse14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.